Dogs

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by tim840, Dec 22, 2008.

?

What is your favorite dog breed?

1. Afghan hound

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Airedale

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Akita

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Australian shepherd

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. Basset hound

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Beagle

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  7. Bichon frise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Bloodhound

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Boston terrier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Boxer

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  11. Bulldog

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  12. Chihuahua

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  13. Chinese crested hairless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Chow chow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Cocker spaniel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Collie

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  17. Dachshund

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  18. Dalmation

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  19. Doberman

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  20. Foxhound

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  21. German shepherd

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  22. Golden retriever

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  23. Great dane

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  24. Greyhound

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  25. Irish setter

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  26. Husky

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  27. Jack Russell terrier

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  28. Labrador retriever

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  29. Lhasa apso

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  30. Malamute

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  31. Maltese

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  32. Mastiff

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  33. Pekingese

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  34. Pinscher

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  35. Pit bull

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  36. Pointer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  37. Pomeranian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  38. Poodle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  39. Pug

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  40. Rottweiler

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  41. Schanuzer

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  42. Scottish terrier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  43. Shar pei

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  44. Sheepdog

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  45. Shih tzu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  46. St Bernard

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  47. Tibetan spaniel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  48. Welsh corgi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  49. Yorkshire terrier

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. John99 Banned Banned

nice pics. i should scan my pooches picture in. he is dead now. shorty, i had a mini Pinscher too.

i had her for a month or so but i had to leave her alone and she hated that. one day she clawwed a hole through my wall and was trying to escape. i felt bad so i gave her away after about a month or so...to a good home.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

German Shepherd Dog.

People seem to like abbreviating this one, for instance, German Shepherd crossed with something are often referred to as GSDX.

I guess I have GSDX x 3 !

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

You don't have to be a deep thinker to be intelligent. Why do you assume youthful exuberance means unintelligent?
    They aren't the deepest thinkers, because they are too busy having fun. They are the Peter Pan of dogs. As a Boxer owner, you have to stay on them.
    http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/12-10-2005-83656.asp
    If I had a nickel for everytime one of my Boxers gave me the metaphorical finger when I told her to do something...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Boxer-Dog-Training-Time-to-Get-Stubborn
    You may have met Boxers, but I have one. They act just like what I've posted above. When she wants to learn, Marley has learned every command that I've taught her after the fourth or fifth time I've showed her.
    Even the other day, I looked down at her, pointed at myself with both thumbs and said in an aggressive (but playful) manner, "You want summa dis????" Almost immediately she went into a play bow, then jumped up at me. She knew I was picking a play fight.

Oh, one more advantage for Boxers, they have been proven to be one of the top 5 breeds around children.

That doesn't sound like a good combination. And if he wanted a loyal guard dog: Doberman, Rottie, GSD, Akita, Great Pyrenees, etc. Sounds like your friend isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

What happened?

German Sheperd Dog

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

If you look at your own description of Boxers, you might change your mind. As I said, it worked for the personality (he kept one for his family, ended up giving the rest to friends - who really like them), it's just that they looked kind of - - rough.
    He's sharper than to trust a Pyrenees around visiting children, or expect an Akita to be playful and happy with kids.
    What happened to the Irish Setter? A bunch of people who care more about how their dog looks in a photo than how it works, bred it for AKC conformation and looks, and forgot to keep the brains. They ruined the breed. When I said they get lost on leash, I was not exaggerating for effect.

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

He's sharper than to trust a Pyrenees around visiting children, yet he is going to breed a Chow of all breeds into a guard dog that is going to be around children? Granted that dog has Boxer in him, but it also has Chow. You know as well as I do, Chows are not known for their even temperament.
    I'd trust a Rottweiler around children before I would a Chow.

Oh. OK. I never heard about that one before.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yep, I haven't seen a good hunting one since I was a kid.:bawl:

10. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

And the thread rose from the dead

I happened to find this article that I thought was pretty fitting.
    http://www.slate.com/id/2213121/?GT1=38001

This reiterates why man has such a special kinship with dogs.

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I found this article today as well. Not totally dog related but a bit related.
    Who wouldn't want a job like this? Don't let me find out how to be one of these.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1883742,00.html?cnn=yes

I love this question and answer.
    That would just make me want to continue my plight to curb that crap even more.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't. I couldn't handle it. It would be on the same level of investigating child abuse, and I just couldn't do it long term.
    I admire people who can, but I know I'd never be one of them

13. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Having to do some of the things he had to do to stay undercover would bother me to no end, but it would be worth it to look in the eyes of the person responsible as they were cuffed and carted off to jail.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Mike, didn't you say you have three dogs, one Dobie and one boxer? What breed is the third one?

15. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

My favorite dog that I ever had was a mix of a collie and a dobberman. I like boxers and pit bulls better as breeds than I like dobbermans though. I never really had any unusual breeds though(akita, Tosa, dogo, et cetera).

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I like Dobies too...one of the few traits I inherited from my father, I think...

My ultimate favourite dogs are GSDs though. I really want one.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

aren't there different kinds?
    I've never seen a non-cropped (ears & tail) one. I don't think I could ever do that to a dog.

18. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

He's a mix. He's a bit smaller than the boxer, about 40 lbs. He's light tan, with white socks and a white tail tip. It curls up a bit (kinda like a Beagles).
    He has the black mask and white snout stripe. His face looks almost like a cross between a boxer and a pit. He has one ear that folds down. He's a turd.
    I can't access photobucket here at work but I'll post a pic when I get home.

I like German Sheperds too. I always think of them as Dobermans with fur coats and a tail. haha.
    Dobermans are listed as better guard dogs than GSDs (only the Mastiff was listed better, and that was only because of their size), and they're right under the GSD in intelligence.
    http://www.petmedsonline.org/top-10-smartest-dogs-in-the-world.html

http://www.petmedsonline.org/top-10-best-guard-dog-breeds.html

The thing that captivates me about Dobermans is their regality. They always have this noble air to them. They carry themselves like a true professional would. Even when they're protecting something, they're always smart and tactful about it. They're always alert and looking around.
    They are the BMW of dog breeds.

I like Boxers because they are like little kids with boundless energy. Boxers are the reason I believe every word of this quote:

Man is troubled by what is called the Dog Wish; a strange and involved compulsion to be as happy and care free as a dog
    When Marley (my Boxer) looks at me with those big brown, dancing, perma-puppy dog eyes, it's hard to not be happy and care free.

19. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Cool! Please do post a pic. What's his name? Why is he a turd? Does he misbehave a lot?

That's what I love about GSDs. That dignified manner. Even when taking a dump they still manage to maintain this aura of dignity. I love their morphology, too. That Neo-Wolf look.

20. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Look in the links I've provided above. You'll see a Dobie with long ears.

I understand your pov about the docked tail/cropped ears. While they are cosmetic now, their original purpose was functional.

Think about it, what use is a big ass long tail on a guard dog who may have to defend his master/property? That's just one other thing for an assailant to grab hold of, or get caught in something.
    You also don't want a 90 lb doberman with a two in diameter tail walking alongside your coffee table, knocking shit off it.

Now for the ears. A dog with naturally floppy ears like that has a capability to hear within a 20 degree cone. A dog with the pointy cropped ears (or ones like the GSD/Wolves have) has the ability to hear within a 5 degree cone.
    Cropped ears also don't flop back and forth uncontrollably when the dog is running, nor do they stand out loose for another dog or assailant to grab on to.

21. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

His name is Lucky. I found him in the parking lot of the last place that I worked. I saw him first about two hours before I got off. I asked everyone in the bldg. if they could take him. No takers. I told myself that if he's still out there at 5, that he's coming home with me. He was still there and he came home with me. I took him, called the SPCA and they helped with the vet costs initially, and we set it up for me to foster him. Well, I've had him for almost two years now. And while I'd still like to adopt him somewhere (as Kingston merely tolerates him and only because I make him), I'd have no problem keeping him too.

True, but a GSD will never look as mean or have that 'I'll kick you ass all up and down this street if you mess with my master' look about them.

22. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Screw people who abandon their dogs.

I once saw one tied to a fence looking extremely bored. No one came along for ages.

Nah GSDs are very capable of looking mean. They are rough and rugged looking, can look evil when they want to.

23. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Yep. I pulled almost the same stunt when I was at a gas station a few weeks ago. Except this dog was either a Jack Russell mix or an Italian Greyhound. I was about to go get a snack for it inside, but it kinda trotted away before I could.

I never said GSDs didn't look mean, they just don't, and never will, look as mean and ready to kick someone's ass as a Doberman does.

Honestly, we could start a poll on what the first breed that comes to mind when you think of guard dog, or what breed of guard dog looks the most intimidating.
    I bet the overwhelming response will be Doberman.