Donate your body

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Syzygys, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You know, I was never aware of the distinction. I mean if I let them take my heart, why wouldn't I let them take my leg?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I only signed over to allow my organs and tissue to be used in transplants that's it.

Are you ok with knowing this is where your body may end up? Are there any of the following you would not want your body used for?

Bodies may be split up, with the head sent to students learning brain surgery or nose jobs while the legs are packed off to students learning knee surgery.

Researchers in criminal forensics expose cadavers to various environments and observe how they rot.

Cadaver research in automobile crash tests contributed to the development and testing of such devices as lap-shoulder belts, air bags, dashboard padding, and safer windshields. Most current crash-testing uses dummies, but some experts question whether the dummies accurately reproduce the damage done to a real human head, for instance.

Corpses are used to test military equipment such as body armor. Testing footwear designed to protect against land mines has been controversial--apparently some people are offended that a body donated to science would be blown up rather than patiently sliced into tiny pieces.

Medical-instrument firms find corpses helpful for instructing doctors in the use of new devices or procedures; the training process involves learning from mistakes, which works out better when the subject is already dead. Artificial joints are often tested on cadavers; meanwhile, pharmaceutical companies pick up the odd gland for hormone extraction.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Well, no... if you're dead, you can't object, can you??
    But I know what you mean. The only caveat I'd place on the use of my remains is that a fee be charged for their use in commercial enterprise, and that royalties be paid if they are used in research that later generates income.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I changed my wording

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually if i wasnt going to donate my organs i would love to be put in a block of jelly and sliced apart so that people could see all my insides

i saw this at an anatomy expo and it looked cool

9. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that! I think I do significant re-wording edits on about half my posts, and probably 90% of the more substantial ones.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Almost any use of my body is better than rottening 6 feet under....

Aren't we promoting recycling???

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Almost? What are you against?

I'll be dead so I don't care a bit what happens to my body EXCEPT that it not be buried. A shameful expensive waste

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, If the Necrophil Society wants my body, I might have to object. I know, sexy in life, sexy in death, but still...

Also I don't want to end up in a Body Farm...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Farm

I also wouldn't want to be a Halloween decoration, because I hate Halloween...

13. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Why?

14. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

SWEET !

BLAMMO !

:xctd:

15. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Yeah! Of course, you'd want the video to be played at your funeral, right?

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Funny when I read that one, you came to mind lol.

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Because a drunk redneck might stumble upon me saying: him, what a nice ass....

18. arroncox1991 Registered Member

The upside of donating your body.

I believe that donating your body isn't bad at all. I mean what is your dead body going to do anyway?

19. Nathan Registered Senior Member

I want to be buried in the earth with no chemicals/preservatives. I want my body to decompose into the earth and continue the circle of life. We all come from the earth and should die into it as to help make up other life. Life after death if you will.

20. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I am not sure what should be done to my body when I die. I know for sure I want nothing expensive, nothing that would burden anyone unnecessarily. I want whatever is easiest, but I wonder whether donating my body would be worth it. I want whatever happens to my body to be up to someone else, so I guess I'll recommend it to them.

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I tried to but they only laughed...very loudly...very long...:bawl::shrug:

22. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I want to be fed to some Alsatians,

Like Bridget Jones

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I want to be dropped in the forest. Fat chance that's going to happen..