Etiquette in the Middle East

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by S.A.M., Jun 24, 2007.

1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

whats 2 thumbs down:shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

What happened to the word prejudice? Nowdays, people are either "perfect" loving souls(I call bullshit) or they are "racist". Not even 20 years ago there was a word - prejudice to describe blanket statements like "white men can't jump", "asians can't drive", "black people can't say no to chicken" or using sayings like "bargin like an arab or jew". Now Racism means (to me) you want to kill those people - you HATE them.

Everyone is prejudiced to one degree or another. You would really have to be an isolated or very enlightened person to not hold any generalizations based on how people look.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

now even I bargain like a jew sometimes...Like buying big things like my car...Difference is I am NOT RUDE about it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

Hmmmmm..

You were saying niet?

So is shorty prejudiced? Or is she a racist (something she admitted to being herself)? Is there a difference between the two?

Some people actually are enlightened.

Isolated individuals are the ones who tend to make the generalisations. Could be based on fear (such as the fear of being taken over), or it could be based on pure stupidity and a lack of knowledge or understanding that would otherwise make them more enlightened.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its alright to complain; its when you say nothing that misunderstandings happen.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Bells Staff Member

How do you know you aren't rude about it?

You don't mind bargaining something down because you are the individual buying it, ergo, you are attempting to save your pretty little pennies. But when it is done to you, you find it rude. Interesting, no?

A teacher explaining and trying to teach a child something?

How could they!!!

Oh hang on... It is what they are meant to do.

I wonder if your reaction would have been the same if the teacher was spending a bit more time with a child who was mentally disabled (as one example). Yes, some students need more care and attention in class. If your child is not one, be thankful instead of being so resentful.

If your son needed the same level of attention, then he would most likely get it.

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

okay yes I said I am racist to some extent.....but I DON"t want to kill these ppl. ( by nietzche definition) They just get me mad....because almost every encounter i have with them is not good. I owned a store at one time, even there they were the RUDEST ppl.

11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yeah i bargain in a good way......I don't cut whatever the price in by a 1/4 of its price......then I don't throw the money at someone when i have to pay more then i wanted. I will just say thank you and walk away from the deal then.

The teachers should not have to teach them ENGLISH this is CANADA! We speak engish here....why don't they set up their own schools then? if they want to speak their language and keep all their customs.
    they should know the language before they start school. Special needs students in our schools usually have a separate smaller class that they are all in.....if not they have a helper in the class who helps them. (that is totally different in my eyes) Why don't they separate these kids from the regular class as well then.......to first practise on their english?

12. Bells Staff Member

Hang on. Let me get this straight.

You don't think a child should be allowed to come to school to learn every subject, including english since they have english classes, if they cannot speak english?

I won't waste my time pointing out the irony.

They are not coming to your schools to keep speaking their language or their custom. They (I can't believe I am even having to say this because it is so blatantly obvious) go to your schools so they can learn english.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Darn, I should have stuck to my native language, instead of wasting 20 plus years of my life getting an English education.

14. Bells Staff Member

Heh!

Well you don't live in Canada, so you don't really need it do you?

It is akin to saying that a person attending French classes should know how to speak French first.

15. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Shorty is prejudiced, she is just too lazy(like everyone else) you say or type the word, even though it is more accurate. I have my faults too, yes I am not enlightened, yes I know a few people really are ....and the rest are just full of shit liars(they ARE prejudiced too). Where I grew up, in Alberta immigrants were not as pushy as they are here in the Toronto area. It is true they are pushy, maybe they feel they have to. Maybe they are emboldened by the larger numbers they have here and the very strong communities they have built here(they can be isolated from the rest of Canada or a general "Canadian culture" if there is one anymore).

Still, this stuff does not even seem to last even one generation. Many of Shorty's 10year old's friends are "brown" and talk/act/screw around just like him.

What is frustrating to us is that immigrants are emboldened where we live to the point they think they can operate just like they did, whence they came. They cannot expect to do this and not get people pissed off. No more than if in fact I did move to Saudi Arabia and talked/worked through prayer time.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think its related to what they call geographical segregation. Most people don't want immigrants in their neighborhood, so only certain locations get allocated to them. Then when many of them are in one place, they fall into familiar patterns of behaviour because they are less exposed to other patterns and also probably because they feel comforted by having an identity that does not feel oppressive.

17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

The problem is that school doesn't seem to have an ESL class(maybe they do later?). When I was growing up, kids whom had poor english got taught in a different class. As it should be until they have enough English that does not slow down the whole class.

18. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Sorry but you can't walk into a grade 5 class.....(my others sons class)
    and expect to do grade 5 lessons if you barely speak english........
    They shouldn't be put into the regular class.....do you think they should be?

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

thanks nietzche..........exactly what I meant.....

20. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Wasn't that rule more important before the invention of soap? And toilet paper?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

We're talking middle of the desert here. And do you wash your hand with soap long enough to sing the Happy Birthday song? Cos thats how long it should be washed after using toilet paper.

22. John99 Banned Banned

S.A.M i thought you were Indian.

Who goes into the toilet with you to check on what hand your using?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

We have cameras for that sort of thing.