Earth's rotation and the flat earth theory

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Tralay, Jul 26, 2017.

1. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

I agree. Gravity is funny. For example erections are humourus because they defy gravity.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

question ; How flat is the earth?
    Thus in the Pacific Ocean on our side of the earth it is already 124 miles deep and that is just at the Mariana Islands.
    Add to this the depth of the Indian ocean (the other side of earth) we already get a pretty thick flat earth.
    question, how thick is the earth from its surface to its center?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And this picture holds generally true from any point you want to drill down. Everything is more or less equidistant from the center of the earth, which in a geometric sense makes the earth a sphere, albeit with an irregular surface.

question; how is it possible that flying in any direction will always brings us back to our point of departure?
    The answer is: the earth is a sphere and if you circumnavigate the earth in any direction will always bring you back to the point of departure. You never come to the end of earth, because there isn't any. It's a fricking sphere.

questions: which other planets are flat?

And someone actually is proposing the earth is flat??????? This is becoming a comic strip.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

There was once a Flat Earth Society (circa 1965- 1975) which seemed to be a group of English folks who regularly met in a pub.

They pretended to believe that the Earth was flat and there were folks who took them seriously.

They had an artist sketch of the flat Earth which showed a circular disk with Europe in the center & western Africa hanging over the edge perpendicular to the disk.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't that be a Royal Flat Earth Society?

8. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

You might want to read that again. The Marianas trench is 124 miles from the Mariana Islands. That's horizontally (to the east). It has nothing to do with the depth of the trench, which is about 7 miles, I think.

But in order for a disk-earth to have any structural integrity, it would have to have considerable depth, I would guess 5% to 10% of the diameter.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Don't be silly. Build it out of scrith and it need only be a few metres thick.

10. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

This place would be good for picking up some rishathra action.

11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You are right, I misread that Wiki entry..

12. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

we form as a living being while spinning. (from spinning atoms?)
    we are born spinning
    we live spinning

pondering, just for arguement sake, is the bird also connected to earth electrical field(= Gravity field?) ? does this mass/energy stay connected to some point in the relationship as it reduces its speed...? (to allow the bird to slow down[reduce its rotational speed] it must have energy added.)
    genericaly speaking that added energy comes from the Earth ?
    is there a transfer point of balance somewhere to be had (somewhere?)?

simplistically picturing it it seems funny to be conceptually adding energy to reduce the birds attraction to the mass/Gravity(?)
    it's a bit confusing for me.. this is equalling/balancing the mass of the bird to the earth ?

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes, it does.

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No. The bird needs to apply thrust to move forward through the atmosphere. Should it stop applying forward thrust, it will come to rest, stationary with the mass of air it is in.

15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

if we removed the gas, thus made a vacuum, the bird would still be getting spun by the planets gravitational field ?
    i assume(im no physacist or mathamatician so bare with me) the bird gathers energy from the energy it manipulates with its wings ?
    thus low pressure/high pressure against atmosphere gives it energy that reduces its mass allowing it to seperate from the mass of the earth ?

once it gathers that energy it is able to use it to gain distance from the earths surface ?

if the bird gains thrust in a vacuum i gues it slows down with the rate of gravitational sheer against the Axis of the angle from the centre(assuming it is frictionless running on an orbital frictionles surface etc...)

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, the bird was a poor example.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_mass

But would launching a rocket beyond the earth's atmosphere, to the Moon or Mars reduce the mass of the earth?

Taking this further, if we were to launch a thousand rockets (each weighing say, 100,000 lbs) to the Mars in order to establish a Mars colony, would the Earth's mass be reduced by 100,000,000 lbs and increase the Mars' gravity by 100,000,000 lbs?

If so, would both the Earth's and Mars' orbit around the sun shift ever so slightly?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    RainbowSingularity likes this.
  17. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Spinning at the atomic level usually doesn't impact us much up here in the macro world.

Unless you're an atomic bomb.

Are you an atomic bomb? Just a little boy in a big world?

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No.

If you mean kinetic energy (movement), sure.

No, it does not reduce its mass. No, it does not separate from the Earth. Any interaction with the atmosphere means it is part of Earth's mass.

No. It is not on a ballistic trajectory, like a bullet. It rises from the Earth's surface by pushing air down - just like you are held above the surface by pushing down on the chair you are sitting in. You don't weigh any less just because there is a chair between you and the ground. Neither does the bird.

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes.

You might want to put that in perspective though.

Earth is bombarded by 100 tons of meteors every single day.

exchemist likes this.
  20. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I imagine a Flat Earth as being a circular disk.

Does it rotate?

What is is its radius?

How thick is it?

Is it sitting on something?

I wonder what would happen if I walked to the edge & stepped off. ​

How far would I fall?

Perhaps I would not fall because gravity is caused by the disk under me.​

21. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

You might as well ask "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin". Flatters will take some things on faith because the flat earth math is beyond them. And beyond Alan Guth as well.

22. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Gawdzilla Sama: I was hoping there were some Flat Earthers Paying attention to this Thread.

It would be interesting to learn their views.

23. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

They flee before people who ask questions that don't have flatter answers. I can take you to some if you want. And by "take" I mean I'll stop where the pavement ends and point. You might want to have your affairs in order before you go.