Doing the Numbers on No. 1

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by nebel, Apr 30, 2018.

1. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

That statement is a perfect example of your profound ignorance on all things scientific.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nebel

That is why the qualifier " Perhaps" is used at the "10 ms^2 " post.
    You see, the discussion is not about the of degree of Nebel's scientific nebulosity but how surface gravity changes with the shape of bodies, and as Janus 58 showed, oblateness weakens gravity, circularity will increase it. so
    to repeat:
    perhaps it would climb from 9.82 to more nearly 10 m/s^2? or correction please!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

You don't even understand why your statement is so horrid. If you had any real interest in science it would be too bad that you were so uniformed but since you aren't really interested in science - it's not a problem!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nebel

There is not one word in your last 2 sentences that contributes to the understanding of why the acceleration is always greater on a perfect globe, compared to a deformed one like the Earth.'
    possibly upgrading from 9.86 to a 10. Lately,
    All you seem do is nebel bashing., in the process neglecting your science facts . (thanks for your good post#2 on the other "In and Out" gravity question.)
    The Earth, a near perfect ten in so many ways.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

This so silly.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Nebel, if you want contributions to understanding of this Numerology stuff, you would do better in an Astrology Forum.
    Numerology is not scientific, and neither are your ideas.

If you choose to bring them here, to a Science Forum, expect to get criticism.

On the flip aside, your rejection of science-based criticism would be best communicated by your absence.

10. nebel

No, astrology has no contribution to make to the coincidental pattern of 10 s associated for whatever reason/causes with the No 1 place we know to harbour life.
    Yes, not only expect, but welcome, criticism, which will enlighten, it not expose the critic and the criticized.
    I do not reject arguments, often incorporate them in my response, and not all my hypotheses have been successfully debunked, my absence can easily be simulated by keeping the blinkers on.
    As to the converging of 10s on our planet, I am inviting thoughts.

11. nebel

Here is another vague happenstance, a ratio of 1/ 10 , vague by ~1%; Venus our sister planet rotates once in 243 days, the Earth in 24 hours.
    Admittedly far fetched numbers comparing days and hours, but a real, obscure ratio.

12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes, this person does not grasp that the units for measuring all these quantities are arbitrary ones set by us, with no particular significance at all.

One might as well marvel at the fact the acceleration due to gravity is exactly 1 g! I mean, what are the chances of that?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

origin likes this.
  13. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

That isn't just far-fetched. It's downright egregious.

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Here's a perfect example of this numerology crackpottery.

nebel has been going on about the cosmic significance attached to the number 10, and has listed several examples of unrelated values that vaguely come near 10.

And, now that it suits his purpose, nebel has decided that hours have some cosmic significance. An hour is simply 1/24 of a day, and that's a human invention. And it's doesn't even come close, except by nebel's arbitrary choice of how close is 'close enough'.

So, yes, if you take any value of any property of any object in the solar system - and multiply it by a number of your choosing (in the above case, 24) - you can arrive at any other value of any of property of any other object in the solar system - especially if you apply an arbitrarily large 'close enough factor'.

I've got one!

The mass of Titan in trillions of megatons (134,520), when multiplied by the Moon's albedo (.12) equals 16,142 - which is the same as the diameter of Earth (12,700 km)! (with a margin of error that is).

Who can beat that!

15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I still think this one by nebel is one of the funnier ones:

Original, and possibly Cosmic. Take the formula that evolved as a result of the long discussion : (V 0rbit : V rotation) X diameter of central body. plug in the Solar data:
    Orbital velocity of Sun in Milky Way: ~ 220 m/s : Rotation velocity of Sun ~ 2m/s = a ratio of ~ 110/1. multiply by solar diameter ~ 1 300 000 km = 150 000 000 km aka 1 AU, Earth orbit semi major axis.
    You read it here first, on:
    Pseudo Science, sciforums

So, the orbital velocity of a star around the milky way divided by the stars rotational speed times the stars diameter equals the distance to the third planet around that star. I mean WTF, it's genius...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

DaveC426913 likes this.
  16. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Doing the Numbers on No. 1 = number 2...

sideshowbob likes this.
  17. nebel

well. not cosmic or comic, interesting coincidences, not that our fore bearers had the foresight to pick units like km, hour that give these ratios. but some will come out to 10, no matter what units we pick.Natural occurring or artificial, interesting artifacts associated with the first planet to harbour life. will we ever leave that harbour?
    PS : notice that I never listed the 100 degrees Celsius, or the Kilo pascals which are clearly deliberately chosen to facilitate calculation,

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  18. nebel

it was called clever a long time ago when I pointed out that the AU is 1000 (998.9) light seconds/2, the minimal planetary distance 300 ~.3 AU.

19. nebel

Yeah, I realize this is not first class, but wether these numbers are natural consequences, or coincidences of things that just happened, I am just putting them out here . Of course,
    If one sees too many sixes (or 10s) at dice, people will start to suspect that they are loaded. so: get a load of this: another 10 coming up --soon.

20. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Exactly. Deliberately faked to misrepresent reality.

21. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

What exactly is that clever about that?

22. nebel

was not my choice of words, (coined during the V.A. Kotov debate days) but it strikes most people as unexpectedly and amazing, and from that 10^3, using bode you have wavelength and ballpark photon signal travel time at your fingertips. example:
    Saturn, the most stunning of planetary views, is reflecting sunlight that is~10x10x10x10/2 seconds travel time from the sun.

Bob, In his sideshow, nebel is using weighted dice again. but not faked. facted.

23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Except that's false.

nebel is not facted, but falsed.