engineer lost in space

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by sonar, Oct 15, 2003.

1. sonar Registered Member

I have a question, I am getting ideas for possible thesis research, this may be hair-brained but hear me out. I have been looking around for a little but maby someone knows, has anyone done research on fluid flow and water distirbution in zero or near zero gravity?

I am guessing that this is basically the same as hear with earth's gravity, but wouldn't bernoulli's equation breakdown somewhat. Since the V^2/2g value would then be dividing by zero which is erronious.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sonar Registered Member

sorry hit wrong button

sorry hit the submit button a little too early

anyway would there be a way of having a variable gravity term rather than 9.81 m/s^2 which we use. is there such a thing as variable gravity term anywhere at all. The idea I had was the closer to earth the more earth's graity 'pulls' on you.

Well I obviously have more thinking to do, any ideas?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Not sure about this, but I think that many fluid equations like the Bernouilli equation have already been derived from more fundamental equations such as Navier-Stokes.

I suppose that instead of putting in a potential like v(r) = mgr (for objects near the earth), and using something along the lines of V(r) = K<sub>G</sub> m<sub>earth</sub>*m / r would yield better results.

But I should warn you that I am not familiar with the derivation, or the Navier-Stokes equation for that matter

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

... But perhaps it gives you something for a starter to look at (a possible derivation and how gravity is implemented there).

Bye!

Crisp

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sonar Registered Member

thanx

I am looking at the derivation and breakdown of the Bernoulli and will start looking at the derivation of the N-S equation and it's relation to the Bernoulli.
    Good idea

8. orbie Registered Senior Member

The universal Gravity constant might be what you speak of.

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/newtongrav.html

check there to read up on it.

9. sonar Registered Member

gravitational const?

Thanx for the information and the link I am going through it now, but just one thought. I thought that the idea of a gravitational constatnt was or could soon be of sorts debunked.
    I think maby Hawkins or some other article or book I read may have said this, do you know anything about this?