Ebola, coming to a place near you soon!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by joepistole, Sep 30, 2014.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

What's the alternative? Wait until the plane lands, so the vomit can dribble up to the front as they brake?

Flight attendants get exposed to significantly more radiation on the job than their ground-based colleagues, to the extent that there are dozens of cases of cancer every year (breast and melanoma mainly) that you can chalk up to radiation. Thus a flight attendant has a far higher chance of dying of cancer due to her job than dying of Ebola due to her job. If death from radiation doesn't seem "wrong", then the even lower chance of death from Ebola is even less "wrong."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think the point is stewards are inadequately trained and equipped to handle Ebola or any communicable disease.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Let's hope the government stops with the feckless PR and does something that will stop the epidemic.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

These are the kind of things the CDC, and their equivalents elsewhere need to consider before it happens.
    It might not happen at all, but the plans need to be better than providing a junior nurse's outfit.

Here's an idea.
    Have a protection outfit that the suspected passenger has to put on.
    If the passenger needs to be sick, there is a bag inside.

Too late if the passenger has already infected the whole cabin, but it could be useful.

Another idea.
    Turf the First class passengers into steerage, and make the first class a quarantine area.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The problem is those measures will cost money, money airlines do not want to spend.

Back in the day, someone puking on an airplane was no big deal. It was called motion sickness. Today, the plane gets quarantined.

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Same as BP.
    Shaving safety measures cost them a lot of money by the time the courts were finished with them.

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yep, but airlines and oil companies have lobbyists to buy access and influence in government. And the common man gets screwed again.

12. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

as soon as the lobbyists at pharmaceutical companies make enough profit...as soon as they are finished.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I hope we fuck it up and lose half the world's population.

14. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Harsh. But maybe ...

Edit: I like your new avatar. Much more fun than American Goth.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Depends entirely on how chunky it is. For a very particulate vomitus, maybe just throw a towel over it so that any loose fluids don't slide around. If it's a loose one, time for the $21 sputum kit.

Well, I suppose you have a point - but exposure to something with at least a 50% death rate?

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Makes sense.
    Many forms of cancer have a similar death rate. (And a great many flight attendants have died from cancer - none have died from Ebola.)

Caution is certainly warranted in any potential Ebola exposure. But the odds of death are still very, very low - and others are far higher. It would make more sense to spend the money (if there is money to be spent) on things that are actually killing flight attendants.

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

A much better idea - if he is suspected of having Ebola, he is tested at the airport. (If he's not suspected of having Ebola, then that vomit is probably due to motion sickness - which is very common.)
    What conceivable way would an entire cabin be infected? (unless it's those infamous "open-sores-and-orgies" Southwest flights)

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

So long as it's the other half.

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Agreed, generally: and it's true that cancer is higher in flight crews, including breast cancer. But this is novel, acute set of events. In dealing with a disease outbreak like this, I think extreme measures are necessary. What would we say to the families of the dead infected, who could have been saved by simple preventative actions?

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Mary Schiavo, former Inspector General of The Department Of Transportation, is in a agreement. The government needs to ban travel from the afflicted countries.

It is difficult to see how a travel ban on the 150 people who come from the region each day to this country would be catastrophic.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1410/06/ath.02.html

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

22. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

23. fogpipe Registered Member

Man Infected with Ebola Misinformation Through Casual Contact With Cable News

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/boro...bola-misinformation-casual-contact-cable-news

I wonder if this isnt "keep calm and carry on" propaganda, or inspired by it. Its funny tho

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!