Driving Atmospheric reactions on Venus

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by gkooistra, Jun 27, 1999.

1. gkooistra Registered Member

1. Is the Venutian atmosphere in a state of equilibrium?
    2. Would increased heating of the atmosphere split CO2, increase photodisassociation effects, and ultimately lower atmospheric tempuratures and pressures?
    3. What of bombarding Venus with comets, speculate on the resulting effects.

Thankyou for response to any of these Q's

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

I'm not a planetary scientist, so take my words with a grain of salt (a BIG grain

)

Venus is much closer to the Sun than Earth. As intensity of radiation falls off with square of distance, I'd imagine Venus gets a great deal bigger radiation wallup than Earth does. I remember reading somewhere that Venus lost all its atmospheric water through solar radiation -- the water vapor was literally blown away! The only thing keeping Venus' atmosphere thick (despite solar pummelling) is probably the intense volcanic activity.

Heating the atmosphere further will eventually break up complex molecules, I imagine. But, you are probably planning to eventually let the atmosphere cool down! In which case, present conditions would inevitably return.

My guess is that you are contemplating terraforming Venus for human colonization. In my opinion, the outlook is bleak indeed... But don't let the skeptics stop you! World is full of impossible achievements

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.