Environazis target soft Toilet Paper.

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by madanthonywayne, Feb 28, 2009.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Ok, so the environmentalists don't want us driving vehicles large enough to fit the entire family (or driving cars at all, really. They'd prefer we be crammed into crappy public transportation). They don't want us to have nice, big suburban houses. They don't want us to eat meat. They don't want us to have electric power (well, they don't approve of any means of generating it). They don't want us to breed.

As if all of that wasn't bad enough, now they're going after soft toilet paper!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The tenderness of the delicate American buttock is causing more environmental devastation than the country's love of gas-guzzling cars, fast food or McMansions, according to green campaigners. At fault, they say, is the US public's insistence on extra-soft, quilted and multi-ply products when they use the bathroom.

"This is a product that we use for less than three seconds and the ecological consequences of manufacturing it from trees is enormous," said Allen Hershkowitz, a senior scientist at the Natural Resources Defence Council.

"Future generations are going to look at the way we make toilet paper as one of the greatest excesses of our age. Making toilet paper from virgin wood is a lot worse than driving Hummers in terms of global warming pollution." Making toilet paper has a significant impact because of chemicals used in pulp manufacture and cutting down forests.

A campaign by Greenpeace seeks to raise consciousness among Americans about the environmental costs of their toilet habits and counter an aggressive new push by the paper industry giants to market so-called luxury brands.

More than 98% of the toilet roll sold in America comes from virgin forests, said Hershkowitz. In Europe and Latin America, up to 40% of toilet paper comes from recycled products. Greenpeace this week launched a cut-out-and-keep ecological ranking of toilet paper products.

"We have this myth in the US that recycled is just so low quality, it's like cardboard and is impossible to use," said Lindsey Allen, the forestry campaigner of Greenpeace.

The campaigning group says it produced the guide to counter an aggressive marketing push by the big paper product makers in which celebrities talk about the comforts of luxury brands of toilet paper and tissue.

Those brands, which put quilting and pockets of air between several layers of paper, are especially damaging to the environment.

Paper manufacturers such as Kimberly-Clark have identified luxury brands such as three-ply tissues or tissues infused with hand lotion as the fastest-growing market share in a highly competitive industry. Its latest television advertisements show a woman caressing tissue infused with hand lotion.

The New York Times reported a 40% rise in sales of luxury brands of toilet paper in 2008. Paper companies are anxious to keep those percentages up, even as the recession bites. And Reuters reported that Kimberly-Clark spent $25m in its third quarter on advertising to persuade Americans against trusting their bottoms to cheaper brands.

But Kimberly-Clark, which touts its green credentials on its website, rejects the idea that it is pushing destructive products on an unwitting American public.

Dave Dixon, a company spokesman, said toilet paper and tissue from recycled fibre had been on the market for years. If Americans wanted to buy them, they could. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/feb/26/toilet-roll-america
    I'm so sick of these bastards wanting to dictate every aspect of my life. Fuck them. I don't need some holier than thou jackass telling me which brand of paper to wipe my ass with. This is really getting absurd.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

bastards...I agree...they want us to use one of those automatic sprinkling water toilets.

and once we will start using those...they will say that we are using too much water...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You can always just use UNBLEACHED toilet paper.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

UNBLEACHED!

8. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

just who you can marry and how you can have sex with. oh and making choices about your own body.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

By far the majority of car trips taken in the USA have 1 person only in the car.

Actually, I think you'll find most of them advocate improving public transportation.

McMansions are expensive to heat, cool and light, and environmentally damaging in many other ways. One-person households, like one-person cars, are becoming more and more common in the US.

Eating meat is certainly environmentally inefficient in the extreme. Let alone the moral issues involved.

I think you'll find that environmentalists support renewable energy.

Overbreeding is not a problem in the US. The birth rate is below replacement.

Putting the softness of your bum above the health of the planet is selfish, don't you think? Nobody is asking you to give up toilet paper - just to be a little more responsible about it.

In fact, the same considerations carry over to a lot of things in your household. Instead of that massive two-door fridge I'm sure you have, why not have a single-door fridge and store less food (not to mention the deep-freeze in your garage that contains food you'll probably never eat)? Instead of all those halogen lights you have in your hallway, why not use fluorescent energy-saving bulbs? Instead of leaving your computer running 24/7, why not switch it off when you go to bed? Instead of that Hummer than makes you feel like a big man when you drive to the office, why not take the train, or even buy a sensible car (heaven forbid)?

If Americans would implement just a few easy energy-saving behaviours (e.g. switch off lights in rooms when nobody is in there or going in there for a while), both the environment and the US concerns about energy could be drastically reduced. But what it might mean is that a few fat, lazy people might have to downgrade their fluffy bum-padding toilet paper and actually put others above their own comfort just a bit. It's unlikely to happen, at least while madanthonywayne and his millions of like-minded thinkers are around. Wouldn't you say?

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

PS I must say that a rich American complaining about people saying he ought to give up some luxury is ironic in the extreme. Are you so totally disconnected with how 90% of the world live?

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I don't think people are "disconnected" about the other 90%, James, they just don't give a damn about 'em!!

And interestingly, James, isn't it obvious to you that that's true of MOST people in the world? If people did care, then those 90% wouldn't be poor, destitute, hungry, sick, homeless, and all those other similar adjectives.

People claim to care, James .....but "claiming" isn't the same as caring, is it.

Baron Max

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You can say this is beneath your dignity to care about, but you cannot argue with the fact of it's environmental impact.

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I think you missed the point, Spider. I think practically everyone "claims" to care, but the state of the world, the people of the world, is a clear indication that they don't care.

Sure I can argue with it. However, as I'm sure you're aware, everything has an environmental impact ...good, bad or otherwise!

Baron Max

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Everything has an environmental impact, but some things more than others. All that paper pulp and processing is significant. You can go on and do things your own way as I'm sure you will.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If humans had stopped fucking so much in the early years, we wouldn't have to worry about paper pulp and processing. If there were only, say one million people on Earth, then we could wipe our ass with diamonds! So, ....we can blame it all on the fucking too much!

Fucking is to blame for all of man's problems in the world today.

Baron Max

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Fucking Amen !

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I agree, people selfishly have more children than they should, probably only to assuage their own loneliness, since their lives have no more depth than a sitcom. Our culture is profoundly sick, and toilet paper is only a part of it.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

only because corporate greed refuses to develop solar technology or efficient generators for wind energy.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How is wiping your bum with paper different from showering with tissues? Besides the obvious poo in the first case?

21. Exeter Registered Senior Member

This is a major topic. It is not so much corporate greed, but the accumulated level of this comfort zone we have come to know, which we all know, cannot last forever. I would be content with becoming a little less dependant on the vast machine we call corporate greed, but a mighty change has to come first. In us.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Who showers with tissues?

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Well, we have a six person, one dog, two cat household. The heating, cooling, lighting, and mortgage payment on my house (about 4,000 square feet) combined are less than the rent for a studio apartment in New York City.
    We've discussed this before. I find the idea that eating meat is a moral issue laughable. As to it's environmental efficiency, who cares? Meat is, by far, my favorite food. I'll not give it up.
    In theory, but if the power lines run anywhere near them, they'll oppose solar power. If the wind mills obstruct their view, they'll oppose wind power. Hydro power? Well, the fish might be annoyed. The only power they support is that power that magically appears in their electric socket.
    Not true, the US fertility rate is just at replacement and the most recent data shows the highest birthrate in four decades!:bravo:
    Trees are a renewable resource, right? You cut them down, you plant some more. The US has more trees standing now than when Columbus first set foot in the New world. I don't buy the premise that toilet paper injures te planet. It's just more scare mongering by the loony environazis eager to make people feel guilty even when they wipe their asses. Fuck that. I'll wipe guilt free with my triple ply top notch TP.
    For a guy who's never set foot in my house, you sure act like you know everything there is to know about it. Yes, I have a big fridge. Why? I have a big family. We go thru a gallon of milk in no time. I'd think you'd prefer we make fewer trips to the grocery store? As to the freezer, what makes you think we don't eat the food in there? I'm a cheap bastard. I hate spending money. One of the reasons for the freezer is that it allows us to buy stuff on sale and save it for when we need it. Hamburger goes on sale for 99 cents a pound, buy 50 pounds of it and put it in the freezer. Also, we can go to the Wonder Bread store and get bread at a huge discount. But the wonder bread store is far away, so we stock up on bread and then freeze it until we need it.
    I told you, I hate wasting money so I've been using compact fluorescent bulbs for years. Not to save the environment, to save money on power.
    I always turn off my computer when I'm not using it so as not to waste power and, therefore, money.
    Again, I don't like to waste money so I personally drive a small car that gets decent gas milage since 99% of the time I'm riding alone. Our family car that my wife uses to scoot the kids around and we use for vacations and such is a Chevy Suburban which is one of the few vehicles large enough to fit us all (especially back when we also had an aupair). As far as taking the train goes, there is no train.
    Guess what? I'm the guy in the family who goes around turning off all the lights and yelling at the kids to turn off the lights when they leave a room. Again, not because of the environment, but because I'm the one paying the damned electric bill.
    Fat and lazy? Again, you presume much my arrogant aussie friend. Just because I don't buy into your brand of envirnmental blackmail doesn't make me lazy. We simply have different priorities. I won't be blackmailed into letting some jackass environmentalist dictate which brand of TP I use.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009