elder scrolls: oblivion

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by The Devil Inside, Mar 23, 2006.

?

rate oblivion!

1. 1

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. 10

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  11. 11

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 12

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  13. 13

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  14. 14

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 15

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  16. 16

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  17. 17

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  18. 18

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  19. 19

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  20. 20

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

You killed Robin Hood!? What an asshole...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

finally im level 20 and i can say that the game OWNS, get access to the arcane university and do up your armour and then you will be UBER strong

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

After doing some research on the subject today, my machine doesn't even have AGP slots, just the old PCI slots (not the PCI Express). The best I can upgrade to with ATI is the Radeon 9250 (256 MB), which, according to the list below that I got from http://pc.ign.com/objects/702/702491.html 's http://www.direct2drive.com/376/product/The-Elder-Scrolls-IV:-Oblivion-w/-Manual download site, does not include the ATI Radeon 9000 series that is included in the list of supported chipsets you posted earlier. Weird. I wonder if they have recently decided that the 9000 series (not the 9500 - 9800 series) is not supported. Where did you get your list of supported chipsets from?

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

* ATI X1900 series
    * ATI X1800 series
    * ATI X1600 series
    * ATI X1300 series
    * ATI X850 series
    * ATI x800 series
    * ATI x700 series
    * ATI x600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9800 series
    * ATI Radeon 9700 series
    * ATI Radeon 9600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9500 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce FX series (5700 or above)

P.S. I read in a few reviews today that some people are upset about the level-scaling feature of Oblivion, where the enemies are always the same level as you. Is this pissing any of you off yet?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Cottontop

Did you have a look at Oldblivion.com? It might have just what you need. Also, I see the latest patch (still in beta) might have some good news as well:
    Update 1.1 Notes...
    New Ultra Low Quality graphic setting available under Launcher options with improved support for low end FX cards (5700 and lower). To use this setting, go to the Launcher, select Options and click Reset to Defaults to allow the auto detect to check your system.​

8. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I'm on my third character now... I've deadicated each one to a different set of quests (to get the most from the game).

More addicted than me, however, is my Dad who is totally drawn in. He's your ordinary business dad who doesn't normally approve - but now he's under the spell!

9. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

im almost up to 100hours of gameplay (on one character) anyway can i ask anyones opinion on the end of the story, bit of an anti-climax for me really

10. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

The way it seems to me, any kind of ending would be an anti-climax. Maybe the inevitable expansions will give you something more satisfying.

For those playing... which class do you play/prefer, and why? In Morrowind I played a Nightblade, specializing in alchemy, long blade and medium armour. I liked the idea of being independent, able to create potions as needed on my quests. But my inventory became unwieldy (esp. since Morrowind doesn't let you identify potions very easily), and I don't want to spend half my time gathering ingredients again. And a pure fighter doesn't really appeal to me. Then again, the class I picked didn't really make that much difference last time. The game suggested I play a Monk, based on the way I played the tutorial (can't really say why, though - maybe because I was so anxious to get outside to see the scenery that I didn't bother with weapons or lock-picking on the way). Maybe it's easiest just to stick with that and see what happens...

11. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

from the hints online that i have read my character should be relatively bad, but i actually kick some serious ass, i have blade, h.armour, athletics, acrobatics, conjuration, destruction, mercantile that was a custom character, i actually find that the side-quests are a lot more fun than the main quest, i especially enjoyed the quest you get off the burma countess and have to go into the mountains and find pale pass, that was a great quest anyway i cant wait for the expansions to come, although i dont know what they could possibly do

12. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

I just played it yesterday at my friend's house. Awesome. Great graphics. GReat gameplay.
    If my friends didn't fucking rush me, the asshole, I might've played it more...

13. mountainhare Banned Banned

devil:
    It's a 20 out of 20. It's bloody fantastic. It's like a cross between Diablo II, Baldur's Gate II, and Final Fantasy. Except it only takes the good bits from those three games.

14. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

A purely aesthetic question to everyone who's playing it: did anyone else find it so diffcult to mold a decent-looking face, or was it just because I'm a perfectionist? It took me hours to create a face that looked remotely human. Trying to find the "sweet spot" on every characteristic and getting the right balance between them was fun, but sometimes I wished there was a "fix face" button somewhere...

15. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

were you using an argonian

i found it relativly easy

16. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

. No, I was trying to make an Imperial, but apart from the skin tone nobody would have been able to tell the difference. Maybe I just need some practice. My brother, a computer animator, also said it was easy.

17. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

The first one I did was a male breton with brown hair. I clicked 'random' for a bit until I got something that wasn't too bad then sculpted for about 5 mins before realising that it's not possible to put thought to screen.

The second time I tried doing myself, adjusting every feature one-by-one whilst checking in a mirror... but some settings change other ones!! (E.g. you try and adjust one of the many jaw settings and several of the chin settings also change at the same time etc). It looked nothing like me.

18. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

That was the main problem I had. Even something so "cosmetic" as skin tone, eye shadow or blush could change the face itself in unpredictable ways. And man, those chins are tricky. You know what would have been helpful? A "save face" option. It would have been very ironically applicable in my case...

19. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

Ok I'm about lvl23 now. I see what people mean when they describe the game as living a life in another world. The size and depth make it feel more like a living world than any other game I have played.

I don't think Nightblade was the best class for me as I am too impatient to use stealth. I like to charge in with sword and spell. As it is all my magic will only do a small amount of damage to an enemy so I spend a lot of time using weapons or running away waiting for my magic to regenerate. This makes for some tough battles when I face three at a time. I need a lot of space.

I hate those clanfear things! (headbutting lizards)

My only real criticism is that the levels on the plane of oblivion do get a bit repetitive. I have closed 8 or 9 gates now and I'm not really enjoying that plane much anymore.

This is a minor complaint for game that has been quite enjoyable so far.

My favorite rpg is still Baldurs Gate 2 but this is a different type of rpg so maybe they shouldn't be compared.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  20. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

You can close the gates really quickly if you rush without killing anything.

21. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

im have super equipment, im talking stuff like weapons which do like 80pts per hit

22. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

im starting to find the game just a wee bit too easy now, i have the difficulty settings on full and yet everything i do i do with ease. so now im into wandering around exploring

23. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

My friend and I made a redguard, named him Achilles. But we fiddled around with the toner, and made him look like an imperial with sleek, black hair in a ponytail. We buffed him up and built him up before starting on the main campaign. I mean, super shit. Got him some cool stuff, too, lots of rich-guy clothes. Made him the Champion of the Arena, and made him master of the thieves guild, took the Grey Fox mask, which is cool, as well his superjump boots. Also made him a Listener in the dark brotherhood, which is essentially the assassin's guild. Then started on the campaign. It's just that much easier with him suped up.