Dragon's Underground Bunker - Purchase or Build Your Own?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by darksidZz, Feb 13, 2007.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Recently dragon has brought to all our attentions the importance of owning an underground facility for protection. If ever there were a World War 3 this bunker would need to be concealed, easily accessable to you, and contain needed supplies for survival. The questions surrounding such a place are numerous.

1. How do you find the location?

2. Do you contract it's construction or build it yourself?

3. What sort of supplies would be needed for such a thing?

4. Would it only have room for you or could someone else come along?

5. What would prevent others from taking it over?

Those are some of the various concerns I have with dragons idea. The main concept to realize is SURVIVAL. Here is a link to one proposed design:

http://www.alpinesurvival.com/nuclear_bomb_shelters.html

This is a possible link for information on high risk areas.

http://www.earthmountainview.com/shelters.html

So tell us what to do? If we don't have alot of money are we out of luck in the new world?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

conceal the location.
    build it yourself.
    you need a shovel
    cement
    and steel wall segments
    Also have a metalcasting equipment

Make sure that this facility is built somewhere in the mountain area...with lots of rocks underground.
    Make sure that the facility is camouflaged.
    Also make sure it is big enough for you to remain at least a year.

Have ventilation shafts that take in and out the air and possibly water that absorbs the radiation better, make sure the ventilation shafts are very long and are ending in high area.
    Make sure to have supply area...with tons of water...and canned food...and vitamin supplies/pills.
    Make sure to have some sort of bed and electricity generated by your own mechanical movement (this you have to build yourself) spin the wheels and the electricity is stored to produce light and power everything else.

Make sure to have a bathroom with some sort of release system to the outside...without exposing yourself to the radiation.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'd build my from rocks, earth and wood in an area remote enough that nobody would care to waste a nuke on.
    That way I don't have to bother myself with chemical purification units, airtight doors, excess expenses and attention, etc.
    Probably would build it with some of my friends.

Alas I don't see a nuclear war coming in my area for any forseeable future, so I won't bother building one.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Antarctica. No rainfall, which is the biggest spreader of radiation and weaponised germs and chemicals, yet a lot of fresh water in the ice. Also remote. Ice is also a good insulator and protector.

8. draqon Banned Banned

You underestimate the power of nuclear cloud drift. One small Chernobyl and half of Ukraine is cancerogenic, as well as Russia's west, as well as Belarus south.

9. draqon Banned Banned

UV radiation painstakingly high, exposure to radiation...cancer...death.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If things are so bad I have to hide in the ground, forget it. I'll find a warehouse and throw a big party.

11. draqon Banned Banned

party for one day...and than comes pain for weeks.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Not really, you just kill yourself after that.
    preferably with some really trippy drugs.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yes, I do.

14. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Don't be naive. Who would be exposing their bare skin or eyes in Antarctica after World War III in the first place?

15. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

My Uncle Alec's shed. It's not, in the strictest technical sense, underground - it's in his back yard - and nor is it fully (or even partly) radiation-proof. However, the lock on the door is thick enough to deter even my Auntie June (a big, angry bear of a woman).

God, I'm bored.

16. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Dragon, I thought space was the only place you thought of as a viable refuge?

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Any way, why all this talk of burrowing in the sand (or space)?
    Everything's fine.

18. draqon Banned Banned

it is, if I get to escape there before this war starts. I at least thought I had a chance, become an astronaut and escape to Mars...but now I can actually sense this war close by.

19. draqon Banned Banned

If USA will attack Iran, Russia might be involved and if USA will use nukes...we all will use nukes. And if nukes explode...the entire planet will be covered with radiation, clouds of radioactive air sweeping by the houses, evaporating people, their lifes...their dreams. I still got a dream, I want to leave this planet before my dream is gone.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Nobody's (perhaps except Iran) that stupid and Iran is not worth that.

21. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

I worry that... in the event of a nuclear war, Canada will suffer it's aftermath by Americans moving north.

22. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

OK, to survive a nuclear attack is definately possible and does not require living underground for a year. First, for a dirty bomb:
    Now for a real nuke:
    This is all from: http://www.ki4u.com/guide.htm
    It has a lot of information, but the take home message is that, unless you're at ground zero, a nuke is survivable. Staying in even an impromto shelter for even a few days can mean the difference between life and death.

23. draqon Banned Banned

PeoPle read the "Hiroshima".