Ethics question

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Varda, Jan 7, 2012.

?

Should I tell them?

1. Tell them

50.0%
  2. Don't tell them

50.0%
  1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

And then you sue for unfair dismissal

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Wow - I'd hate to own a company and be in this position.
    The whole reason I would hire someone is to perform a duty. Assuming they aren't going to be there to perform the duty, then why hire them? If I have a product with a scheduled release date in n-amount of time, and the hire the new person....... then find out a month later they aren't going to be working to help my company meet the deadline, I would be up shit creek.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Your husband is correct.

Then you don't have a good grasp of what honesty is and isn't. Honesty is telling the truth. Honesty is not disclosing every piece of information about yourself. When you interviewed for this specific job, did you tell them all about your first job when you were a teenager? Probably not. The reason is because the interviewer has a very specific business need and your teenage job doesn't meet that need. It would actually go a long way to ruin your chances of getting a job. Saying "Hey, I am pregnant" is no different because it doesn't do anything to meet your interviewer's business needs. If you say you are pregnant and you are certain you didn't get hired because of it (discrimination), good luck with winning in court. Your interviewer will state "I was asking about this person's job qualifications and she said she was pregnant. I can't afford to hire someone who is so stupid that they don't realize that being pregnant is not a skill that fills my business need". The end result? They win, you lose, and now you have a reputation amongst the HR community (yes Human Resources personnel have a community that span many different organizations across the U.S. and you will get a reputation).

There is no telling how an individual will think; however, the average employer will avoid the situation altogether.

There is no such thing as objective "fair" and the question is therefore kind of silly.

Nope.

You tell them the truth if they ask. You don't tell them anything if they don't.

The answer to your employer's question would be "Tell you what exactly? That I am female, have reproductive organs, and am sexually active? Do you feel that would have been something we should have discussed?". An answer of anything but "No" in that scenario would lead to an HR nightmare for your boss and company. The questioning would end there unless your boss was beyond stupid... in which case you follow through with a multi-million dollar lawsuit and retire.

I think the online comments you read are niave.

What you should tell the religious is that the peope who would discriminate against your being pregnant are statistically very likely to be theists.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.