Enterprise theme song

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by CounslerCoffee, Oct 6, 2001.

1. MaryCandie Registered Member

Enterprise Theme

Actually, my initial reaction to the Enterprise theme was that I didn't care for it at all.

Like Xelios, I was adamant that we should keep with a theme similiar to the other series.

But, I have a dear friend who is a avid and rock-solid Star Trek devotee (I don't really care for the word "fan"). He and I got into some deep, thought-provoking, and mind-bending discussions as he pressed me for an answer.

I couldn't tell him I didn't like the actual song itself because I do. And I also appreciate the talents of both Russell Watson and Rod Stewart. The only thing I could say was that I didn't think it was like any of the other theme songs. After a couple of months, that was sounding lame to me (no, I'm not saying you sound lame, just my own opinion to myself).

Then I realized that this is a big break in the direction of the Star Trek saga. From TOS to Voyager, Star Trek was always moving forward through time and it was under the guiding influence of its beloved creator, Gene Roddenberry. It was his baby and he nurtured it until he died.

When Roddenberry passed on and the powers that be decided to forge ahead with yet another series (thank Gods!), it was decided that we would go back to the "beginning" (and wasn't there enough indignant backlash about that).

To put it simply, it was a time of major change in Star Trek.

For many people, change carries a negative connotation and such was the case in this instance. I've heard this same thing from other Star Trek lovers in both my online and "real" life; either they didn't like the idea of the show, they don't like the theme song, or both.

It begins to take on the sound and feel of separation anxiety. Something they knew and loved and were comfortable with was suddenly no longer there.

Anyway, to sum up, I look at these changes, both in the direction of Star Trek and in replacing the theme song with something more contemporary, as positive steps. We now have words to put to the Star Trek dream, words that are synonomous with what Trek stand for.

And now, every time I hear that song, I don't see the face of Rod Stewart or Russell Watson. I see Mr. Roddenberry, Kirk, Spock, Picard, Sisko, Janeway and the myriad of other characters that comprise the Star Trek Universe.

Now THAT is awesome.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. photoguitarist Registered Member

TOS song lyrics

Somewhere in a book Gene R. wrote lyrics for the original series
    just so he could have his name on the credits of the song.
    Could you imagin if they put them on the theme in the 60's
    how different all the themes may have turned out in our Trek Universe.

Just a thought: Let's all write lyrics for TNG, DS9, & Voyager

Ha Ha Ha, Just kidding.

--Matt

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I have to wonder what will come after Enterprise. I mean, if we follow the general ST direction, the next series should take place shortly after Voyager. However, we now have armor plating generators, trans phasic torpedoes, and no more Borg. I mean, the Federation at this time would be decades ahead of any other race technology wise. Plus, the biggest threat to the galaxy has been eliminated.

What I'd like to see is a series that involves the entire alpha quadrant literally struggling for survival. Say, and alien race with advanced technologies suddenly showed up in the galaxy and started striving for the conquest of it. A series in which all the races of ST would have to work together to defeat this ultimate threat.

However, technology must have a bigger role in this series than previous ones simply because it is the only thing keeping the Federation and others from defeating this new threat. It would also be nice to have it set at least 100 years after Voyager. This would make room for new technologies to be developed, and give the other races in the quadrant time to catch up to the Federation's new toys (armor plating generator etc.).

Personally, I think Enterprise has gone away from Sci-Fi and into the Drama catagory. There is literally nothing new technology wise. Science fiction content in this show is well below what it needs to be to classify it as a Sci-Fi series. But, thats just my opinion.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dracula's Guest Twisted firestarter Registered Senior Member

I think Star Trek needs some good drama. I dont think moving the series any further in the future will add anything to it at all.

I just watched the first episode of 'Enterprise' and I'm a bit mixed about it. I thought it (Broken Bow) started off well, but I thought the last half was average trek fare, warp in, shoot some bad guys, warp out again.
    I like the cast, and I think the setting does bring up some new opportunities, though the premise is pretty much the same, another starfleet crew, another starfleet ship, exploring the galaxy, blah blah blah....

The series has some potential though, give it some time and it might hit its stride. TNG spent the first few seasons finding its feet. I would recommend that they dont go and commission 22 episodes a series for 7 years though, I think they should keep it down to about 10 episodes a year, for about 5 years to prevent the series from suffering overkill. I'd rather have a handful of really great episodes than hundreds of hours of sub-trek

I must admit, my favourite trek films were Star Trek 2 and 6. There's something about the style of ST:6 which I thought they should have kept through the latter series. Perhaps it was just the style of the interiors, or the uniforms, or the special effects. Sometimes it was just little things, like the fact the Enterprise-A had old fashioned kitchens for preparing food, or the fact that Klingons actually bled when they got shot, but just somehow it seemed a bit more edgy, a bit more real. I grew up with TNG, but some bits of it, as well as Voyager, just look synthetic somehow. Perhaps the simpler technology on 'Enterprise' will give it an edgier feel.

Not sure about the theme song, but the traditional orchestral sound was getting out of control, a breath of fresh air to hear something different.

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah know what you're talking about, dracula's guest. My trek favorites were six and generations, and I think both conveyed an excellent sense of atmosphere, something that the others just didn't do for me. Six had plenty of mystery and intrigue as well as action while generations had just an incredible premise for an incredible movie. I don't understand why they can't make a series based on that era.

Plus, does anyone know what series the next batch of movies'll follow? I hear Nemesis is going to be the last with TNG.

9. MaryCandie Registered Member

As Dracula's Guest said... "Not sure about the theme song, but the traditional orchestral sound was getting out of control, a breath of fresh air to hear something different."

Even though you're undecided about your stand on the theme song, I agree with the "a breath of fresh air..."

I'd like to discuss some of the other points in your post, DG, but...it's after 3 a.m. and I'm sitting here with no caffeine in sight and (sssshhh...don't tell anyone) haveing taken some meds for my pain from a car accident, so I'm way too loopy to think coherently.

I'll try and visit again when my brain is online.

Later all!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. MaryCandie Registered Member

P.S.

Can anyone tell me how to put a text other than "junior member" and a graphic below my name here?

I sooooooo want to incorporate a Hubble shot in there. God knows what I'll call myself besides junior member. Any ideas?

Later!
    MC

11. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I agree they are half way there with enterprise but it is missing some stuff. They need more episodes to deal with what the show is about, not exploration but about the federation and how it got started. I have noticed that there is not a lot of technobable and that they do wear baseball caps but what does that have to do with anything? Its probably going to all turn out to be crap and filler just like Voyager, but I still liked voyager, but im just a babling moron so dont listen to me.

12. esp Registered Senior Member

Marycandie...

In 'control panel', go to 'edit profile'.
    Enter your wordy things in the 'user custom text' box.

In 'control panel' go to 'edit options'.
    Select 'change avatar'. You can browse for the pic you want from there.
    Hope this helps.

13. MaryCandie Registered Member

Thanks much, esp. Now I just need to think of what to call myself.

14. HLewis Registered Member

I like the theme song very much.

I have heard all the Trekkies and Trekkers griping and moaning about how they prefer the old Semi-Classical music theme songs for Trek. I disagree profusely. Each theme song has fitted each series properly--including "Faith of the Heart" for Enterprise. The the 60s loung music suited the original Trek, the Military-style Movie themesong from The Motion picture suited Picard and TNG. The Classical crescendo (as of 3rd Season) was good for DS9 and the violin strains worked for Voyager.

In the case of Enterprise, we are looking at a pre-Federation Earth that has been slowly taking it's first steps away from Terra Firma out into the vast unknown. It's a day of Space Cowboys and NO PRIME DIRECTIVE. Events that happen now profoundly shape the future of Earth and the Federation. Things are not set and the rules are being made up as they go. Zephram Cochran listend to Classic Rock when he first launched the Phoenix and sought to make money to live on a South Pacific Island filled with naked women, not unite the Alpha quadrant (well, not at first!)

And then we focus on Capt. John Archer. His dad's dream was to fly at Warp Five and leave the solar system, but the Vulcans did everything they could to make the humans proceed slowly out into space. Capt. Archer partly feels the Vulcans denied his father of his dream. However, his father's dream became his own--"I will see my dream come alive at last. I will touch the sky." And the Vulcans were finally told to stick it in their pointy ears--"And they're not gonna hold me down no more. No they're not gonna change my mind."

The theme song fits the era and fits in perfectly with Capt. Archer and his dream. I love this theme song and I'll tell any Trekker who thinks differently to stick in their pointy ears as well. I've watched Trek since I was a baby and consider myself a connoseur of it. Enterprise is just as good, if not better, than the original series that first captured my imagination as a child. The song fits in with that dream and I say leave it the Hell alone.

15. Eric Smith Registered Member

I can understand the numerious objections to the shows theme song. Its characteristics are significantly different from that of any of the other series or movies, but I don't perceive it as inappropriate or anti-intellectual. It sets an appropriate theme for early space exploration. I think that "Faith of the Heart" may at some level be an allusion to Blaise Pascal's third level of knowledge (the heart). Within his epistemological structure it is the highest and most certain level of knowledge. The courage that people would be required to muster to participate in such an early exploration of deep space would be huge.

The two basic objections I can fully understand would be stylistic the second would be more philosophical in nature. The earlier Star Treks were written by individuals with a naturalistic and empircal world view. At some level, Faith of the Heart could easly be seen as a slight break with the vision of the early producers and writers.

As for myself, I like it but I am over thirty so you can simply blame it on antiquated or bad taste!

16. jaguar7 Registered Member

Regarding Theme Song to Enterprise

The actual name of theme song to the new show "Enterprise" is called:
    "Where My Heart Will Take Me" (also known as "Faith of the Heart")
    Written by: Dianne Warren
    Vocals By: Russell Watson
    see this site for lyrics and to hear the song play:

http://www.startreksoundtracks.com/wheremyheartwilltakeme.html

I'm still searching for where to purchase it myself, when I find it i'll let you know!

Hope this helps

Last edited: Mar 20, 2002
  17. jaguar7 Registered Member

Ehterprise Theme Song CD

Just found out What the CD is Called:
    Rusell Watson Titled: Encore
    Also did you know he is actually a Opera Tenor!
    Buy it at Amazon.com online is selling it for $16.99

Hopes that completes your search!!

18. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I don't mean to come off sounding like a jerk but I might anyways. I was refurring to the song that appears in the commercial for Enterprize, not the theme song. As it would turn out it was the calling Wherever you will go, go figure that that what it was!

So please read the very first post or the beggining of the thread to find out what were talking about. Other then that thank you for the information I had no idea he was an Opera singer

19. twayneking Registered Member

Theme Song

The singer is Russell Watson, the English construction worker turned opera singer who is challenging Pavorati and all those blue nosed Italians and singing their pants off.

He's really down to earth and has been on Good Morning America a couple of times. His range is awesome as demonstrated by his outstanding turn on the new Enterprise Theme.

I love it. It's perfect for Enterprise I. I have the midi file and my screensaver sings it to me periodically. It's nice to see the Star Trek people going "where no Star Trek has ever gone before". The show is way more.................."Human".

Tom

20. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW ITS BEEN POSTED SEVERAL TIMES.

Sorry I didn't mean to come off sounding like a jerk but I might anyways. I was refurring to the song that appears in the commercial for Enterprize, not the theme song. As it would turn out it was the calling Wherever you will go, go figure that that what it was!

So please read the very first post and the very last post of the thread to find out what were talking about.

21. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

i think the theme songs pretty good, it suits enterprize and the visuals at the beginning of the show, though the best sci-fi theme song has to be red dwarf, 'its cold outside theres no kind of atmosphere...' its very catchy

22. I heard this version of the song at a local supermarket, thought I was dreaming, what Star Trek on muzak?
    On another note: I hate Rod's voice & music, no talent, lucky bum. & I don't like the Enterprise theme either, it should be more dramatic, heck if their using old stuff, why not "Also sprach Zarathustra"?

23. ElPolloDiablo Registered Member

i knew about the patch adams thing.... but has anyone listened to this?

enterprise alternate opening

sounds quite nice i have to say.....

dont know if its authentic whatsoever...