Duck Dynasty star canned for homophobic remarks

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Magical Realist, Dec 20, 2013.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Wife-swappers.

Anyway, don't know how he can claim freedom of speech as a defense.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

I have only watched a few episodes, but A&E already backed down from telling these guys to exclude a dinner prayer from the end of every episode, because they threatened to take the show to another network. And these guys seem to be defending the freedom of speech, and will probably again see if the money they are making A&E is really worth the network taking a stand on this. Usually networks go where the money is.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

To be more specific, we will see if the money they are making A+E will make up for the money they will lose A+E. Most people don't like bigots and will often choose a show that has fewer of them.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. siledre Registered Senior Member

I have a feeling A&E will just end the show or the duck guys will cave in. there are too many people lately that think limiting how someone feels about a topic is the new way of things, now if you don't like something you're a bigot or a racist except if it's Christianity, not that it matters to me, I don't follow that particular order.

8. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

So, let me get this straight. A guy who compares beastiality to homosexuality makes his living helping people convince ducks that they want to have sex with them? Right.(well, he would know, wouldn't he?)

9. siledre Registered Senior Member

/sigh

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I don't recall anybody ever saying Christians morph into dogfuckers and deserve to be tortured in fire forever. Nope..just doesn't ring a bell at all.

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

Uh - no. If he had said "I'm not gay, so I just don't like the idea of homosexuality" then this never would have happened.

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Sex with contraception isn't self-sustaining either. Seems to be the number 1 preferred method of having sex though. How did that happen?

14. siledre Registered Senior Member

the question he was asked is what he considers a sin, just because his list had homosexuality and beastiality next to each other doesn't mean he was calling them the same thing.

15. siledre Registered Senior Member

I don't recall that being said to anyone, maybe you could cite a source for that tidbit of information.

16. Bells Staff Member

His views on African American were just as offensive:

I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.

I am of two minds about this ignorant buffoon. Banning him from the show is not going to change anything. What this controversy has done, and this is plastered everywhere in the news, is just drum up more viewers for his show, in the hope that they discuss it.

Are we getting to the point where people are unable to voice their opinions, even those steeped in hatred without being banned by the media while the media profits from the controversy?

A simpler option would simply be to stop watching the show and stop buying their products. This controversy has only drummed up more publicity for this buffoon and his family and their show and franchise. It has become a right versus left debate.

Certainly, exposing him for his bigotry is a good thing, but banning buffoons like this fellow will only drive them underground, and give them the 'they are after our rights' arguments that many of these retards rely on. Free speech does involve not always liking or agreeing with what you hear. But most importantly, free speech involves the freedom to express one's views, no matter how moronic they are. Will they lose viewers? Perhaps. But they will gain more the more attention is given to him and his ban from the show. Instead of giving this moron more attention, it would have been better to ignore him and his family show and business, because at the moment, this has reached even the halls of politics, with the us vs them joining the fray.

As noxious and obscene his views may be, he is free to express them and we should never become a society where we ban speech because it is obscene. The best way is to try to educate the viewers who may hold the same views with rational discussion and explaining why his beliefs are wrong.

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

Like I said, if he had just said "I think homosexuality is a sin" none of this would have happened. However, since he decided to use his right to free speech to express his bigotry, other people are using their right to free speech to decide they don't want to associate with him.

Do you think people should be banned from freely expressing their opinion of him?

18. siledre Registered Senior Member

not at all, as long as they aren't putting words in his mouth and only judging him by what he said in context with the question that was asked.

19. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Most people who do not share their values are probably already not watching the show, so in terms of viewers, they only stand to gain those that share their values who did not previously watch. Only people who disagree with their values will think of them as bigots. For the most part, there is no such thing as bad publicity, especially when it is free, like news coverage.

And if A&E drops them, I bet CMT would pick them up.

20. Bells Staff Member

Sadly, no one had to put words in his mouth.

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I am going to defend Phil just because.

1. If you watch the show or not it doesn't matter. Lots of people do. In fact this is the most watched cable show EVER, with 12 million viewers per episodes. But again, it is irrelevant to the discussion, only to the business side.

2. Duck Dynasty is a 400 million franchise, but again, it is irrelevant to the moralising, only to the business side. Walmart is full of DD products, and the family was already millionaires before the show started.

3. They already got offers from other networks, who would gladly take the show and the money with it, btu again this is still irrelevant to the ethics issue. The next season was also already made, so banning Phil is kind of hard to do unless editing him out.

4. Now what is important that most of the viewers probably hold the same ethics and viewpoints on homosexuality just like Phil. So trying to be PC for A&E while pissing off the viewers isn't good PR.

5. Phil or anyone can have any opinion whatever they want and they are free to express it. Also, why is it surprising that he has such an opinion, when all his life he had the same approach to life?

6. Networks shouldn't try to play PC games until their viewership or advertisers turns on them. Since this obviously hasn't happened, they are shooting themselves in the foot and going to lose lots of money and their biggest moneymaker.

So bottomline. Their action was too early. There was no backlash after the comments, so they should have just let it go. It should be a business decision, not a moral one.

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

By the way they are smart businessmen and they just downplay to their viewership. Here is how they looked a few years ago:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If you don't like them, vote with your remote control and don't watch the show....

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Aha!
    Now they suit the wives.
    It also explains why they have no tattoos.

The Biker/Hunting gear is a like a costume they put on.
    No wonder I got nowhere trying to work them out.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013