Dr Watson's views on race seem very sensible.

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Lord Hillyer, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

That was 20 years ago. I don't understand your question. Rephrase it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You do know that error bars go both ways right? The variance is too high for the error bars to not overlap.

edit: the scatter was comparing data from different time points and the Asians data from two different locations. I'm unsure about the validity, so I removed it. But a cursory look at the distribution under the curve shows the large variance of the IQ by race.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It means that you cannot compare two means when the range of lowest and highest values (or the standard error bars) of both means overlap.

There is no significance of two overlapping group variances

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

You can if you want to. If you don't or won't it just means you don't want to admit that whites are smarter than blacks. By your logic, men aren't taller than women, there isn't enough evidence. If you want to believe and spout off such nonsense go ahead.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why don't you look up Statistics 101 and get back to me on this?:shrug:

I'm SE Asian, a woman and obviously smarter than you. I'm covered (upto Stats 514).

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  9. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

Are men taller than women? What is your expert opinion?

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Frankly at 5'4" I have met many men I look down upon.

11. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

Are men taller than women? Yes or no?

Where did you get your degree? A vending machine?

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

On average yes, but the variance is high within the group. If it were all African women and all Chinese men, you'd find some tall Chinese men and some short African women.

13. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

Well holy fuck a straight answer. It is like pulling teeth with you.

Still didn't change the fact that men are on average taller did it genius?

I thought all the races were the same so what difference would it make? Just different skin colors.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You don't read very well either, do you?

State school?

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Midgets?

16. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

Her stunted countrymen.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hispanics, mostly. Short buggers.

18. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

Perhaps if you didn't write nonsense people would have a clue what the hell you are talking about.

The point of writing is too communicate and be understood. Not to show off how many fancy words and concepts you know and confuse people.

You might have known this if you didn't get your diploma from a vending machine.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Apparently where you come from, vending machines are the only ones that use fancy words and concepts? :roflmao:

20. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I wasn't aware that they had any sexual preferences at all, to be honest...

Uh... it's pretty easy to see that the error bars don't overlap on that plot. You're not making any sense here.

Moreover, the issue is not whether any particular choice of error bars overlap, but the significance level at which you reject the null hypothesis of "there is no race factor in IQ scores." In other words, you can always shrink your level of confidence until the error bars don't overlap; the question is how much confidence you have left at that point. Very high levels of confidence are required to justify prejudice (i.e., to be able to say with any accuracy what a given person's IQ will be based solely on race), and that is certainly lacking here. However, an entire standard deviation is still pretty troubling: if you take a random sample of 100 Americans, you'll start out with 13 black people. If you then select out the 50 with highest IQs, you only end up with 2 black people (instead of the 6 you'd expect if there were no significant difference). Hence our problems with educational attainment, income disparity, etc.

Yes, exactly. If the race factor was negligible, you'd see expect a very small variance of IQ over race. The crucial thing is not that there is no race factor, but that it has no *genetic* component.

I politely suggest you not argue statistics with me unless you're prepared to spend some serious time considering your replies.

21. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Really? I'm 6 feet tall, my son is 6 feet 3 inches (so far). Are you sure you're not thinking about India?

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Must have some white or Arab mixed in there, I bet.

You have a big penis? Did you know there is an inverse relationship between penis size and IQ?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you see no overlap in the error bars, I'm not going to bother arguing statistics with you at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.