eternal return

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by phil82, Apr 9, 2002.

1. phil82 Registered Member

Hi, I am a second year maths student at university in england. I am doing a philosophy course about Nietzsche at the moment though and am stuggling. The essay is entitled “What does Nietzsche mean by ‘Eternal Return’? Does he provide any good reason for supposing it to be true?” I am not asking anyone to write the essay for me just to give me a few ideas where to start particularly references to his works. Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Can you provide me the text? I can explain it in more details...

Whay I understood is that Nietzsche in the "Eternal Return" is talking about the quest of the human being to return to our original nature. Our egos are like icebergs in a vast ocean, our Highter Selves. Our ego, our conscient, is just one part of ourselves. The "Return" that Nietzsche seems to talk about is the return to our original conscience that, Psychologically speaking, is our Highter Selves or True Selves, our original Nature.

I would like to read it carefully though... What I'm saying is just about the knowledge I have about Nietzsche and Junguian Psychology...
    I just read a little bit about it some time ago...
    If you can provide me his text ("Eternal Return"...) I could probably give you some more insights.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Love,
    Nelson

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Please don't mix jung with neitzsche. Freddy was not a psychiatrist. He may have been psychotic, but not a psychiatrist.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member