Doom III is out (Finally!)

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by ElectricFetus, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

yes, it is

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Does it revive the original doom feeling?

Surreal environments and surreal monsters?

I'm a bit worried if I read that everything looks so realistic. Doom was never about that. Doom was a trip into hell. A trip into weirdness on a surreal scale.

I've never had the doom feeling again btw with any of the FPS that came after. halflife was good, but there was something special about doom, playing it in the darkl late at night. Going through hell, blowing up everything, getting in the flow of blowing up everything. It became a rythm, a sort of surreal trance.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Oh man its almost here!, the anticipation is to much!!!
    http://www.fedex.com/cgi-bin/tracking?action=track&tracknumbers=687482720331
    yes spuriousmonkey the mindless kill aspect of Doom was one of a kind! The simple run-push-button puzzles and the turning around and finding a demon in your face aspect. I don’t think I will care if its has no plot like HL, RTCW and Halo did, as long as I can spend hours on end mindlessly killing things!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antisipatience waiting for something Registered Senior Member

haha obviously never played the Doom / Quake games

YES. Play it on Hard, Lights off and Sound UP.

Doom III rocks

8. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Must... Get... DooM III, but PC is dismantled - won't be ready 'til september!

I've played so much doom II in my life I couldn't even think how long it would be cumulatively. Certainly 4 days a week for three years when it came out (multiplayer, map making, exe modding... all breathe new life into the old dog). Me and my mate caned each other for ages...

9. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

I loved that game, just wish there was a continuation though.

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I got it!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Installing it now... fucking 2.2GB though, thank god I got a raid 1 160GB drive.

11. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

RAID 1? Is that not a mirrorred array?

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

yes it is, why do you ask?

13. antisipatience waiting for something Registered Senior Member

dude, u think 2 gb is alot. try Everquest or FF XI, 11 Gigs !!!

i cant beat the last (i think its the last) boss on Doom III, so i said fuck it and i started the entire game over on the Harder setting.

This game is awesome, and the Modding community is going to have a FUCKING BLAST with this Physics engine and game code.

they just had a meeting yesterday at quakecon in texas to discuss whats in store for the D3 modders and when they can expect the games SDK (game code, physics code, etc) to be released. they said sometime next week is the projected date.

they also talked about patches;

http://forum.zonabi.com/viewtopic.php?t=628

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

My computer is performing very well! I have it on medium quiltiy textures, 1024x768, and even a little AA, and Vsync, Its pretty smooth movement.

I think the shadowing engine and very high quality textures are to die for, good physic to, but it still has flaws: they still don't have realistic clipping and characters and objects can sometimes go through each other. Also is does not have very accurate damage spotting and you can shot at a character in one place and damage will appear in other. It would also be nice if there was geomoding.

15. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Yeah.....also it makes a bad martini and is a crummy lover (no snuggling...)

16. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Still getting over my nightmares from Final DooM...

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You mean it sucked? (that's what I thought at least)

Actually the whole windoom sucked because somehow it didn't play so well as the dos doom. I don't know why, but the controls were just off.

18. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Doom III is out... as in... in stores?

I wonder if it's available near me. I usually shy away from first person shooters, but I liked Doom I.

I have nothing else to do, so I think I'll go check the stores.

19. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

I heard rumours that there's a co-op campaign? I'd buy it just for that. Otherwise I'll stick to Flashpoint for now.

20. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

I already beat Doom III... The ending is less than impressive... I suggest playing it on greater than Normal level otherwise you will be bored... The gameplay is awesome, and I love the storyline and the fact that you actually have to follow emails and voice messages on your PDA to learn the storyline and find secrets and whatnot.

There's a few things that bugged me in particular (and a few things I REALLY liked), but I wont go into them because I dont want to spoil anything for anyone...

Later
    T

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

On this sailboat trip (more like landlocked trip) I bought the old doom collectors edition for $10, all the old dooms to play on my mother's crapy computer, aaah this brings back memories, things realy have changes since then.

22. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

hey look up the cheats. supposedly you can play the first doom in doom III.

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

For all of you using ATI video cards, there is a thread at www.beyond3d.com forums that might increase your frame rate. The thread is like 50 plus pages and I'm only currently working through the second page. However, the latest installment of this user patch is included in the opening post of the thread. Download it and extract the contents to your base folder. Some people are getting quite good results with it. Give it a shot and let me know how it works. I downloaded a version of it late last night (from demonoid.com) and only messed with it for a few minutes. Not enough to get a feel if there was any real improvement or not. I'll play with it some later and see what I can figure out. After going through this thread a bit. It's possible that the file that I downloaded was not the latest version, in the description for the file it mentions a 17 page thread. That was 30+ pages ago. So...

Try it out.

Edit: Heh. Dumbass. Might be a good idea to include the link, huh? Here it is.

Edit again: Goddamnit. I originally linked to the second page of the thread. Fixed now.