Erdogan takes a stand or why the Goldstone Report won't go away

Discussion in 'Politics' started by S.A.M., Oct 16, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So, Turkeys erstwhile Prime Minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan has done what no one else and especially the US, has the balls to do.

He's taken a stand on Gaza and he's sticking to it. In the now almost ridiculous drama surrounding the Goldstone Report, there appears to be a role of serendipity [or karma, if you like]. After the US veto prevented an investigation into the Gaza massacre the UNHRC took it up, surprisingly headed by Richard Goldstone, South African jurist with impeccable credentials.

With Turkey holding the rotating presidency for the Security Council this month and the Secretary-General of the UN Ban ki Moon as well as the President of the UN General Assembly [Libya] all insisting on adopting the resolution [a combination unlikely to occur ever again], the decision to hold a session in Geneva to discuss the Goldstone report has been passed :yay:

Regardless of whatever happens after [the US will do its best to ensure the buck dies in Geneva] this is a tremendous tremendous moment for all the little people out there.

Thank you, Erdogan [hope those impotent Arab leaders are squirming in their seats]. A Real President!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sources:

1. UN agrees to 'Goldstone session'

2. The price of occupation

3. A Profile In Courage: Turkey Takes A Stand For Justice <---- awesome article! see Netanyahu's combover!

4. One minute in Davos: Erdogan walks out

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

I am sure he will be a target pretty soon. Quite recently attempts to assasinate him and UN members have been carried out. Begs a question is US is related to these attempts...
    coincidence right.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,567021,00.html

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

I don't know, how is that going to work out. It's a weird situation for me. Don't like the man a bit.
    He lacks political rhetoric Sam. We are America's ally, guess who is America's beloved one. I am having difficulty to believe it's not a political show. What's been said in prime time is often not the thing done in the end.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

The media is going to slap the anti-semitism card on the South African jurist. Then they're going to find something he said 25 years ago disparaging other races. Then he'll be completely ignored by the US media.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats last week's news. Obviously it was not headlines in the US

9. countezero Registered Senior Member

I don't have a lot of warm feelings for Erdogan, either, but his opposition to this seems legit. The Turks have not participated with Israel in a recent military exercises. But they still buy weapons from Israel and they have extremely close intelligence ties.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

11. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

oh, you've seen it. I was watching the news. LOL, I just signed into tell you the TV show crisis, Sam. Did you see the segments?

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but they weren't half as bad as the live telecast of the war I saw on Al Jazeera last January. Those were awful. Real people, real blood, real kids clutching their mothers corpses, dizzy with hunger. With the IDF standing by, watching on. No one will ever convince me of the "morality" of those assholes.

13. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

I know. You know. They know. Everyone knows. And they are creating a crisis over a tv show. Reflecting a fact. Morality. It makes me laugh.

I refuse to participate in those 'discussions'. I can't handle it. I don't know you, but sometimes I find you too humanly stubborn even to discuss it Sam. I mean, I feel like saying 'come on, girl, you really think he gets you?!" to you. Lol. Then I am so full of hopelessness and tired of it maybe.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The stakes are too high don't you think, to give up on something that has the potential to escalate into a world war? Israel is full of radicals and the US full of fools. But these radical fools are killing people every single day without accountability and dragging the world down with them. Over what? SUVs and tin huts?

Did you see how the rest of "NATO" also backed out of the military execises to protest on behalf of lil ole Israel? How they tried to delay the human rights commission, veto the report?

At the end of the day, this is who they are. They don't want to set a precedent, all their hands are blood soaked

15. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

OK.
    I don't believe that anything could be done. It's as is simple as this.
    I gave up snuggling into that warm feeling of belief in humanity years ago, Sam. And not that fools nor those fanatics will stop being what they are. The maintanance of their current existance is set up on this as far as I see.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Or the morality of Hama bombing innocent Israeli children. No one forced them to do that. Such acts should be stopped by any means necessary.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is that before or after the occupation? Israel should stop filling the war zone with civilian shields. If anyone was doing to the US what Israel is ding to Palestine, they'd see a lot more than rockets that kill 10 civilians in as many years

18. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

You seem like a reasonable person. Don't act like you don't know how far everything passed that.

19. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I wonder if the Armenians and Kurds have considered hiring Goldstone for their own causes? This guy is damn good and worth every penny, just give him a mandate to find evidence of whatever it is and he'll make it happen. Turkey would probably accuse such a report of being biased, one-sided, and based on uncorroborated partisan sources, but Goldstone's been in the business long enough to know how to keep these kinds of claims off the radar screen. In one ear and out the other, worry about objectivity later because right now we got us some pigs to roast!

The times, they are-a-changin'. In the future the way to win wars will not be through cunning, courage, or tact, you just need to make sure you take vastly higher casualties than your enemy, and hold out long enough for the world to forget who started the fighting in the first place. Israel will be the first of many sacrificial lambs in this glorious tribunal Jihad. The sentence will be 10 years of UN-mandated rocketing in Sderot and Ashkelon, with more serious punishments to follow if Israel commits the crime of hitting back.

P.S. No, I'm not saying Israel is innocent, I know many of you wish it were that easy to write me off. If you're going to investigate war crimes, do it properly. Guess I'm just not a big fan of railroad trials and hearsay.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm not even sure what you mean. If Hamas does not stop their terrorism, next time it will be worse. They brought this on themselves and the world knows it, that is why there isn't more sympathy for them. That's what happens when Palestinians elect such terrorists.

22. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

Armenians and Kurds don't need to hire anyone for their cause. It's perfectly getting to where it's planned by the same players of this current issue.

I don't get the scene you are picturing though. Change is not sudden, over in one night. And without that, it will come to the same conclusion civilians will die. So it's the same. For me it's ugly to think 'now their turn to die'. It's disgusting.

23. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

Evidently, you don't.