Emotions sense good and bad

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by MattMVS7, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

He could just be going through a tough time.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sounds like he is - but most people post here because they get something out of it. Which means he feels something other than negative emotions.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

This is a theory of mine I have learned that could change the world. I have learned this theory from my own personal struggles with emotional trauma and misery. Everybody currently believes that it is our value judgments that allow us to perceive value in our lives. I think it is instead solely our emotions that allow us to perceive value. Nobody knows this but me. Everybody thinks that if emotions do dictate how you perceive value, then it is only because these emotions have had an impact upon your way of thinking.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I wanted to kill myself recently by overdosing on heroine. Was thinking it be would laced with fentanyl. I've not done heroine before.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  8. KUMAR5 Valued Senior Member

Probably above positive and negative modulation may be linked to getting positive and negative emptions scientifically.

9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I think I've embarassed myself enough... But c'mon!

10. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

Do you find an issue with my theory? If so, go ahead and explain.

11. KUMAR5 Valued Senior Member

Just a speculation:

Can above be the scientific reason to getting potitive or negative emotions?

12. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

The brain is electro chemical. Ergo, based on quantum mechanics, ergo no one knows.

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sounds like you get some fulfillment out of posting your theories, then.

14. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

I do now because I have fully recovered my positive emotions back to me. There is an interesting revelation in regards to my theory that is bound to make you take deep consideration into it. This new argument will make you wonder if my theory could really be true as opposed to the types of arguments I have been making before to support my theory which have only served to render the members here disinterested. I can assure you this new argument I am going to make might impress you. Let me know when you are ready to hear it.

15. birch Valued Senior Member

yes, I agree, because it is experientially meaningful. if for instance, one had no physical sensation of pain or pleasure, then putting your hand on a hot stove or even putting yourself in harm's way would make no difference. your physical existence would have no meaning, one way or another. yes, so emotions are linked to value.

what makes this existence suck so bad is that harm can be really pernicious and there is constant threat that can be overwhelming. this goes beyond challenging to just damaging, weakening and plain fuked up. it is definitely not the most ideal setting for life.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  16. KUMAR5 Valued Senior Member

Yes, but we should always try to know, whatever still unclear in science or atleast in logics.

17. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

There is an objective form of wanting. It would be our positive emotions. Here, I will quote something that points that out:

In order for my theory to hold true, then I will first need to establish that thoughts of wanting things can only be thoughts of things being good to us (i.e. good value judgments). Once I have done that, then I can say that, since there is an objective form of wanting (our positive emotions), then they are an objective source of seeing the good value in our lives. So, I will now begin. A good value judgment can only be a thought of something being desirable and cherishable to us. For example, if you said that you did not want to go to work today and that you had to go to work anyway since going to work had good value to you, then you would be wanting to go to work. Here is another example. Even if you had a sinister desire and you judged that desiring thought to be bad, then this sinister desire would still be a good value judgment while you would be having a different thought (a bad value judgment).

These two thoughts have different characteristics. One is wanting and the other is unwanting. Therefore, that is why they are distinct from one another. Since I have established that good value judgments are wanting thoughts and bad value judgments are unwanting thoughts, I will now say from here that good value judgments always make us feel positive emotions such as feelings of joy and excitement while bad value judgments always make us feel negative emotions such as anger and despair. The only exception would be if you had some mental health condition such as anhedonia which doesn't allow you to have positive or negative emotions. But like I was saying, it would follow from here that positive emotions are an objective source of seeing good value towards stimuli while negative emotions would be an objective source of seeing bad value towards stimuli.

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

How do you define "good" and "bad"? These are generally pretty poorly-defined terms in any developed idea.

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Then you need to increase your mirror neural system by exposure and examination of the wondrous ways of natural expression.
    Learn to recognize the patterns of life and how they show up in the most unexpected ways.
    The Fibonacci sequence shows up regularly in a host of natural patterns from daisies, to pine cones, to spiral galaxies.

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Deleted for duplication.

21. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

I'm talking about perceiving (perceptual) good and bad. I am not talking about good and bad in the sense of something such as that it is a good thing that criminals are put away in prison. The only way to perceive (see) your life as being good or bad to you, then that requires your positive and negative emotions. According to my theory, this would have to be an objective truth.

22. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

Please read my previous post because it explains to you why this can't be true.

23. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

I am going to present to you an experiment that can prove that things that are good to us can only be things that we want. If you were to set up an experiment where you had an item that a person said that he did not want, but had to obtain anyway since obtaining it had much good value to him, then how would this person respond once you take that item away from him? I am quite sure he would want that item. Since that item was something very important (good) to him, then he wouldn't just have utter indifference towards the situation of that item being taken away from him.