Dyson Bladeless Fan

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Pinwheel, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John99 Banned Banned

laptops are better in plastic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I disagree.
    I like my wife's aluminum MacBook Pro.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Really? How so? It looks like it would move around furniture and corners much easier then a regular vacuum.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pinwheel Banned Banned

You have to deploy it with a footpedal type thing and it spreads backwards and out, for support I guess. And its heavy too, to you need good grip and both hands to guide it properly. The 'ball' is a good idea but they cancelled out the benefit.

8. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

Look, it is really neat and inventive and I bet the Dyson Man is well off.Plus he is more than likely happy doing this kind of stuff,inventing.I praise him.

9. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Here is an example of an impeller, the air enters through the center of the saucer, and when the saucer spins at high speeds the blades inside force the air our of the sides at high pressure, hence, an impeller.

Here are a few examples

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I believe the one in the vacum is an example of the impeller at the far right of the above picture. Sorry I have no idea how to make the picture smaller

10. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I dislike macs a lot. They brag about things that are nonsense.

Like the failure of the new leoperd

"It must be a software error, but macs dont have software errors, so it must be a hacker, but macs are unhackable, so it must be a software error..."

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I have always used PC's.
    I very much like the aluminum uni-body construction, though.

12. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

I bought one for my wife a few years ago she loves it she used to have a Kirby Upright it wieghed about 5000 pounds JK but it was damn heavy. This Dyson it a great vaccum it works as wdvertised and has every attachment know to man on it she even does the hardwood floors with it.

13. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

You should buy custom pc's, sounds expensive but strangely enough, in utter defiance to the general law that custom things professionally made are always uber expensive, custom made pc's are actually cheaper. For example here is my custom desktop

Antec 900 case (basically is a full tower case, has 5 120 mm fans and 1 200 mm fan) and is a black steel construction. Unless you buys custom 90% of the pre built cases out there are non metal cheap ass plastics. Sure its 100 dollars and 30 pounds, but if offers far superior case ventilation and space for all your hardware needs. You would be hard pressed to find an individual case that is plastic, plastic cases are the first indicator you are being ripped off.

Nvidia 780i, now this is a great motherboard, but the fact is unless your are a programmer, gamer, or want a home theatre center, or just want something bad ass, you wont need something this powerful, this is around 200 dollars I believe.

GeForce 260 GTX, I actually bought two of these, now in practically any prebuilt case you get you get and overpriced woefully underpowered graphics card, in some of the cheaper ones they dont even HAVE graphics cards, they just use the motherboard's graphics card (which is a tiny little thing) and route it through an expansion slot.

Sound card, unless you are planning on getting speakers this is un necessary, and even then if your not gaming, a 30 dollar one will do.

Now I could list all the other components, but the above are what tend to be used to rip you off.

To get a computer equivalent to this youd need to pay:

3400 dollars for an alienware
    2800 dollars for an intel premade or any other premade (and yes this is still a plastic case with maybe 3 fans all of which are probably 80-100 mm)

I bought it for a little under 2200 dollars.

And an extra 50-100 dollars for a pro to put it together, so you can effectively save 500 dollars and still get a higher quality computer.

That s what I have against premade.

PS, dont buy only premade computers which are "custom made" sure you can pick the components, but they still overcharge you, this is what alienware does. It suckers in a lot of amateur pc enthusiasts whom think that these places are the best value.

14. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  15. dylanchong Registered Member

cool, I want to buy one, how?!

16. Kel "Not all who wander are lost." Registered Senior Member

This is what happens when the Queen Mother grows bored.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I have one and I love it. I live in a basement studio so I got the small model, which is paradoxically much more expensive than the full size. It weighs next to nothing, can get into almost any space, and has a sensor that stops the brush from turning before it gets wrapped up in loose carpet fibers. And it's purple.

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Here you go with your spam again. You are responding to a 2 year old post, if you haven't noticed...

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Now if anyone wants to buy a $300 fan, read this review first:

"Dyson advertises that this fan moves 5 gallons per second of air. That translates to 40 cubic feet per minute. This is how fans are typically specified. But Dyson won't use those units of measurement, because that would allow you to make the comparison yourself and realize just what a lousy air mover this fan is.

To put this into perspective, a small clip-on 6" fan can move 190 cubic feet per minute. That little fan costs about $20.

Dyson achieves this deception through props - typically streamers placed around the edge of the fan in store displays and ads. Sure, the air does move quickly from the edge of the fan, just as fast as it moves from conventional fans. However, this is only a thin ring of air movement in the case of the Dyson fans - versus a full circle of air movement from a conventional fan. This helps to explain the difference in air moving performance.

Conventional fans are also quieter. Again, that little 6" clip-on is only 37 decibels. The Dyson is 50 decibels.

The Dyson fan is beautiful and safe. But as a fan, it is loud, has terrible air flow, and is preposterously overpriced other than as a work of art.

Better to buy a fan that works and some artwork that isn't masquerading as a fan."

Bottomline: you want to be cool or you want to look cool?

20. jackyoo Registered Member

it is cheap in China for the bladeless fan

I am in China,there are many bladeless fan in China,you can buy one in $60.If any guys want to buy one,maybe I can help you to get one in China,hehehe....

21. superstring01 Moderator

Don't like to call people liars, but I'm finding this hard to believe. I work for one of the US's largest sellers of vacuums. I can recite details on a number of brands (and for the record, I bought a DC25 Animal and returned it for different reasons [nonadjustable agitator deck] and bought a different one).

The Dyson ball is the lightest fan of its class and is insanely easy to operate. In fact, I found its lightness and quietness to be almost off-putting (in that, I kept wondering if the damned thing was working). It was so easy to manipulate that switching to any other vacuum was almost painful. Moreover, it has more air watts of power (the true test of vacuum power, not "amps" which is just a stupid claim) than any vacuum its size (in fact, no vacuum even comes close, except another Dyson that is!!).

I mean, sure it's heavy if you're used to using a Dust Buster, but that would be ridiculous comparison. My step mother had to switch to a Dyson Ball because she has Osteoporosis and it's light enough for her and her weak muscles to carry up a flight of stairs. If you are finding it un-maneuverable then (1) you need to start doing some pushups and (2) I would advise a visit to your cardiologist.

~String

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Anecdote: my friend the professional house cleaner does not like Dyson ball vacuum cleaners.

She cleans for wealthy people who have them and want her to use them instead of her regular gear (usually a HEPA filter bag vacuum), and she finds them inferior for vacuuming stuff up.

She's an older woman, and does appreciate not having to carry her heavier and bulkier equipment in from her car, but given a choice she would rather schlepp her stuff around and get the job done better.

The bladeless fan seems kind of interesting in that it looks as though one could more easily insulate the thing for noise - even if intrinsically noisier, it could be set up to be quieter in fact?

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I know I'd buy one...especially if they weren't so expensive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.