E.S.P Due To Magnetism In Blood Flow

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by common_sense_seeker, Jul 18, 2011.

1. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Try this Zapping the brain with magnets makes it IMPOSSIBLE to lie, claim scientists (Sep 9, 2011)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Is there like a goofy web where you get this stuff?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Hmm, someone should have zapped the reporter's (or the scientists') brain...
    Quote 1:
    If truth be told, magnetic interference with the brain makes it impossible to lie.

Quote 2:
    Remarkably, those stimulated on the left side fibbed a great deal more, those on the right showed much more honesty.

Quote 2 certainly doesn't indicate certainty in the results, merely a tendency.

Then again, it is The Mail. They're much more used to publishing two-page centre spreads on how the stars affect your love life...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

The God Helmet is scientific evidence of the ESP effect of detecting a presence being due to magnetism.

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Not even close to being true.

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Holy crap, that's a riot.

10. Arioch Valued Senior Member

Why isn't this in the Cesspool?

11. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Because common_sense_seeker is doing a good job populating the thread with interesting relevant parapsychology posts, complete with pictures and links for our entertainment.

The thread is neat little resource exemplifying the broad depths of human belief. Some beliefs seem to extend so far over the edge of the cliff as to be self-defeating.

Mind you, there are some off-topic posts like yours that I quoted and mine right now, but the thread as a whole belongs right here in this little niche.

12. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Its an interesting premise what sort of threads would you expect in parapsyc?

13. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@Joey --

Well I would expect people to at least try to use things that haven't already been disproven. It would be nice for a change.

14. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Your post is much appreciated S&D

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Any scientific evidence, or just opinion?
    I have always valued your posts, because while I believed them to be generally mistaken,
    they often drew on new and fascinating developments in science.
    Sometimes far more interesting and informative than the mainstream posts.
    I hope that the current "Fringe" section is not resulting in a drop of your standards CSS.
    This is complete rubbish isn't it. Or am I mistaken?
    You still need to back up scientific suppositions.
    Can you do so?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  16. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

I'll take the backhanded compliment CK, thanks, but the flow of the iron in the blood is the intuitive piece of deduction, more than the iron content itself. It *is* just my dedicated opinion, yes, which is a lot more now than just speculation.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Your dedicated opinion and intuitive deduction is more than mere speculation?
    Scientifically?
    Explain.

18. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

If Einstein's relativity falls then 'scientific "proof"' becomes something of a joke. All of mainstream science is based on a few basic assumptions which are currently under close scrutiny. If a dedicated individual alters these basic assumptions in an intuitive anticipation of a fall of the theory of gravity, then a whole host of new possibilities arises. When a certain set of hypotheses start to fit the evidence and fills the holes of mainstream theory, then the individual becomes quietly convinced that he or she is right and that everyone else has missed a simple trick.

19. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Right. The God helmet is interesting, however it is far from being scientific proof of ESP. Extraordinary claims require the evidence to back up such assertions. It's your duty common_sense_seeker to back up your claim in this case.

That quote is from the Wikipedia article.

What are your reasons for concluding the God Helmet as scientific proof for ESP?

20. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

I said evidence, not proof. The tv programme showed the experiment and said that 80% of people feel a 'presence' when the device activates small magnetic fields, particularly to the right temporal cortex (I think).

21. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Ah you're correct then, my apologies. Carry on

Some skeptical readers might want to chirp in with cries of anti-evidence, however it is indeed evidence however credible, weak, or strong it might be. Here's more information for those readers:

http://www.criticalthinking.org.uk/unit1/

22. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the recognition.

23. kx000 Valued Senior Member

The force is with you