Dyson Sphere - Impossible?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by sderenzi, Aug 26, 2006.

1. sderenzi Banned Banned

I was just wondering if anyone here actually thinks a Dyson Sphere can be constructed. Currently what I have learned is basically the engineering requirements would be to vast to ever really complete one. So this leads to the question... if machines were ever developed that would collect materials in space to build one would it be feasible then?

Opinions?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I always thought that the amount of energy required to construt such an object would be so large that it would defeat the purpose of having one in the first place.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. craterchains (Norval What will you know tomorrow? Registered Senior Member

I think it is entirley possible, and becoming even more so as we develope stronger materials.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. For what it's worth, I'd be echoing Nickelodeon's exact sentiments - other than the technical achievement of being all terribly cleaver and so forth, what would be the point?

8. Paisley Tie Registered Member

in my belief, construction of a Dyson Sphere is entirely possible at some future point in time and space. Clearly, it'll never happen in the Sol system, but elsewhere and elsewhen......most definitely. It's an engineering problem and humanity is exceedingly good at solving those kind of problems. It's the technology we need to attain first.

9. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Possible, but surely pointless. If we had the kind of technology required to build such a thing we won't need a Dyson Sphere.

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

what about all the suns radiation?
    the earth only intercepts a small fraction of the suns output.
    a dyson sphere will intercept all of it.

11. Novacane Registered Senior Member

Ask Mr. Dyson.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Sorry, my mistake. The point of a Dyson Sphere would be to power 600 trillion bagless vacuumn cleaners.

13. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

The construction of partial Dyson spheres a hypothetical advanced civilisation is quite likely; it is the construction of a total all-encompassing sphere which is somewhat less likely.
    A partial Dyson sphere could be as minimal as a swarm of solar power satellites. Even if such a swarm collects only a millionth of the Sun's output it would collect more than ten million times the electrical energy we use on our world today. Of course a full Dyson sphere covering the entire Sun would produce ten trillion times our current power output; but for various reasons such a full Dyson is unlikely.

There would be a tipping point, I suspect; once such a power swarm starts producing more power than it takes to construct and maintain it, the swarm could potentially grow in size until it has used up a significant proportion of the solid matter in the solar system.

On this page there are some images I have made of various kinds of fictional dyson sphere-like objects; there are technical difficulties associated with the construction of each of these objects, although ways of overcoming those difficulties have been suggested.
    As I suggested before, the most likely kind of Dyson Sphere-like object is a partial swarm, possibly supported by light pressure as statite satellites. Such a power swarm could be constructed fairly easily, and there is no reason to rule out the construction of such a swarm in our own system at some time in the future. Such a swarm would resemble a natural dust cloud from an observational point of view; they might be difficult for astronomers to identify.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

the previous post leads me to conclude that the asteriod belt could be used to construct a dyson sphere. we could construct power modules on the asteroid and move it into the correct attitude.

15. Novacane Registered Senior Member

16. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Interesting pictures. The idea of a swarm sounds more likely. But isnt the point of an all encompassing sphere to capture ALL the energy from the star. In a swarm much of it escapes.

18. Novacane Registered Senior Member

So now we look at the theoretical Dyson Sphere.......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.orionsarm.com/civ/Dyson_Spheres.html

19. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

20. orcot Valued Senior Member

yust wondering but wouldn't it be possible to build a dyson sfere around a gas giant in a habitable zone?
    It would be hundreds of times smaller then a true dyson sfere but it would still have a enermous surface with more surface area then all the solid planet surfaces together.
    It would still be possible to rotate it making a more or less 24 h day and still have a 1G enviroment (from the gas giant at such a hight minus the rotating energy).
    Not as grant as a dyson sfere but a million times more easy to construct and you don't get the bad side effects meaning you can actually walk under the sky without being sucked into it.

21. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I think the main point of the Dyson Sphere is to collect as much energy of the Sun as possible, rather than simply try and build loads of room to live.

22. Novacane Registered Senior Member

Makes you wonder if NASA has any future plans to build a Dyson Sphere around our own sun? Contractors submit your bids now.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

A partial Dyson Sphere. Sounds like Ringworld. Anybody read Larry Niven?