Electrical help

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by domesticated om, Jul 29, 2008.

  1. domesticated om Interplanetary homesteader Valued Senior Member

    Google isn't being very helpful......it may be that I'm using the wrong keywords. Here are my questions:

    I'm looking for a device similar to a multimeter that measures amperes and can be plugged into a computer.
    On the computer, the software needs to provide a graph of the current draw so I can watch it fluctuate in real time. It would also be nice if it calculated things like "RMS" or any other relevant quantities .

    I have found multimeters than can be connected to a computer, but they only measure up to 10 amps. The various devices I'm connecting to it may draw more.

    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

    to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

    to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

    What exactly are you trying to measure? The total AC current draw of the power supply, or individual systems within the computer..like the vid card?

    They do make RMS voltmeters. I used to have a Fluke similar to this:


    To measure current directly in a DC circuit, you have to open up the circuit and put the meter in series with the load. Unfortunately a clamp-on meter won't work with DC.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

    to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

    You may need to consider an actual oscilloscope for higher amperage stuff.

Share This Page