entropy and expansion of universe

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by ash64449, Mar 31, 2013.

1. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

theoretically full equilibrium will never be reached.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ash64449 Registered Senior Member

Oh. I should think about this!! I thought exactly opposite of what you said!! I would have confused Q-reeus's answer.Thank you!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ash64449 Registered Senior Member

I am confused.....:bawl:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Notice eram used the words not always. Things have to be taken in a total context. Take the example of entropy of a perfect crystalline solid I dealt with in #29. As an isolated system, yes entropy tends to zero as T goes to zero for just that solid. But in order for T to drop it cannot be an isolated system. In order to extract thermal energy in an otherwise uniform room temperature environment, some refrigeration cycle involving a larger system must interact with it, and the total entropy of the combined system will always have increased - Carnot cycle. Following article may be useful:
    http://www.everyscience.com/Chemistry/Physical/Entropy/b.1307.php

Getting back to the universe as a whole, I suggest to study this Wiki article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

8. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

When does decreasing temperature mean decreasing entropy?

9. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

An example would be the freezing of water.

10. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I agree, and I will add that in the past, as far back in time as you look, there was never a time when the process of increasing entropy started. Just like full equilibrium will never be reached, so too did the process of increasing entropy never have a beginning.

11. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

If water freezes on its own it is increasing entropy. If water is forced to freeze it required power, which increased entropy, so you're wrong on both counts.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

But we approach it asymptotically. Maximum entropy is on the time scale at positive infinity. As there is less and less order left to dissipate into disorder, the rate of breakdown will, of necessity, decrease.

If you set a boiling-hot pot on an ice-cold counter, the pot cools and the counter warms very rapidly. But as their temperatures approach each other, the rates of cooling and warming slow. The pot and the counter will never have identical temperatures, but they will soon be so close that we can't feel the difference, then eventually so close that we can't even measure the difference. There is now so little order in that system that it's approaching equilibrium v-e-e-e-ry slowly. The energy differential between the molecules in the pot and the molecules in the counter is so tiny that this differential cannot perform very much work very quickly. You get to the point that only a few thousand molecules in each object are above or below the equilibrium temperature, and now you may have to wait a year before any two of them interact with each other. When there are only a few hundred, the wait will be a millennium. When there are only a few dozen, it may happen only once every twenty billion years.

13. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Expounding on my earlier claim that disorder isn't that useful a notion in systems at equilibrium.

Thermodynamics partitions a system so that as the partitions get smaller, the average kinetic energy of each approaches the same value. That means, regardless which partition you measure the temperature of, you get the same value. So every partition is randomized 'identically' (i.e. has the same 'Maxwellian' distribution of energies over all particles in a partition).

This is analogous to having a set of strings of characters, where each string is a random arrangement of the set of characters; so the set of strings is like the set of partitions, and each string has an identical measure of randomness (which is the information entropy). Equilibrium then corresponds to the disappearance of strings with 'structure'; each string contains an identical 'random' message. . .

14. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

that's an interesting concept. but I guess that whatever order that has been dissipated into disorder can dissipate even further.

15. ash64449 Registered Senior Member

I am confused!! just answer this question. Is Entropy the measure of disorder? Does Increasing Entropy mean decreasing usable Energy? Which has High Entropy? Comparatively hot or cold objects?

16. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

The explanation is not so straightforward.

You could try watching this, though it's in Portuguese.

[video=youtube;2iCJ-T_IHTM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iCJ-T_IHTM[/video]

17. ash64449 Registered Senior Member

C'mon!! How can i understand Portuguese??

18. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

I couldn't find the English version. It used to be online, but all were taken down. Anyway what's your mother tongue? I think arauca is Spanish.

19. ash64449 Registered Senior Member

What about you?

I am an Indian.

20. wellwisher Banned Banned

Entropy has many definitions such as a measure of disorder. However, defining entropy as only disorder is somewhat misleading, since two daughter cells from one mother cell, will increase the entropy, even though both daughter cells retain the order needed for life.

As such, although disorder is an important aspect of entropy, this definition does not include all entropy situations. A better definition for entropy is connected to information, with an increase in entropy implicit of an increase in information needed to define the new system. Disorder will require more information to define, than will order, since order has repeat patterns. While two cells from one cell now needs double the information to keep track of both.

Since time moves to the future, in our universe, that alone adds more information/entropy to everything, since it adds information associated with a building history time-line. The expansion of the universe, not only occurs in time but it also expands distance, thereby increasing the information needed to define the universe.

The expansion of space-time, by speeding up time, also speeds up the rate at which entropy will increase. One way to see this is consider two twins, each working in a factory on identical machines, which produce one defect per hour, on the average. The defect represents an entropy increase, since it adds new information to the redundancy of the desired uniform product.

One twin is in our reference, while the other twin we will have traveling near C, where time slows relative to the first twin. If we compare the machines (side-by-side) the reference with the slower time reference will generate defects slower than the machine on the stationary earth reference. Side-by-side the stationary reference makes defects faster because time is faster. The expanding universe, since it cause time to speed up (expanding space-time) speeds up rate of entropy increase.

For entropy to increase, the system needs to absorb energy. This is why entropy is often associated with the inefficiencies in machines; wasted heat due to friction. Or if we boil a liquid into a gas, the increase of entropy to get the higher gases, needs to absorb the heat of vaporization. If we assume dark energy is causing the expanding universe, and the expansion of space-time is increasing the rate of entropy increase, the amount of dark energy in the universe needs to be lowering as it is absorbed into entropy. The energy within the dark energy is conserved within the entropy/information.

If you look at gravity, gravity will lower entropy. This can be inferred from GR, with the increasing gravity causing time to slow. Using the twin factory workers, the slowing of time due to gravity and the contracting space-time well slows the rate of defects, therefore slows entropy. The loss of entropy releases energy. This means entropy needs to accelerate elsewhere with energy being recycled for this purpose.

I would guess the universe is integrated and that gravity, using the substance of matter, by lowering the entropy rate in time via GR, and with universal entropy having to increase, will necessitate the expansion of universal space-time to speed up the rate of entropy increase elsewhere to compensate. Dark energy, in this case, would be connected to an energy output from gravity/GR due to the decrease in entropy; energy is recycled.

21. Parameter Banned Banned

Yes. Of course.

22. Parameter Banned Banned

Entropy can be defined as an increase in disorder.

23. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

In order for work to be accomplished in a duration of time (power=work/time) there had to be a "fuel" for that work. All fuel is derived from extracting energy from evolving mass to space. Want to burn a log and get warm? Then convert the log into heat! Want to walk down the sidewalk? Turn the pizza you ate into heat! Want to push an earth away from you (the sun)? Then convert some of your mass into heat!

All physical process stems from converting mass into energy. That process can be referred to as entropy. There are no free rides, so if you want to freeze something, you are gonna have to make some heat first!