Emotions sense good and bad

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by MattMVS7, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I'm gonna' take a guess here: do you want to publish something?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

I don't wish to be a publisher. I just came up with this theory that I wanted to share. I have struggled with emotional trauma and depression and I think it is nonsense for people to tell me that my life can still be perceived as being good and worth living to me without my positive emotions.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Whoa dude! Do you have a family doctor, they can prescribe drugs.

:EDIT:

And, I'm not wanting to be disrespectiful I take valproic acid for bipolar disorder.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

Actually, what I struggled with wasn't clinical depression. That is, depression caused by something wrong with the brain. My depression and misery was caused by negative thinking and stressful life events.

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

The ability to not act on that anger is of tremendous value, and if doing it often is good practice, then it has value.

Everyone experiences anger and upset; learning to deal with those feelings is important.
    Right, and that's good.

9. kx000 Valued Senior Member

If you believe you can, if you don't you cant.

10. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I come from a different perspective.
    Just think of the trillions of organisms which exist and have existed during the Earth's life. Of all the species that exist, only some 7 billion exist as human, with sophisticated brains and ability to contemplate our life.

IMO, this is a rare gift and I am happy not to have been born a slime mold or an earthworm.

Being human is close to a miracle of natural evolution. Listen to the music, read the poetry, look at the majesty of the universe and rejoice that you are one of the fortunate ones to be able to experience these things.

Depression is a sign of sensitivity to the negative sides of life and living. OTOH, you can concentrate on becoming sensitive to the great beauty of nature and our privileged existence on earth.

Remember this old cliché: Here I complained I had no shoes. Then I saw someone who had no feet.

Try to put things in proper perspective, with emphasis on the little good things that happen in your life.

p.s. I grew up during a time of war and misery and hunger. This is why, as unimportant as I may be, I am happy to be alive and watch history unfold in all its forms, both good and bad.

Watch this:

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Self-analysis of legit mental illness can be an unhealthy, even dangerous, thing.

Being that your psychological ideas are not merely an academic exercise, but are in fact about your own condition, and that you are struggling with depression, I feel that the only course of action that should be offered by anyone here, is for you to take this up with your doctor, and not any of us armchair psychoanalists.

So I'm signing off.

13. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

I understand your point of view. However, your advice to me is that my life can be of good value and worth to me through words and phrases alone (value judgments) and just making the best of life anyway. I am looking for something that goes beyond words and phrases to make my life good and worth living to me. Value judgments alone cannot allow me to actually perceive my life as having good value to me. I instead rely on a sacred life force/energy. This energy is literally intrinsic goodness itself. That energy would, again, be my positive emotions.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You only know what you think you know. When we experience something it is always a form of hallucination, a best guess which we make internally in the brain.
    This may be of interest; https://www.ted.com/talks/anil_seth_how_your_brain_hallucinates_your_conscious_reality

15. river

You are what you think you are .

16. KUMAR5 Valued Senior Member

Btw, just speculating. Can't it be explained by
    Non-covalent interactions esp Electrostatic?

17. KUMAR5 Valued Senior Member

.......2, look at following link:

18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

While I can translate and understand the individual words when strung together like that sorry lost me
    To hard to manage the supposed links and interactions

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Managed to catch the additional post just after I posted. Did not look at the link but the information that some materials can have more static electricity than others is not earth shaking WOW factor news

19. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

Take note that my philosophy assumes that it can only be our positive emotions that are the only real source of perceiving our lives as good and worth living to us. You see, value judgments alone are just words and phrases (thoughts). In order for my life to have any real quality of good value and worth to me, then that requires something beyond just a positive thought and outlook. As I describe later on, it requires something beyond words and phrases.

There is a big difference between judging your life as being something good to you as opposed to what it's like to judge your life as being something good to you. What it's like is not a matter of words and phrases. It's not a question of value judgment. Rather, it's a question of consciousness. For example, what it's like to see the color red is a question of consciousness. This means that, if I am going to have any sort of positive thought and outlook without my positive emotions, then this must literally be like something good to me. It must possess an actual quality of goodness in my life.

Again, that good quality cannot be a matter of value judgment. Otherwise, it wouldn't be anything in my life. When I am in the pits of darkness and despair and I am asking for the light of goodness and beauty to my life, then this is something that goes beyond a mere value judgment. It would be an intrinsic good quality. If any sort of positive thought and outlook alone can possess this intrinsic good quality in my life, then that would be wonderful. But if it can't and it can only be my positive emotions that possess this quality, then my positive emotions are truly all I have in my life and they are truly all that we as human beings have. If none of what I said is making any sense to you and/or is difficult to comprehend, then I don't think it's because I haven't explained myself well, that I am presenting incoherent concepts, or that I am just talking nonsense.

I think it would instead be because you cannot relate to my philosophy and the things I am saying. You are so used to living your life by your value judgments alone that you cannot relate to my philosophy which opposes and challenges this notion. For example, a sociopath would not be able to relate to empathy and would not understand the notion of empathy. It would make no sense to him/her. I think the world needs to be awakened to consciousness based values (i.e. values based on what it's like) as opposed to value judgment based values (i.e. values just simply based on judging and believing your life has value to you). Once they have been awakened, they should realize that it is truly our emotions which give our lives perceived value.

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

It doesn't even involve EM waves. At least we have that expression "being on the same wavelength", but as far as I know static electricity does not generate an EM field.

There was an interesting scifi movie about this called "Frequencies".

21. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

If you can, please fully read and respond to my reply I made to you. I have edited in some new information that fully explains my predicament.

22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I would suggest you do some reading on the Mirror Neural System, the seat of empathy.
    You are right that sociopaths usually have damaged or traumatized mirror neural systems, as do autistic individuals, where the problem lies mainly in the hardwiring..

23. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Sadly nothing has an intrinsic good quality

Everything is a personal value judgement for the person concerned and unless it intrudes and interferes with another that's fine

My assessment that it sad nothing has intrinsic good quality is because of the ramifications of where would it stop?

EVERYTHING would have to be made the same for EVERYBODY

Not sure life could exist under such a restriction