E = MC^2 BUT is there a conservation of Gravity?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Shawn34m, Mar 31, 2003.

1. MacM Registered Senior Member

Good. You seem to recall the same paper. If so there were (8) different causes for FTL observation analyized. I am very confident that what was said was that only 1/2% of the FTL observations could be explained by the "Illusion Solution".

Some FTL of course was also explainable by the other (7) potential causes. The bottom line however was that not all FTL could be accounted for by any current explanation other than actual FTL.

The absence of "Blue Shift" was a major rejection of most FTL. That is indeed such objects are moving at angles in every possible direction and only those moving virtually directly at us at relavistic velocities appear both to be FTL and have "Blue Shift".

Object appearing FTL and not having "Blue Shift" are not due to the "Illusion Solution".

My point was that James R posted that solution as a virtual explanation for all FTL observations. It is not. Further He (and others) poo-phooed" my objection since most such observations "Do Not" have "Blue Shift" and it turns out I was right to reject such explanations.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. JavaJones Registered Member

When two objects move towards each other with increasing velocity as a result of gravity, work done on each object, by the other - this work results in an increase in kenetic energy, (1/2 mv^2). This actually aggrivates your question of where the extra energy originates.

Kenetic energy of course is not conserved. However, if you account for potential energy, (the integral of Force over distance), the loss in potential energy will exactly match the gain in kenetic energy.

In the case of using a planet as a sling shot, it is possible that the attraction of the rocket on the planet (or moon), will act to slow down the planet rather than speed it up. (depending on whether the rocket is approacing the planet from the direction is the planet is moving or from the opposite direction). In either case, the potential energy of the system (planet, rocket and sun) plus the kenetic energy of the system will be conserved. (in accordance with Newtonian physics).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.