Ebola, coming to a place near you soon!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by joepistole, Sep 30, 2014.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Obama may be handing the midterms to Republicans with his mismanagement of this crisis.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Yes ... I am sure the Australian Government already knows this which makes their claims of "no evac guarantees" appear to be a smoke screen/cover for something else. It is also something the governments political opposition has no insight into, as they re advocating "the sending of support" in opposition to the Gov's line. Bi partisan agreement would have normally been the case. Our PM's decision to NOT send is most puzzling...IMO

The opposition party (2 party system) has been apparently taken out of the loop which is not a good sign.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

There is a possibility that the PM is seriously concerned about over extending, possibly expecting all medical personal will be needed at home (with privileged insight c/o close working security relationship with USA admin)

Trying to predict this thing with out paranoia present is not easy

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

TexaS is placing exposed individuals in isolation. All this could have been avoided with a travel ban or quarantine of travelers.

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Here is another problem, public health officials have been boastful of their knowledge of Ebola. Frieden boasted Today before congress.

Now it turns out he may not know as much as he thinks. A paper was released today saying the much vaunted 21 day latency period might be in error. Ebola might be latent for longer periods.

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

One thing that they may be also seriously considering is the notion that "More people will potentially die or fall ill due to the indirect effects of infection paranoia " than the Ebola Virus itself.

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think they have enough people dying from the real disease.

That said, I think there will be a cure or vaccine within the next few months or year. But that should not be an excuse for complacency. Much damage can be inflicted between now and then.

And there may come a virus much deadlier than Ebola. We should heed the lessons of Ebola.

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Agrees!

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It looks like Texas Health may have to close the hospital. It has already closed the emergency department. Apparently people don't want to go to the Ebola hospital. The stigma attached with this incident may be to much to bear.

And then there are the law suits which could easily cost the hospital millions of dollars.

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

The CDC in the American system (fee for services doctors and hospitals) has no real authority. Each of the 50 state's health departments can issues commands. The CDC can only recommend.

This is one reason why US may need an Ebola Zar. I have listed at least 8 reasons why the public health service system is better in prior posts; now this makes one more - they have someone agency in control and generally speaking the public has confidence in that system - would never want to switch to the US system and pay more than twice as much for worse care the delivers 2 to 3 years less life expectancy with very costly medicine, instead of free to the user.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We need a Surgeon General, an appointment the Republicans are blocking.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Ebola can linger in sperm cells of an infected person for a long time, perhaps 70 days.

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I don't think they know how long it is in the sperm. As much as Frieden likes to boast about how much he knows about Ebola as time progresses it is quite apparent there is much he doesn't know about the disease.

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Something that is puzzling me is that if Ebola was as contagious as suggested then by now most if not all African states (not just those of West Africa) should be showing incidents of outbreak.
    We should be seeing many global flash points by now and this is not occurring.
    I may need to retract my ramblings about the extent and severity of the threat.
    The question is:
    How is this virus being contained to only primarily West Africa and has not spread to other African regions as you would expect according to WHO & UN reports on potentials?
    As far as I know there is nothing stopping it's spread across Africa generally

18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

As an aside:
    Anecdotal research:
    Ebola is the English translation of Arabic for the color black. الإيبولا
    The color Black is directly associated with Fear. [commonly - fear of the unknown or unknowable]
    2014 March. Ebola outbreak declared UN
    2014 June. pseudo Islamic State declared ISIL
    ISIL - Use of color black dominant. ( flag, uniforms, anonymity )
    ISIL - Primary weapon fear. (promotion of paranoia)
    Mobility, threat of genocide, mass executions, abductions, rape, be-headings, suicidal devotion, obey or die philosophy.

Fear is all it is about...

Speculation:
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is found later that ISIL instigated (edit* read deliberately started) the (2014) Ebola problem in West Africa as well...so bizarre is their apocalyptic brutality

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think you are pushing it a bit. Ebola was a discovered 33 years ago - way before ISIL. And the man who found it was a European. He named the virus Ebola, after a river in West Africa.

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

yeah... probably are...
    but note I didn't say ISIL discovered it. I wrote that they may have instigated it. As in deliberately starting this latest outbreak.
    If so , then I don't think it (the spread of Ebola) has done what they expected it to do...
    Other than redefining the word terror in the word "terror-ist"

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

22. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Any real research backing that up?
    As far as I can see, الإيبولا is the Arabic word for Ebola, not black.

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member