"Enterprise"

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by xraydelta1, Feb 20, 2002.

1. xraydelta1 Kirk Unit Registered Senior Member

Got to see the pilot... well, the first half last night... so no spoilers!

I thought it was pretty good, although the uniforms a bit yuck. Theme was a bit to fluffy too. I liked the niggly relationship between the Vulcans and the humans...that seemed totally plausible. I may have missed it, but what species is the doctor? Seems almost Cardassian to me, but much too pleasant.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hoth Registered Senior Member

I don't think Dr. Flox's species was in the other series.

I thought the pilot was one of the better episodes... there've been a few other good ones, especially lately, but there were also a lot of mediocre ones that seemed overly simplistic and not very well written IMHO.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I just flat out don't like the series

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

*sits back and waits for the next ST series to come out*

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. elektrikmagik Registered Member

I do not like it at all either. The captain is not appealing whatsoever. I know that the 'aim' of the series is to make the characters more 'down to earth' and people like, but I think that it massively takes away from the intriguing superiority that the Next Generation, by best example, holds.

It is simply not exciting either. The characters are not exciting, and there is no characterization either.

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I just think they should bring back the next generation, after all I was really disapointed to hear that Star Trek 10 is going to be the last with the generation crew. What's next? DS9? Voyager? Or...nothing?

I say stop with the movies and bring back the best of the five series, next generation. Voyager or DS9 would make horrible movies, the first one finished its plot and the second was unpopular. Enterprise is out of the question because its still new. I haven't seen it since I don't get UPN (satellite tv), and I hardly saw any of voyager, but I heard the theme song really sucks.

9. esp Registered Senior Member

elektrikmagik,

welcome to sciforums.

Here in the UK we've seen about the first five so far.
    It seems more star wars than star trek.
    This is not a happy state of affairs.

About Voyager not making a decent film...
    I think that, depending upon the story of the film, Voyager would hold as much potential as TNG.
    Before generations, I couldn't visualise the series making the transition.

Voyager and the Borg.
    It'd sell and sell.

10. whatsherface imaginary entity Registered Senior Member

*wistful sigh* gosh i liked Jean-Luc! Couldn't stand that Janeway woman, but.

11. esp Registered Senior Member

Picard from First contact.
    Favourite moment is in the ready room with Lily.
    'You broke your little ships'.

Sweet.

12. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah, esp that was a good scene.

My favorite might be in Generations (the best star trek movie in my opinion) when Picard is surrounded by his make-believe family, the entire scene, from talking to his kids to watching the christmas ornament that looks like an exploding star (I want one!

).

13. Miss Chicken Registered Member

Only the pilot has aired in Australia so far (which they showed as a two parter)

So far Archer doesn't appeal to me at all. He seems to like to bully women.

And what was the point of the decon scene except to show a bit of skin?

14. Hoth Registered Senior Member

Voyager was the series I couldn't stand. I wanted to strangle each and every character... if I were stranded in the delta quandrant with that group, I'd shove them all out the airlock. After that Amelia Earhart episode in the first season, I managed to get free and didn't watch the series anymore.

To show a lot of skin. To be a UPN series. To appeal to typical UPN viewers. To boost ratings cheaply.

15. Miss Chicken Registered Member

There were many good episodes after the Amelia Earhart one. Maybe Voyager wasn't as good as the other series but at least it felt like Trek.

Enterprise doesn't feel like Trek (at least not for me, so far)

16. Dracula's Guest Twisted firestarter Registered Senior Member

I only bothered to watch the first 2 or 3 episodes of "Enterprise" but I think the series needs to be bought down to earth to be perfectly honest.
    The latter half of the pilot was average trek fare, warp in, shoot up the bad guys, have a few computers explode on the bridge and beam someone out of an alien vessel before warping out again. I grew up with TNG but some of the really early episodes of it look hideous now. Some episodes of Voyager were good but some of it felt and looked too synthetic. I've said this before, but the Star Trek movies had the right feel and look. Enterprise needs to move away into something different, its too conservative at the moment.
    I dont think they've changed the series enough. How many more times do we need to see a starfleet crew on another starfleet ship on another voyage through space??

17. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Okay, okay, time out here !!

I can read you decrying enterprise all day long.
    I'm happy for you to express negative thoughts on the lovely, marvelous jean-luc.

Thing is anyone who disses Janeway disses me and I piddy da fool!

Let me explain...
    No-one in the history of the writers chewing pencils in smoke filled... Oh okay Evian filled rooms, ever did it. Only she was able to form an alliance with the Borg. That's one for the hardened Trekkies.
    For me, Kate Mulgrew is one of the ballsiest women in the universe.

We all need a hero people.

So hands of Cpt J Or the prime directive goes in the bin... Know what I mean?

18. Miss Chicken Registered Member

I really like Janeway too.

Of all the captains in Trek she is the one most like me

Make of that statement what you will

19. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

So you're a starfleet captain and a cat named chicken? Fascinating....(pun INTENDED, hahaha I'm such a punner...)

Yeah, Janeway is the ballsiest, but she really lets loose with her feelings all the time, while Picard, who in my opinion is the best (even though the voice of Sisko, who was the narrator for 'Walking with Dinasaurs' has a voice that is just unbelievable), never let his emotions get in the way and always kept a strong yet cool attitude toward any situation, he went 'by the book' in a very liberal way, that is, he's everything a starfleet captain could ever want to be but he's more than kirk or janeway because he always, always gets what he wants by means of intelligence, not intimidation.

And yes, I agree before they changed the uniforms in Next Gen and before Riker got a beard the Next Generation episodes were awful. I hate those ones.

20. kmguru Staff Member

The Trek series has run out of stories long time ago. Any new writer has to be careful and has a lot of constraint built in so that the stories will match past, present and future. That is too much constraint while stories like Andromeda is fresh and practically have a balnk slate.

I watched 6 episodes. Today I got another tape fedexed by my son (mine is direcTV - so no UPN) to be watched tomorrow. Hope they are better than the last set.

21. Miss Chicken Registered Member

I think that Jean-Luc is the best captain and the best diplomat but he's not my favourite. I cannot identify with with an 'elderly', bald and somewhat bland man.

I am like Janeway because she has 'her bad days' just like me. She get grumpy when she runs out of coffee (with me its tea). Unlike Jean-Luc her decisions are not always correct etc. She is unpredictable at times.

Sisko can be interesting. He has a good sense of humour.

Kirk I have never liked that much. Particularly his attitude to women but this is more a result of the era in which TOS was made.

But so far Capt Archer has been really, really awful. I cannot find a good thing to say about him.

22. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Kirk was what we two-thousanders like to call 'a playa.' If he didn't sleep with a woman every episode than it might've been every two.

Starfleet captains get all the luck!

kmguru I have directv too, only I don't have a little arrangement like you do

I haven't seen one episode of enterprise.

23. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

I agree with miss chicken in that Enterprise is a bit on the drab side, (Shower scene not withstanding)
    Funny how we identify with different starfleet captains. This is yet another means of distinction between ourselves.

As spock might say...

"fascinating"