Effects of computer work on your cognitive structures

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by water, Dec 10, 2004.

1. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Effects of computer work on your cognitive structures

I'm noticing that using the computer has effects on the way I think. Here are some examples -- I first named the computer task, and then the way it is reflected in my non-computer work and thinking:

Windows >> I think about my daily schedule and places I have to go, and when I want to go from one to another (in my mind), the experience of switching between windows appears, parallel in my mind somehow. Like, "aha, now I must go to aerobics, click x on the window "Studying" and enlarge the window "Aerobics" ".

Clicking on links >> I read a book, see underlined words, and I point my finger on the underlined word, wanting to click it, as if it were a link.

Text editor effects >> In handwriting, after each . I begin with an upper case letter, even though the . signified an abbreviation. So I write, for example, "... this means, esp. In the context of ..." (Namely, my MS Word is set to upper case after a . .) Then I find myself wanting to go back to that word I wrongly upper-cased, and wish to click shift+f3 to change it. In handwriting!

Playing Free cell >> This one probably has the most remarkable effect. You know how you place the cards one on another, right? When I think about my daily schedule, or try to organize things in my mind, or just think about things, I find myself placing these thoughts one on another, as if they were cards. Usually, this, in my mind, looks thus: A green background, here and there, there is a card, and between the cards, neatly placed as if they were cards, are mental images of studying, washing the dishes, exercising, people I must call ...
    The elements of the game work as elements of a metaphor, and they organize my thinking.

These effects don't appear regularly, only sporadically; but I also dream these structures sometimes.

Has anyone else made such or similar experiences?