Earth's Slowing Spin

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by IceAgeCivilizations, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

They've added at least 22 leap seconds over the last 50 years, so you've got this little hurdle.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Stupid.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

A ban would be pointless, I suggest people simply ignore the troll.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Did you miss this ENTIRELY...
    ...or did you simply ignore it in hopes the information would not sink in?

8. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

No answers? Just flaming?

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Please answer my question.
    Did you not understand what I said about the 22 leap seconds added?
    If not, please tell me what part is confusing you, and I will try and elaborate and clarify.

10. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

The point, one raven, is that the purpose of the atomic clock is so that the atomic second would be the same (within atomic precision) of the Earth second, not "slightly different," you can get slightly different with a wrist watch.

11. Jeremyhfht Registered Senior Member

Earth slowing does happen. Make sure you all know this. But definitely not to his assumed degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_acceleration#Historical_evidence

Happy to educate ^-^. Now kindly just ignore him, it's obvious he's trolling.

Edit: As for the atomic clock, the clock measures time very very precisely due to it's near blinding accuracy precision of the second. It's not set to anything. The problem is even it isn't perfect, and scientists know this. So it's a tad too fast (by a few decimal places) for earth seconds.

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Firstly...
    Wrong.
    Dead wrong.
    The point was so that everyone, everywhere could be using the same standard measurment of time.

Second...
    You still did not answer my question.
    If you add a second every year, because your clock counts one second less than a year, that time does not accumulate.
    If the rotation of the earth is slowing by one second a year, you will (as was pointed out to you) the number of seconds you will have to add will increase each time.

13. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Atomic precision is much greater than within .002 seconds, you guys are thinking about sun dials or something.

14. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I propose adding this statement(which matches my comments in post 33) after each and every nonsensical reply by IAC in this thread.

15. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Your little statement defies that atomic clocks are much more precise that that, but add away if you must.

16. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Are you at least trying to use your brain?

17. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

18. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Anyone who reads the links posted by the knowledgeable ones (not IAC) will recognize that the atomic second and the current earth second are slightly different, for historical reasons. As I recall, the atomic second is based on what the earth second was about 150 years ago, though I don't recall exactly why that was so,though you can read about it at the links posted, or google it to find out.

In any event, the Earth's slowing of spin is NOT as IAC has posted, but is in fact as posted by the knowledgeable ones. The leap second is added to account for the difference between the atomic second and the current earth second.

This was covered thoroughly in another thread in which IAC and I both posted, quite a few months ago. Evidently, he continues to disregard simple truths, and prefers to believe that everyone else in wrong, particularly the knowledgeable ones who work in their respective fields, and that he alone has the truth.

Apparently, IAC is attempting to make an argument that the slowing of the earth's spin (at the slowing rate he throws out, unsupported by any evidence) means that the earth would have had to have been spinning way too fast in the distant past to allow for life, and therefore the earth was instead created circa 4500 B.C. with everything intact and set in motion almost as we see it today.

Thus, under IAC's theory, the ocean terraces on the mountains surrounding the oceans, and the lake benches on the mountains surrounding dried lake beds, were created as they are circa 4500 B.C. to fool scientists in these latter days into concluding that the earth is ancient, and that the ocean terraces were formed long before the last ice age, when the oceans were much higher than at present hundreds of thousands of years ago, before the last ice age. Google 'marine terraces' for more information on that, if you want to get the details of the dropping ocean levels leaving behind marine terraces. Also see:

http://ceres.ca.gov/ceres/calweb/coastal/terraces.html

Of course, IAC will probably try to claim that as the ocean receded following "the flood" it stablized (for thousands of years, the time it takes to carve such wave-eroded terraces) at various levels (but of course, not at the higher elevations of the mountains, only the lower elevations closest to the ocean level now).

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It has absolutely nothing at all to do with the precision of atomic clocks in any way.

20. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Why would they not calibrate the atomic clock with the precision with which it is capable, Walter?

21. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It is precise.
    That is why it is used as a standard of measurment worldwide.

They don't adjust the speed that the clock is running, because that doesn't change (because it is precise).
    They adjust the time that is displayed because an atomic second is not exactly 1/86,400 of a day anymore.

The earth is not slowing by half a second a year, the year is about 3/4 of a second longer than it was about 150 years ago, when the second WAS 1/86,400 of a day.

22. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

So what did they use to measure the length of the day which is "not exactly" the length of the atomic clock day?

23. Sputnik Banned Banned

Heh, heh ........IceAge ..
    Man was created october 23 , 4004 BC at 9 o´clock in the morning - Don´t let anybody tell you anything else

http://www.sacred-texts.com/time/timeline.htm

And to the rest of you , don´t waste your time trying to educate IceAge ...... he is actually not capable of understanding logic .....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.