Electric cars = Battery Pollution ?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Anomalous, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Anomalous Banned Banned

Will battery pollution be the next big disaster ? What are the non polluting alternatives to batteries ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. valich Registered Senior Member

Waste pollution from used batteries is a dangerous pollution source (acid leakage), but I do not know of any pollution while they are being used? Mercury containing batteries are currently being phased out. Others can be properly treated to neutralize the pollution, or can be contained - much the same way as nuclear powerplant waste is contained. Do you have a better alternative? Maybe just solar energy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anomalous Banned Banned

What do U think will happen if all cars, billions of cars start using batteries for power ?

the total acid that will be leaked out accidently will be enormous. and in long run i believe will be catastrophic ?

What if there is acid sleek evuivalet of oil sleeks ?

Ya, i dont know if there are any enviornment friendly battries or battries without acid ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

And the total acid will ultimately add up to not very much. Its not much to worry about, at least in developed countries, because we have highly developed means of avoiding environmental contamination.

And if you want batterites without acid, try lithium ones. Of course, they dont like being broken open, but then not many things do.

8. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

hydrogen fuel cells are basically just good batteries.

9. valich Registered Senior Member

Sealed batteries don't leak acid. It's the disposal problem that should be the issue. As I said, then this is just like the problem with disposing nuclear waste.

10. Anomalous Banned Banned

I get harrowing feeling when I imagine a mountaneous dumpyard of used batteries.

11. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

Batteries... car batteries... are fully recylclable...

-MT

12. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Yup, thats what I'm trying to say.

And fuel cells are not good batteries. Batteries, you make them, then put energy in, energy out. fuel cells, you make them, then put matter in, get matter and energy out. BAtterys are closed with regard to matter. (ok, you have to top up you car battery sometimes, but that is not an intrinsice part of their functioning the way it is in fuel cells.)

13. Anomalous Banned Banned

SO U have lot of confindence on human behaivour ? that too from avarage human populations regarding pollution. Hats off to U.

14. valich Registered Senior Member

I agree, but what do we have for alternatives: solar cells and hydrogen.

15. Anomalous Banned Banned

I was asking non polluting electric battries options. Are Lithium dangerous ? What is lithium.

16. valich Registered Senior Member

I was going to suggest that but didn't know enough.

Lithium batteries last five times longer than alkakline, is corrosive and requires special handling to avoid skin contact, but is not considered as a "toxoc waste."

Nickel-cadmium batteries are hazardous to the environment.

"Lithium (metal) batteries contain no toxic metals, however, there is the possibility of fire if the metallic lithium is exposed to moisture while the cells are corroding. Most lithium batteries are non-rechargeable and are used in cameras, hearing aids and defense applications. For proper disposal, the batteries must first be fully discharged to consume the metallic lithium content. Lithium-ion batteries used for cell phones and laptops do not contain metallic lithium and the disposal problem does not exist. Most lithium systems contain toxic and flammable electrolyte."
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-20.htm

17. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Given that I live in the UK, which now has halfway decent anti-pollution laws, and the agencies charged with enforcing them are doing their job, however slowly, not to mention that recycling has gone from 0 to upwards of 20% of household waste, the simple fact that I have not as far as I recall seen waste car batteries lying around more than once in the past ten years, let alone that the lead in said batteries has economic value, then, yes I do have some confidence in human behaviour, such that it is very unlikely there will be mountains of batteries. At least in the UK. Less developed parts of the world may be different.

Lithium is an element on the periodic table, from the same family as sodium and potassium. Therefore, as valich says, it burns. I too cannot think of any non polluting battery materials, but then pollution is involved in everything we make, including the cars, and I am sure yuo dont want an old car rusting away at teh bottom of your garden.

18. Anomalous Banned Banned

I was talking about car garbage landfields

19. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

No, you have not been paying attention, or are very forgetful, or an uneducatable victim of the oil lobby.

With very little modification, your existing car can run on alcohol, a renewable fuel, a clean burning fuel, a cheaper fuel, a fuel that removes more CO2 from air (by the growing cane) than it releases, a fuel than make lots of low-paying jobs in tropical countries. Those workers will buy some US products they can not now afford. (US cigarettes are a status symbol among some poor here, where most roll their own with outer brown cover of a corn ear as the "paper.") In any case the dollars exported will be less than if used to import oil.

PS, by edit: After Castro is dead, perhaps even an alcohol pipeline from Cuba is possible? (Floating about 100 feet below the surface and mored to the bottom by cables. - Alcohol is certainly lighter than sea water and the distance is short by pipline standards.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2006
  20. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Oh, well you dont see many of them here in the UK. Cars end up scrapped and many bits recycled, the rest landfilled. Believe me, people notice when Sulphuric acid starts polluting their water, and as I said before, the lead is recyclable and has economic worth. So, no problem here, and it would be easily adaptable to a future with cars with lead acid batteries for energy storage.

21. Anomalous Banned Banned

What can I say anymore to U. U seem to be among thoes from whom our planet have the greatest threat. U compare life as U see around U, but the fact is that U r still polluting. Just because U cant see that dosent mean the problem is not there.

Billy T,

So sound better, do U have any links for what U said. As we can see in this thread, there cannot be green batteries so why not go for biological fuel.

But wont methane be a problem then ?

22. funzone36 Registered Senior Member

23. Anomalous Banned Banned