Donate your body

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Syzygys, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

MorTality, my man, morTality...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

By the way, what is the problem with proving a point? I wished him that he could find out on his own how important is to have OTHERS donating their bodies...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

When I recently went to get my new health card because some asshole stole my wallet (no I won't get into that again)

They asked me if I wanted to donate my tissue and organs if I die. I said sure why not. So I have this little card in my wallet now. It asked if you wanted to donate it purely for transplant situations only or for medical research. I ticked off for transplants only.

Now I was wondering because I remember a discussion a while back with some ppl. They said they thought that if they knew you were donating your organs after you died that they wouldn't wouldn't try as hard to keep you alive? :shrug:

I said come on really? What do you think, that whole idea is nuts or do you think there is some truth to it? :shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Dude...when they cremate me...everyone within a mile radius is going to get high.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Nah, that's just a bullshit story that's morbid enough to be entertaining... which is why people repeat it as if it's true. Like the creepy stories about kidney thieves, snakes in ball pits, hook-hand, razors on the waterslide, needles in coin-return slots, and so on. Fun to retell, regardless of their lack of substance.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Its why my husband won't donate. I think his Mom told him that and he believed it.

I promised I wouldn't donate his organs. If it saves someones life though, I'm gonna anyways.
    If he didn't want to because of religious reasons, I wouldn't. Or just for a lab or med school I wouldn't.

Hell, he's gonna be dead, its not like he's gonna care.

Me and the kids are donors. My son wants to be a full body donor, but I don't know if I could do that. Its just different when they are children.

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Shit I hope that my man will follow with my wishes, esp if he makes a promise to me. I could never promise him something, then just disregard his wishes, break my promise and do whatever the hell I wanted just because he was dead. It would be just like he knows I want to be cremated, then I die and he says fuck it I am going to bury her because she has no say in it anymore.

That's one really nice marriage....:bugeye:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I want to be cremated for one reason..

Like Rodney Dangerfield said in "Caddyshack": "Cemeteries and golf courses are the biggest waste of prime real estate there is"

I don't think they need to waste a perfectly good piece of land that could be used for something useful, just to show where the box is that holds my rotting corpse.

If people feel the need to remember me...hang a freaking painting of my mug on the wall.

Just be sure to sprinkle my ashes in the locker room of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.

(from the DCC: ewww!)

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i would love to donate my body but you cant do that AND be an organ donor. They dont take the bits left over i guess so i have to chose and i chose to actually save someones life rather than POSSABLY save someones life somewhere down the track

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Here they do. You can donate all the organs and the limbs go to a lab for training in orthoscopic surgery, the head goes to med school for plastic surgeons, etc.

Shame to waste it all after they have harvested the organs. Are you sure??

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i will have to check again but i belive they only take either full bodies OR organs for transplantation

After all most donated bodies either go to the forensic science students to be dumped to show them how to determine how long it takes a body to get to a specific point of decomp or medical students for anat training

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Did anyone in class vomit in the beginning or have to leave the class?

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

So you are a half body donor or what?

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I know in my head I should probably donate my vital parts after I'm finished with em...but...ugh. I can't take the thought of someone opening me up and harvesting em.

18. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Bollocks, just looked it up, and you don't get payed for your body in the UK.

I might sign up anyway.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I tried to donate it but they took one look and just started laughing then asked me to pay them to take my body and dispose of it !

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

You don't get a penny in Canada either.

Didn't you ask them why they only wanted you to take your pants off?

21. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Hell's Bells, man - half the reason I became a full body donor was the one-in-a-million chance that goofy "B" movie plot about transplanted bits "possessing" the person who got 'em might be possible.

I can just picture the surreal moment when a couple dozen or so people all get this kooky look in their eyes and start chanting like some weird parody of the end of the Styx tune Mr. Roboto...

I'm KILL-JOY...!!!

...KILL-JOY...!!!

...KILL-JOY...!!!

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&star...3N_5gY&usg=AFQjCNHieIvOewcqy6DU4BqOhY1REOl5mQ

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I am a full body donor, not just an organ donor.

I could donate my children's organs, but I don't think I could donate their bodies. I know pediatric surgeons need children's bodies to perfect their skills, but I just can't do it.