'Dubai hit squad stole my identity': British man's name used by assassins who execute

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Brian Foley, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

I wonder who would blame all Jews based on that logic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

People like you but not jewish

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Was there another country involved in the theft of people's identity in this assassination?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

At present, we do not know which - if any - countries were involved in that.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Barak and Olmert: Extremist, or ignorant? It's your standard.

Not directly. They are, however, using the word, invoking South Africa, and creeping rhetorically toward the obvious. And for a while, in one case.

Israel's prime minister issued a rare warning yesterday that his nation risked being compared to apartheid-era South Africa if it failed to agree an independent state for the Palestinians. In an interview with the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz, Ehud Olmert said Israel was "finished" if it forced the Palestinians into a struggle for equal rights.

If the two-state solution collapsed, he said, Israel would "face a South African-style struggle for equal voting rights, and as soon as that happens, the state of Israel is finished". Israel's supporters abroad would quickly turn against such a state, he said ....

.... Israel has a 20% Arab minority who are citizens and can vote, although they are frequently discriminated against and are described by some as a "demographic threat". Within a few years the number of Arabs in Israel and the Palestinian territories is expected to equal, and then exceed, the number of Jews in Israel and the settlements. Some Palestinians argue that they should campaign for a so-called one-state solution: equal voting and citizenship rights within a larger country that includes Israel and the occupied territories and in which Palestinians will soon have a majority.

It is not the first time that Olmert has risked the South African comparison. Four years ago, in another interview with Ha'aretz, he gave a similar warning. But that was a time when, as deputy to the then prime minister Ariel Sharon, he argued that Israel should unilaterally draw up a border with the Palestinians, withdrawing from Gaza and holding on to the major Jewish settlement blocs in the West Bank ....

.... Israeli historian Tom Segev wrote in yesterday's Ha'aretz: "It is not easy to understand why so many Israelis still believe that a large Israel without peace is better than a small Israel with peace." Israel had most to lose, he said. "With every settler who moves to the territories and with every Palestinian child who is killed by Israel Defence Forces fire, Israel loses some of the moral justification that led to the decision on the November 29 60 years ago. The Palestinians have already lost almost everything they had."

Gerald Steinberg, chairman of the political science department at Israel's Bar-Ilan University, said Olmert's comments reflected a long-held belief. "The logic is precisely the same as the logic pursued by all Israeli governments since 1967: the realisation that you can't have a Jewish, democratic state and still control the lives of millions of Palestinians," he said.

(McCarthy)

Olmert has been warning of apartheid at least since 2003. Barak raised the issue last month:

Israel's defense minister warned Tuesday that if Israel does not achieve a peace deal with the Palestinians, it will be either a binational state or an undemocratic apartheid state.

Defense Minister Ehud Barak's comments came in an address to a security conference north of Tel Aviv.

Israeli leaders rarely use the term "apartheid" in connection to the Palestinians. The term, however, has been used by Israel's harshest critics to accuse it of using apartheid tactics against the Palestinians.

"The simple truth is, if there is one state" including Israel, the West Bank and Gaza, "it will have to be either binational or undemocratic. ... if this bloc of millions of Palestinians cannot vote, that will be an apartheid state."

(Lavie)

Two former Israeli Prime Ministers can face up to the prospects their nation's policies have created. There are not many ways around it at this point, and what options there are do not seem palatable. Israel is fast approaching a point at which the only real question is crow or venom.

So, are Barak and Olmert extremist, or simply ignorant? It's your standard, after all.

Notes:

McCarthy, Rory. "Israel risks apartheid-like struggle if two-state solution fails, says Olmert". The Guardian. November 30, 2007. Guardian.co.uk. March 5, 2010. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/nov/30/israel

Lavie, Mark. "Barak: Peace with Palestinians or apartheid". Associated Press. February 2, 2010. brietbart.com. March 5, 2010. http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9DK82A00

9. otheadp Banned Banned

I agree with both of them almost entirely. That 3-4 decades down the road there might be a hypothetical situation where there might be an undemocratic reality. My standard refers to those who refer to Israel of today as having apartheid policies. That is very extremist and detached from reality, and ignorant. Or cynical abuse of the term used by anti-Zionist extremists for whom Israel's treatment of its Arab citizens is irrelevant, because they aren't willing to accept an independent Israel in principle, which is why when you show them many many different examples of equality in Israel they just brush it off.

http://www.jpost.com/Home/Article.aspx?id=170346

10. Bells Staff Member

The Israeli Government's laws are bringing those 3-4 decades closer than you actually think. While the apartheid regime in South Africa was somewhat different to what we are seeing in Israel today due to its historical context, the similarities are becoming frightening enough that a comparison can be legitimately made.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't think its all that similar. Was there ever an Operation Cast Lead [Summer Rains, Autumn Clouds, Moonlight Sonata] against the bantustans? Was food, fuel, water or medical service ever blocked so that people were receiving 9 trucks in 14 days rather than 500 a day? Were blue babies born in the bantustans from chemical poisoning?

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Seems like a perfectly ordinary description of an obvious situation, to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_of_apartheid

In comparison with, say, South Africa, the principal and critical difference seems to be the lack of a defined territory or homeland for the oppressed group - unlike S Africa, Israel has been unwilling to draw boundaries mutually defining both itself and some kind of Palestinian bantustan. Unlike S Africa, Israel continues to expand and encroach.

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Sort of disingenuous. They already can vote.

14. Bells Staff Member

Depends on where they live.

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

You're quite right; I apologize and retract as it applies to the West Bank specifically.

16. Bells Staff Member

Ahem..

Which is interesting in and of itself. They are governed by Israeli policy and laws, but are not allowed to vote in Israeli elections because they are not Israeli citizens and thus, for some of these people, they are only allowed to elect members of the PNA.. Interesting, no?

After all, if you are living in an area that is governed by a particular government, you would expect to be given the right to elect members of that particular government, wouldn't you?

But here is something even more interesting:

But here is what is really disturbing:

Interesting, wouldn't you say? And also quite disturbing. Why designate who is a Jew and who is not a Jew? It is akin to what Hitler did to the Jews when he forced them to wear the Star of David to identify them before he attempted to eradicate them entirely from the planet. What is the reasoning behind the ID cards? By hiding behind the "national security", they have been allowed to wilfully discriminate against a whole populace and enact rules that were glaringly similar to what the West revolted against in South Africa.

How is this allowed to continue? Why should it be? Would the whites of South Africa have been given the same leeway by stating "national security" in treating blacks the way that the Jews treat non-Jewish Arabs?

Put another way, I am curious to ask those who support Israel in this.. Did you also support South Africa in the same way in the past?

17. otheadp Banned Banned

This is the craziest and most extreme post I've ever seen you post.

18. Bells Staff Member

So you deny it all Oth?

How is the truth and reality extreme?

There have been countless studies on what is happening in Israel, by leading institutions around the world and the definitive answer is uncomfortably clear.

Are you aware of what went on in South Africa during its apartheid regime? Are you aware that the movements of blacks were restricted in a similar fashion that the movements of Palestinians is restricted by Palestinians? Are you aware that ID cards were also used to determine one's racial ancestry? Are you aware that blacks were also denied the right to a political voice in South Africa? Are you aware that the land the blacks were supposedly allowed to have were also routinely taken from them and the blacks expelled in a much similar fashion as Israelis have done and continue to do so with the Palestinians? Are you aware that the South African apartheid regime also limited the education of blacks in a similar way that the Israeli Government is limiting the education of Arab children living in Israel? Are you aware that a white South African was not allowed to marry a black or coloured South African in South Africa, in the same way that a Jew is not allowed to marry a non-Jew in Israel? Shall I go on?

I would suggest you actually read up on what apartheid actually is and then look at what is happening in Israel. The comparison is terrifyingly obvious. So much so that experts, Jews and non-Jews alike have been able to draw such a comparison.

So why do you think it is extreme?

Do you support the actions of the Israeli Government in its treatment of non-Jewish Arabs in Israel? If yes, do you also support the same type of treatment of the apartheid regime in South Africa against the blacks?

Does it make you uncomfortable? It makes me uncomfortable that in this day and age that we can allow such treatment of a people to continue.. that we actually swallow the 'national security' line fed to us and accept it without a blink of an eye.

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

:shrug: Mea culpa. That's almost four times I've been wrong so far. Sheesh.

No. But I support Israel's right to exist, and I'm well aware of what the consequences of a one-state (Final) solution would be.

20. Bells Staff Member

I too support Israel's right to exist. Too much has been done in the past to now say it cannot exist.

But should it exist in its present form? Should it be allowed to exist as it is currently and continue on its present course?

We are already seeing the fairly obvious signs of where it is headed. Frankly, it is part-way there already. There are many who scoff at the comparisons because well, in South Africa blacks were deemed non-human, described by many as animals simply because of their colour. If you look past the racism and the racist ideology that governed white South Africans, if you look at the policies, the reality is quite frightening because we are seeing a repeat of it again. Yet we refused to accept one and excuse the other. Why?

I would recommend their book to be honest. It is a very interesting study.

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

On the (seeming, anyway) present course? No. The settlements need to come down, the progression to stop.

22. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

What right to exist its a completely bull shit thing. The sole reason its pushed is to give legitimacy to the crimes used to create the state. No country has a right to exist. nations have a right to exist and a country can only legitimately through self determination(defined as the people of a territory choosing their own political status). Not to mention the reaffirmed principles of the Montevideo convention prohibits the gaining of sovereignty through force.

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

bells it seems to me you don't recognize its "right" to exist but merely feel they have gotten away with too many crimes to undo them all. also what would be wrong with recognizing the the country has no basic right to keep on going? While I recognize that i does exist and that the will to get rid of it through force will never be but that doesn't mean we should act as if existence is a moral thing. They(Israeli government) will keep stealing land so long as people validate what they have done through recognizing its "right"to exist. By recognizing that it has no "right" to exist and acknowledging that the creation was based on crimes we can force them to the negotiating table and actually deal with their victims in an honest manner. Maybe even getting an actual concession out of them though I doubt that will ever happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.