Egypt

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Zero, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Zero Banned Banned

Would religion of the ancient Egyptians (ex: Isis worship) count as "Eastern Philosophy"? Anyone know about it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DJSupreme23 neocortex activated Registered Senior Member

I'd say, no. Eastern is anything to the east of the Indus river. That means, Hinduism, Buddhism, Daoism/Taoism, Shintoism... etc.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zero Banned Banned

Well, still, anyone know about it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Circe Registered Senior Member

What , specifically, do you want to know about Isis?

She was worshipped all throughout the ancient world under many names, for example:
    Isis-Egypt
    Astarte-Phoenicia
    Ishtar-Babylonia
    Inanna-Sumer
    Cybele-Phrygia

Herodotus identifies her with Demeter(Greece)

You may also want to look up Ashtoreth and Estera

To gnostics she was known as Sophia.

8. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Umm, Circe, how can you identify Isis as being worshipped the same nby all these different cultures? I can agree with them having similar deities, but not that they are all one and teh same.

9. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I agree wiuth Guthrie, and would like to point out that while Isis was very inportant to Egyptian religion, the move to Ra worship, and subsequently to Sun worship are equally important parts of the Evolution of the Egyptian state religion.

on topic, I agree with DJSupreme23.

10. Firefly Registered Senior Member

How would you define 'Eastern Philosophy', and what are the parallels or differences you saw to make you wonder?

11. Circe Registered Senior Member

Good question. "Eastern" thought, at least to me, means an approach to life, not a location.
    While "Western" philosophy is build on logic and analysis, the"Eastern" concentrates on contadiction and paradox and offers questions that seemingly have no answer.

12. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

I'd say that Eastern Philosophy is mainly:

Hinduism, [the paths of Raja Marga, Karma Marga, Jnana Marga or Bhakti Marga, mainly]

Theravada, Mahayana and Tibetan Buddhism, as well as other Japanese schools of it [such as Zen]

Confucianism

Taoism

Jainism

Tantra

Zoroastrianism

Sikhism

Shinto...

I'm sure there are others I'm missing, but those are the religions that come to mind when you say 'Eastern Philosophy' to me.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  13. Siddhartha Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't call the Egyptian faith(s) Eastern Religion, and instead would lean toward "Ancient Religion". It doesn't seem to lend itself to a geographical classification.

14. I took archeology & anthropology several years ago, & I remember my professor saying that the Egyptian religion evolved as they evolved, but that they kept all the older parts too, such as animal-headed gods & goddesses, until they arrived at concepts, like the one god Atun.