Drivers see sex attack in street but fail to stop

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by lucifers angel, Feb 13, 2008.

?

Would you stop, and help?

Poll closed Feb 23, 2008.
  1. Yes

91.7%
  2. No

4.2%
  3. Who cares? Its not my problem

4.2%
  1. Letticia Registered Senior Member

The fact it was a public place may have been a factor. Everyone thought: "Someone else will take care of it." I suspect at least some of these motorists would have intervened if they knew there was no one else to help.

Or maybe they all are just selfish cowards.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Personally I would not get out of my car and jump right in there and try to stop it . I would stop and try to get help, or call the police. I am with draqon I wouldn't risk my own life, for a stranger.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I' d call the police also today and stay around and observe what happens until the police arrive.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Where the hell was this? One guy??? What was he 8ft tall?

Anyway, in Canada you really have to be careful. There is NO taking the law into your own hands in Canada, you can get in a LOT of shit.

Having said that, I would run down the guy(assuming she's on the bottom

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

), kick the shit out of him while he's down, then drive off - screw making a statement to police what a hassle.

8. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I thought women wanted to be able to look after themselves yet here you are saying if they can't it's down to a man to bail them out. Why do so many things bring out the sexist comments?

How about a man might have the same reason a woman wouldn't stop? Or perhaps the opposite reason - because he's so big and strong he might hurt the guy trying to break it up(or the guy might fake it) and then get sued like cosmic. I'm sure some women might be that tough too so how about we try applying these situations more generally than being gender based; such as a good reason for nobody to stop being that people sometimes stage these events as a con to get you to leave your vehicle and then they steal it?

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well, in my corner of the world, women are smaller than men. I can understand why they wouldn't stop. I didn't realize I would have to say 'and I realize why a small feminine man wouldn't stop'
    Or is that sexist too?

And just because women want to look after themselves, doesn't mean they always can. Men want to look after themselves, but just as many of them get attacked. Should people drive by and not help men as well?

10. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Well you're the one who made the gender based statement clearly implying men should stop purely because they're men, you didn't mention anything else. I think you should be more careful.

Suggest you read the rest of my post, I also repeat you're the one who said only men should help.

Edit: It's also just dawned on me that yes, what you said in your second post was sexist - 'and I realize why a small feminine man wouldn't stop'
    Or is that sexist too?

That's sexist against women, you're equating feminine with weakness, I thought in these days of equality words like that were supposed to simply mean female and not be in conjunction with the word meaning weak? All hell seems to break loose these days when you call women weak on the basis of gender.
    I think you choose your words very poorly.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yep

oh, not 'yep, I coose my words poorly.'
    But yep. That's what I think. You can think its sexist all you want.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  12. Kadark Banned Banned

What a bunch of lily-livered, four-lip cowards. How can somebody witness a sex attack targetting a helpless woman, and flee the scene with their tail between their legs? Some guy was stabbed a few streets away from my house, and the person who did the stabbing ran off. The man sat there bleeding, pleading for help, yet everybody ignored him, far too worried about themselves. He was pronounced dead when the police arrived. I wish I was there when this sex attack was happening. Any able-bodied man who avoids helping a person in danger because of a fear for their own well-being deserves a lifetime of destitute. For God's sake, at least call the police.

13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Most people don't know how to confront a criminal without increasing the risk to themselves, the victim, or other people around. They know this and don't act out of self preservation. A small minority of people might have tools (guns, martial arts training, etc.) and will go overboard in a confrontation and end up breaking the law themselves.

In my opinion, the best thing for a civilian to do is call the police and volunteer as a witness after an arrest is made. If you have tools and / or training of superior force and know how to use that to force someone into submission then a citizens arrest is a decent way to go... but you still have to call the police.

14. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Person Kadark, the word you're looking for in both cases is person.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

With the number of guns floating around, who wants to take a chance?

16. Kadark Banned Banned

You're right, I should have said person.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

As fast as some people drive by listening to the radio and watching traffic, I bet not all of them even saw it. If they all slowed down to rubber-neck, well.....

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

How about a CAR. it was the middle of the road??

Anyway it's hard to rape someone with a 95' jeep cherokee steamrollin your ankles.

19. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Another good reason a person may not intervene, driving past you won't see a great deal of what's going on, a flash of a few seconds maybe, especially if you're watching the road(were they really in the middle of it? Surely that would block traffic so someone HAD to stop?); could just look as though it's a couple people messing around. Seeing as none of us saw it and know all the exact details I don't think any of us can say too much against those who drove past.:shrug:

20. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

nietzschefan,

What if you miss and hurt / kill the wrong one? What if you hit the intended target and are sued by both that person and prosecuted by the state for breaking the law? What if you completely miss and the aggressor pulls out a gun and starts a shooting spree?

21. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Guess i'm a confident driver...anyway I already said I would do a hit an run - "helping".

I'm not sticking around - because I KNOW in Canada I am breaking the law for helping at all, at least in commiting to a violent solution(the only one if you really want to help IMO).

22. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I am going to start calling you MAD MAX lol

23. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Sounds like a 'good deed' just waiting to be punished

. I don't know why but this comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhsE6qdQr1g