Ethic/Fraud on research

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by cat77, Sep 16, 2007.

1. cat77 Registered Member

I need some help/advice. (And sorry for the long post).

I found myself in a situation that's killing me. I overhead and then was told by a friend about a suspicious grad student on his/her lab. This student fabricated and/or faked data (in the best case scenario the data exists and the student made the figures as clean as possible).

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Well, I have absolutely nothing to do with this field, the only thing that links me to this person is that I am pursuing my PhD in the same institution. I saw the fake data (and indeed... it's fab, no doubts on this). My fiend told everybody above him/her, and finally the PI got to know. What the PI did?? Hired the student as a post-doc... The student thesis and at least one of the papers is completely made up... (A respected journal with impact factor >8).

I made up a copy from the files (without my friend permission), and also you can tell something is wrong with the paper figures just by copying and pasting on photoshop and making some changes on contrast/brightness. :bugeye:

Now it comes my question. What should I do??? This is killing myself, I know it's wrong, but were should I trace my moral threshold?? Do I have anything to do with it?? My friend asked me to absolutely keep this to myself, although I didn't say I would and he/she knows how all this is upsetting me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What is my role in all this?? And Gosh, how something like this can happen? And a PI just trust the student like that without at least asking to see the ORIGINALS??? It would be that simple...

I really, really appreciate any sincere comment, please, try to put yourself on my position before commenting it.

Thanks A LOT!