Duck Dynasty star canned for homophobic remarks

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Magical Realist, Dec 20, 2013.

1. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Personally, I do not expect, nor demand, any tolerance at all. I live in the real world.

That was a QUESTION that I was asking of Magical Realist.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Interesting. So you are against civil rights in general then?

I think Magical Realist has made his opinion quite clear on this site, so your question and the particular wording of your question is stupidly absurd. What do you hope to gain by asking something so distinctly stupid?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Bells, I stated that I did not "expect, nor demand tolerance".
    I have no idea how you twisted that to infer any position that I may or may not have on "civil rights in general".

Bells, Magical Realist "has made his opinion quite clear on this site"! He made it "quite clear" that he "fully expected and demanded" that his position on having "no choice" in his "sexuality", and also that his "sexuality" be respected.

Bells, how you find the question of "tit for tat" or "quid pro quo" or even simply "reaping what you sow", "stupidly absurd" is beyond me.

Bells, what I had "hope(d) to gain" by asking Magical Realist, what you believe to be "something so distinctly stupid", was insight on what he was willing to GIVE in return for what he EXPECTED and DEMANDED to GET!

Bells, you have made your own opinion(s) quite clear on this site, by your STATEMENTS! So what you find "stupidly absurd" or "so distinctly stupid" as to the validity of my QUESTIONS is of no importance to me.

Bells, I would find it "stupidly absurd"/"so distinctly stupid" that a person would "expect" or "demand" the utmost respect for their own views while, AT THE SAME TIME, refusing to respect the views of another.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

8. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

...acolytes...could've...but didn't...

9. Bells Staff Member

Do you understand what I mean by civil rights? Civil rights means that you do not discriminate against others because they are different. It means you accept them for who they are and do not treat them differently. As individuals, we expect to not be discriminated against. If you walk into a store, for example, you expect to not be asked to leave because of your race, colour, sexuality, sex, etc. And if you are refused to be served anywhere because of who you are and what you are, you would probably seek legal recourse because it is illegal to discriminate against others like that.

So perhaps, you should take some time to understand what it is you are even asking in this thread, because based on the following, it is clear you don't really have that much of a clue and instead you are typing my name and things in such a thing, over and over again, that it makes little to no sense.

I'll put it in small words.

Would you not mind at all if we refused to let you post on here for one reason or other, that was completely outside of your control and we refused to accept you for the way you were born? How about if society refused to accept you for how you were born and completely outside of your control?

Because the question you asked was stupid to begin with.

And yet, here you are expecting, nay, demanding, that I accept your question at face value and not view your comment and question as being stupid. In fact, you are getting upset and very defensive that I and others found your question and statement stupid and idiotic. If we were to apply your premise that you do not expect or demand tolerance for your question, then it is clear that we are free to tell you that we think your question is idiotic and Magical Realist and anyone else would be under no obligation to tolerate or even answer your stupid question.

10. Bells Staff Member

11. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

In my Post # 161, I stated :
    In point of fact, I am not upset, I am not defensive.

I believe that you are "free to tell'" me exactly what you think of my question, regardless of any "premise" you choose to apply!

You are exercising that freedom to tell me exactly what you think of my question, by your Posts.

And I am tolerating your views, by not "getting upset" and not "getting defensive" at all, about those views.

Now, may I ask question?

Do I honestly have any other choice?

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Bingo!!!

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

I don't have much tolerance for certain forms of sexuality. Pedophilia, for example. I expect people to keep that particular sort of sexuality in the closet - and if they don't, they should go to jail.

14. Bells Staff Member

Because the two can be compared..?

Paedophilia is a sexual orientation now?

Since when has it changed from being a psychiatric disorder?

Or are you adding this to the bestiality comparison just for good measure, especially with the "in the closer" comment, just to drive that point home?

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Bigotry isn't a nonchoice. If someone believes homosexuals are moral degenerates that is choice they make. I used to believe all sorts of things based on what I was raised to believe, but when I got older I learned more and chose to believe otherwise. People are morally accountable for what they choose to believe and their attitudes towards others. They are morally accountable for the things they can change. And homophobic bigots CAN change.

All the more reason to educate those whose morality is so shaped and enlighten them regardling tolerance.

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Well stated. I trust this will put to rest any further claims of reverse discrimination by those who won't tolerate bigotry. The thing the bigot defenders don't get is that we aren't imposing anything on bigots like bigots do to minority groups. We only seek to educate and enlighten them so that they don't hate people for their race, or sex, or ethnicity, or sexual orientation. We fight the war with knowledge and experience. When I hear people slander gay people I ask them how many gay people they know. Invariably not many. Familiarity opens us up to the common humanity in all of us.

17. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

There is an ironic twist to "Familiarity open(ing) us up to the common humanity in all of us", that is the old idiom : Familiarity breeds contempt.

from : http://www.spring.org.uk/2008/05/why-familiarity-really-does-breed.php

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Actually familiarity breeds acceptance and the tolerance of other people's lifestyle. If you have contempt for someone getting to know them lessens that contempt.

19. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

So...did you read or familiarize yourself with the article, before coming to the conclusion that : "Actually familiarity breeds acceptance and..."

20. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

'Fraid not. In my case, it leads to said contempt being magnified.

"Understanding " and "Tolerance" are a euphemism for whole generations of fat thinkers who have talked themselves out of leaving their own armchairs.

Fat thoughts I cannot abide. Fat populations of fat people whose only ambition is to make everyone else as fat as they are.
    Fat air one can't breathe.

"Mohammad" is the top baby name in Glasgow, Scotland, for 2013.
    In your readiness to accept that understanding is the key to everything, you're making your obese self obsolete.
    By the time you realise you need liposuction, it will be too late.

God, I wish I could have some vantage point after I die, from which I might observe your children drowning in your obesity.

21. brucep Valued Senior Member

You don't even know what pedophilia is. It's not sexuality. It's abusive behavior. Child abuse. Calling it sexuality and saying it's ok as long as nobody knows about it is asinine.

22. brucep Valued Senior Member

The worlds full of assholes. You're just one of the multitude.

23. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Don't lump me in with all those others.
    I'm an A-grade asshole.