ego.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by flaming june, Nov 25, 2002.

1. flaming june Registered Member

doesn't every person who's good when they're a kid turn into a bad person or does bad things because of their ego ?

ego being what you think about yourself and your envies. everything you wished you had done and everything you wish you could do to feel up that how you felt then caused because of how you felt about yourself then. or everything you're never going to do because you dont have have enough trust in yourself. or everyone you're going to do mean things to because you're jealous of them or because its easier to hurt them then to have the chance to fail or so many other things that you're going to do because you might have the chance to hut your ego.

or

all the things you're not going to care about because you feel so highly of yourself. everyone you're going to hurt. everything you're going to destroy because of that.

all the bad thoughts and bad actions come from it. so perhaps it should be destroyed.

you will then perhaps be able to live.

you can make up with the envies of achieve dreams (for example) by just doing your best in everything you do and believe in them.

eh? just a thought

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neville Registered Senior Member

I think your right on a number of things Flaming June however destroying the ego is not one of these points in my opinion. The ego being how we view ourselves is therefore made up of: past experiences, envies and jealousy's and this gives us some idea of our position in relation to others. I feel that this gives the world some sort of order. Anyway Your probably right flaming june.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. flaming june Registered Member

thank you. but could you expand more on

"The ego being how we view ourselves is therefore made up of: past experiences, envies and jealousy's and this gives us some idea of our position in relation to others. I feel that this gives the world some sort of order."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neville Registered Senior Member

Well the ego is just someones classification (freuds i think) of a part of the human mind.Who says it exists!?? We'll assume that it exists as freud says and is part of the mind where we have a view of ourself. It is therefore made up of past experinces for example a negative experience will most likely make us feel 'below' someone who has not had such an experience. This will give the world a natural social order.Someone may accept their 'lower' position in society because they have accepted that they are 'lower' because of a negative experience. This then adds to a persons sense of identity, who they are, because they are then defined by the job they do in society.
    Envy and Jealousy is also part of the ego because these also add to a persons view of their self.The lack of something which others have will no doubt lead the individual to assume they are on a different level to others. Envy and Jealousy are however wanting something that others have, that the individual does not possess.The lack of something that others have does not neccesarily mean envy or jealousy because the 'thing' in question may be something negative. However Envy and Jealousy are still part of the ego because they contribute to the persons sense of themself.

8. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Doesn't someone with a past full of misdeeds and hate have an even bigger chance of growing up to be a villain if they don't change? By your logic, we're all doomed to become evil, either because we're big-headed or unrefined.

9. Neville Registered Senior Member

I didnt say that at all Walker. Flaming June asked me to elaborate on what i had written and i did. Thats all. How can you see all that from what I have written?

10. flaming june Registered Member

i understood this. but i don't see the good in this. anyone can do anything they want. jealousy and envy usually only bring helplessness and pain

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The ego and the sense of "I".

While the ego holds all those jealousy things, it is not the sole ruler. No more than the subconcious is. It is a partial of the make up of I and by itself can influance but can not be sole ruler.

Many things go into how someone acts. Who they are and how they are. Experience with the world around us is one, which teaches what is acceptable and what is not. From peer pressure to social custom.

Ever watch small children at school or on the play ground or even think back of your own past. Children have not learned what is right and wrong by social custom and more. They can be mean and cruel to their fellows. Somewhere along the way each becomes the butt of the joke so to say or the tormented and the tormenter. Schools are as valuable for shaping social character as they are for teaching.

Somewhere along the way, compassion is learned, to some degree. Usually by being shown that after having been the butt of a tormenter. It does not develop full bossom from one or two episodes but shows later in life.

Many things; thoughts and experiences amoung them, develop to balance the ego.

12. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

Freud and Jung

". . .a man like me cannot live without a hobbyhorse,
    a consuming passion---in Schiller's words a tyrant. I
    have found my tyrant, and in service I know no limits.
    My tyrant is psychology." -FREUD, 1895
    From a letter to Wilhelm Fliess

"The total personality as conceived by Freud consists of three major systems. These are called the id, the ego, and the superego. In the mentally healthy person these three systems form a unified and harmonious organization. By working together co-operatively they enable the individual to carry on efficient and satisfying transactions with his environment. The purpose of these transactions is the fulfillment of man's basic needs and desires. Conversely, when the three systems of personality are at odds with one another the person is said to be maladjusted. He is dissatisfied with himself and with the world, and his efficiency is reduced."

Source:
    A Primer of Freudian Psychology

"My life is a story of the self-realization of the
    unconscious."-Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961)

"The ego is the name Jung uses for the organization of the conscious mind; it is composed of conscious perceptions, memories, thoughts, and feelings. Although the ego occupies a small portion of the total psyche, it plays the vitally important function of gatekeeper to consciousness. Unless the ego acknowledges the presence of an idea, a feeling, a memory, or a perception, it cannot be brought into awareness. The ego is highly selective. It resembles a distillery; much psychic material is fed into it but little comes out or reaches the level of full awareness. Every day we are subjected to a vast number of experiences, most of which do not become conscious because ego eliminates them before they reach consciousness. This is an
    important function, for otherwise, we would be overwhelmed by the mass of material that would crowd into consciousness. The ego provides identity and continuity for a personality because by the selection and elimination of psychic material the ego can maintain a continuous quality of coherence in the individual personality. It is because of the ego that we feel ourselves to be the same person today that we were yesterday. In this respect, Individuation and the ego work in close relationship to each other in developing a distinctive and ongoing personality. The person can become individuated only to the extent that the ego permits incoming experiences to become conscious."

Source:
    A Primer of Jungian Psychology

13. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Of course there is the superego that embodies altruism, the understanding of others, and the like.

And then there is the Id, the purely reactionary part of the mind, the reptile part.

14. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Neville: settle down. I was responding to the original post, not yours. Sorry. I'm just really late with these, because I'm not on that frquently anymore.

15. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

quck quack duck.

speaking of Jung- my opinion is that any science based(and, yes...some people do still try to do so) on those Jungian premises of his would pitch us straight backwards into a revival of the occult world view and in doing so, return to naive animism. i am more a proponent of the Cartesian paradigm point-of-view school. yep.

16. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

eh....killed another thread. one down and 500 or more to go.