Earthquake Shifted Earth's Axis

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Thoreau, Mar 2, 2010.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I still do not understand how they can prove this.:shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

They use geophysical data from an earthquake to model how rock was moved by the earthquake, and how this change in mass distribution inside the Earth effects its rotation (and, hence, the length of a day).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Earthquake shifted earths axis/1.26 Micro seconds threads merged as they're essentially discussing the sane thing.

Oh yeah, this has been a MODERATOR NOTE

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yep, it IS interesting!

But I hope no one is getting worked up about it - people could not possibly notice the difference. You could sort of compare it to how much your thumbnail grows in 5 minutes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. tostig Registered Senior Member

One can take observations of the background stars and check how their paths across the sky has changed. With instruments sensitive enough to determine exoplanets, I'm sure you can measure the deviation in the Earth's rotation this way too.

I'd like to know how this affected gps satellite readings and the accelerating north magnetic pole.

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

The scientists point is that the earthquake changed the earth's axis by a very small amount.

.......But, as Gross noted in his Scientific American interview, the massive shifts of the Earth's plates have far less of an influence of the axis than even the breeze. "Changes in winds have by far the greatest effect on the length of the day: their effect is actually about 300 times larger.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=how-the-earthquake-in-chile-changed-2010-03-02

So, the earthquake is no great shakes.

By changes in winds, he is talking about large scale changes, such as those produced in El Nino years, but I wonder if Giant Hurricanes have a similar scale of effect as this earthquake. Or would it be much smaller still?

Newton would be very happy to know that his laws are still being obeyed after 300 odd years.

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

The effect on the GPS system will be negligible. Besides, they make minor corrections like this to the birds' programming/clocks very frequently anyway.

12. draqon Banned Banned

aren't GPS units tranceivers? Wouldnt they be able to receive and send data? If so can't they be reprogrammed for the minor changes?

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Whatever. The next Earthquake will shift it back

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Somehow, yes!

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That doesn't make sense to me, draqon, sorry.

Or are your asking if the GPS satellites simply repeat what they receive? In which case the answer is no - as I said, their clocks (and programming, if needed) are updated regularly for minor changes. Those changes are needed due to relativistic effects and minor changes in orbital altitudes.

Or are you asking about the GPS units that people buy and use?

16. draqon Banned Banned

I was asking about GPS units that people use, like the Garmin 305 forerunner I got.

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

OK, I'm with you now.

They are receivers and process the information they receive from the satellites. They don't require internal clock corrections - that's needed in the satellites so that they send the correct data in the first place.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So could another earthquake shift the axis back the other way to counter what happened now?

19. draqon Banned Banned

guess what Taiwan just had a huge earthquake

20. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

6.6 - not that big.

21. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Oh..I didn't hear about the Taiwan EQ. What country will be next? ;o Japan?

22. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

no it's not, it's nature
    and earth

23. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

i was going to post that topic
    lol

i think that one day, a very far one day, earth will start rotating in the other way,