Ethanol at home

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Naturelles, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Naturelles Future Scientist Registered Senior Member

Yea, I used to beable to get it easily in the US for like a dollar, but here don't get many things

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I remember once when I went to get it at the center of the city, even there they questioned me why I want it, I told them about my science etc. interests etc. and that I'm a student, and they even gave me a discount

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

You have a fantastic and beautiful country.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I think that's only if you drink it. I heard of stories about people making their own booze during prohibition and not getting it quite right, and drinking it would cause you to lose your sight.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Naturelles Future Scientist Registered Senior Member

Well, I wont' be drinking it at all

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

The cost of ethanol in US (and most places) is mainly the tax, but still it is not economical to make it in small batches, except in dilute water solutions such as beer and wine.

Some is available tax free with special permits (or was years ago in US) for chemical use etc. I once stole about half a liter of reagent grade ETOH (bottle was already open and in use) for spiking punch at a party from an industrial chemical company's research lab where I was working as a summer student.

I think they can get it at industrial grade (lower purity) in 55 gallon drums but it is tightly controlled. Perhaps it has something else in it in small concentration to "prevent misuse."

9. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Afaik, she lives in USA.

My bad, I though he was just going to distill alcohol, and not ethanol, specifically. Methanol is also alcohol and distilling it could cause inhalation which then cause blindness. Material safety data sheet of methanol:

http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/methanol.htm

On that link, section 3:

10. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

When I firstly read this thread, as the OP is from India, it reminds me to an article I read some time ago about people in India who practice wood burning to make their own alcohol at home, and as a result, they are suffering from blindness (I suppose it's the methanol which is also known as wood alcohol). I can't find the original article, but these ones are still related:

Other article:
    Main point is, the OP should take precaution before making alcohol at home through distillation:

11. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I'd strangle somebody if they tried to clean my vinyl collection with ethanol :bugeye: