<b>E. Coli Victims Didn't Wash Hands </b> By JOEL ESKOVITZ Associated Press Writer PORT WASHINGTON, Wis. (AP) — State health officials have determined that 13 people who contracted E. coli bacteria at a county fair early this month visited animal barns or a petting zoo, then ate without washing their hands. Those who became sick touched manure or touched an item that came into contact with manure, Herb Bostrom, director of the state Bureau of Communicable Diseases, said Wednesday. The bacteria live in the intestines of animals and humans. ``It's not bad luck. It's bad hygiene,'' Bostrom said. ``If you go into an animal barn and don't wash your hands, you're going to get sick.'' The state examined 52 water samples and six manure samples from the Ozaukee County fairgrounds and found no trace of E. coli. Officials determined the bacteria did not come from food or drinks provided at the fair or from any ponds on the fairgrounds. More than 220 people filled out a questionnaire about their experiences at the fair, held Aug. 1-5. Their answers led officials to pinpoint the barns and zoo, although not any exact source of the bacteria. People who contract the bacteria can suffer abdominal cramping, severe or bloody diarrhea, and sometimes chills and fever. Fair officials placed more than 25 signs in barns and zoos encouraging everyone to wash their hands before eating, said Ken Riemer, Ozaukee County Agricultural Society president. ``It's very frustrating,'' he said. ``We tried. We feel very sorry for those who did get sick.''