donner party

Discussion in 'History' started by birch, Oct 20, 2010.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

it seems such a shame that there was food there. do you think they were responsible for their demise?

they only tried two or three times.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They might have not used the right technique or equipment, and it's true that starving will affect your ability to carry out survival strategies.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Humans probably taste better than trout. End of story...

I mean seriously, somebody was actually bitching about the luck of fishing ability???

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

They didnt have fishing line either. Imagine catching a fish with a string and a home made hook.

8. M00se1989 Banned Banned

Make a net before the ice freezes... or bring a stick like "Without A Paddle".

9. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Yeah, they didn't have any fishfinding sonar either.:bugeye:

10. birch Valued Senior Member

It seems they died of a combination of food prejudice and stupidity. i just saw a film come on tv about this usual story and how they starved so i looked it up. it never mentions what some or most probably wondered which is did they really 'have' to starve? we know that there are circumstances where there is absolutely no resource but this doesn't seem the case. not only were they next to a lake teeming with fish but in a forest, with a cabin, fire/firewood and guns. it doesn't seem they really tried to be creative by considering everything around them. this cognitive dissonance had some part in killing them or causing them more suffering.

http://rewild.info/anthropik/2005/10/why-people-starve/index.html

11. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Yes- don't stray from the main road.