Entropy is Wrong

Discussion in 'Alternative Theories' started by markl323, Jul 17, 2013.

1. markl323 Registered Senior Member

check out this video, he makes a good case. first time i have heard of it and it blows my mind.

[video=youtube;PIa9hjsIQJ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIa9hjsIQJ4[/video]

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. schema Registered Member

I think you might be hard pressed to find anyone that is going to agree with this, or even watch the video. The laws of thermodynamics are pretty solid. There isn't much room for conjecture there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

From wiki:
    He is/was a sociologist. He has no credentials or credence in physics.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

What the hell, I watched the video. He's an idiot.

He starts by equating entropy with disorder. Then he makes the profound discovery that there are isolated pockets of increasing order in the universe - e.g. the formation of atoms - and he calls that the "big picture".

8. arauca Banned Banned

So what, but does he not have a point from the idea of Big Bang . Did not the subatomic particle become ordered atoms , did not the stars formed organized into galaxy. did not ATP and ribose formed an RNA , or ATP and other pyridine and deoxyribose formed an DNA.

9. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

That's the little picture. The big picture is the overall entropy of the universe. (And hint: entropy is not about "disorder".)

10. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

The other explanation is that particles coalesce randomly. The apparent order is nothing more than the filling of states as allowed by their intrinsic properties and the properties resulting from bringing them together.

There is not much organization there either. They appear to be randomized internally, with structures that arise from basic principles like gravity.

Which is true of any other molecular structure. They appear to be organized, but they are simply the possible configurations that would be expected from the random reactions that brought them together.

11. arauca Banned Banned

Come one guy give me a brake with your random . Opposite charge attract each other . that is not random .

12. CptBork Valued Senior Member

A universe full of iron and radiation at a uniform temperature might seem to be as ordered as one could get, yet it's practically the most disordered configuration possible

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. Such a state has by far the most possible ways of being achieved of all the different configurations our universe can take. Entropy is the real deal, we're screwed (in a few billion or trillion years).

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I wish people wouldn't present themselves as experts in subjects they know little about.
    It is schoolboy stuff.

I can think of one thing he'd be good at.
    He'd be perfect in a film about a psychopathic dentist.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013