dvd copy protection

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by djkmoney, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djkmoney Registered Senior Member

I am going off to college and i decided it would be prudent of me to make copies of my dvds. anyone know a good program that gets around copyprotection?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You have to be careful nowadays, originally it was allowed to make a copy of an original as a back incase the original became damaged, But due to the ever increasing trend for file share networks, the powers that be have attempted to make that illegal in a few countries. (So you should potentially check your legal rights out first)

Copy Protection is not a singular method, the industry has many different producers and distrubuters that all have different protection methods, this means that a program might work with one DVD/CD but not another. I can't really give you too much information on how to circumnavigate copy protection because for one it isn't legal and it's something I don't participate in.

I would suggest perhaps looking for information through the use of a search engine and doing a little research into it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Since you didn't ask about ethics, I won't address them.

I've never actually ripped my DVDs, but a good place for [mostly] free software is download.com. Go to the "Audio & Visual > DVD Tools" sub-section and you'll probably find what you're looking for.

My experience with download.com is that the user ratings are quite reliable. I generally don't download something from there unless it has a high rating. They'll also explicity tell you if there's any third-party software bundled with it (a huge convenience, if you ask me).

Also keep in mind that a lot of the downloads are trial versions; but if all you're looking for is a quick & dirty solution then just download the best program, use it to rip your DVDs and then uninstall it. That's what I do

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

http://doom9.net <- all the information and software you need

p.s. the best dvd copy tools are freeware

8. cardiovascular_tech behind you with a knife Registered Senior Member

DVD Shrink works best, also dubdvd in case it doesn't work on them I have yet to see a dvd you could not copy with these two programs and both are free.

9. jumble_nuts Registered Senior Member

Alcohol 120% - you can download the trial here http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/download_120.php You may have to read the manual but for the most part its self explanatory.

[Edited by Stryder]
    I'm suggesting for the legality that people refrain from refering people to "Crack" software. If the software is good software, then people should purchase it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2005
  10. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

DVD Decrypter

Best program there is to make DVD ISOs or copy DVDs. Well, single layer DVDs that is. Use DVDShrink to make a double layer DVD fit onto a single layer DVD. Both programs are free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.