Dogs vs Cats

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Enigma'07, Jun 16, 2004.

?

Which do you agree with

1. I am a dog person

11.1%
  2. I am a cat person

33.3%
  3. I like all animals because they're cute and cuddly

29.6%
  4. Animal? Get the flame thrower, it's time for a barbeque!

22.2%
  5. Other

3.7%
  1. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

Which are better? Do people share certain personality traits with their pet?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Singularity The last thing you'll ever see Registered Senior Member

I said I liked all animals but it's not because they're cute and cuddly.. They're only adorable during the first year of their life ... then as they get older they loose that cuteness. I guess I like all animals just because I think of myself as a nature person .. someone who respects nature and everything that lives within its glory.

However I have no problems eating certain animals ... like chicken and beef ... I won't deny myself of a healthy life.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I don´t like the domestication of animals to use them as pets.
    Animals are living their lifes, and I eat some of them to sustain my life.
    Holding them just for my pleasure is not to my liking.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I like all things alive, but most living things are not cuddly

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Ligh up te barbie!

9. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yeah, let ´em burn

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm a cat person now, because I have one. I like dogs, too, but they can be rather demanding to take care of.

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Cats are evil, self-centered monsters. They couldn't care less if you were dying on the floor. A dog would be horrified that it's master was in distress and would try to do something.

Edit: Guess who's the one dog person so far?

12. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

dogs are stupid drones

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Cats do care about their owners very much, they just don't fawn over every jerk that comes through the door. My cat was a stray. Now she follows me around where ever I go like a shadow, and wakes me up if anything weird happens. My fiend's cat was much different, I think it varies between animals.

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I'll agree that there are some cats that are caring. In my experience these cats are the exceptions that prove the rule. My grandma was the "cat lady" and so I've got a bit of experience in this regard.

On dogs being stupid drones, it is unfortunate that there are a number of retarded dogs out there. You can usually get a good insight of a dog's intelligence by observing how it wags it's tail. If it's just the tail wagging, it's most likely reasonably intelligent. However, if it wags it's whole ass end then you know you've got a retard on your hands.

And they are social animals with a pack mentality, but so are we and that's why we get along so well. Cat's are solitary creatures that only reluctantly get involved in social pursuits and then with such an air of self-superiority that it makes you wanna "wring their neck!!!" Sorry, that was from Tom Green. "Iiii'lll wwrriiinnnggg yooouuurr NNeeeCCCkkk!!!" He was talking to a light bulb at the time.

I don't advocate killing animals because of their smugness.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

In that case you're in luck, because your premise is wrong on two counts.

Neither dogs nor cats were "domesticated" by humans, and the purpose of our relationships with them was not to keep them as pets.

In both cases, individuals of the two species who were curious about humans and their uncanny success at becoming the dominant species just kept coming closer. Both species got a chance to recognize each other's strengths, get used to each other's presence, and learn what not to do to avoid making the other angry or frightened.

In the dogs' case, around 10,000BCE during the late Stone Age, dogs and humans realized that if they merged their hunting parties they could bring down more game. Dogs could smell game a long way off and run fast enough to keep them from getting away. Humans had those pointy sticks that could kill a frelling mammoth. Eventually humans realized that having dogs in the camp made for a cleaner camp, as the dogs learned that humans drop perfectly tasty bits of food on the ground and just leave it there. The dogs loved our campfires, and we appreciated their ability to detect really large predators and their willingness to sacrifice their lives to defend the "pack."

It wasn’t until around 6,000BCE that humans began selectively breeding dogs to make them better “pets.” By then, the dogs’ brains had shrunk after thousands of years of a scavenger’s diet, the teeth that wolves use for ripping flesh got blunted, and they developed a natural tendency to regard humans as pack leaders. They could no longer just sashay back out into the wilderness and live as hunters. They were committed to continuing the experiment of the world’s only multi-species community.

Cats didn’t come along until after we’d invented civilization, around 7,000BCE. They regarded the grain storehouses in our villages as giant rodent hunting grounds, and we were delighted with the service. The history of our relationship parallels that of dogs, only with a later start. Cats are still capable of fending for themselves in the wild. We haven’t created nearly as many artificial “breeds” of cats, and they all look recognizably like the original. And cats aren’t quite as docile and unquestioning in their acceptance of us as leaders.

So don’t feel bad about our relationship with dogs and cats. They’re both where they are because their ancestors took a look at the easy, comfortable, prosperous lives that humans led and decided they wanted a piece of it. The individuals of the ancestral wolves and African jungle cats who didn’t feel that way took a different path and still live in the wild. Everybody’s happy.

If you want to talk about people who abuse their pets, or keep greyhounds stifled in kennels between races, or don’t have their animals neutered so millions get euthanized every year, or who let them run in the street getting in fights with each other or with automobiles, that’s a different issue. But for the most part, this is one of those perfect relationships where both parties feel like they are getting the best end of the bargain.

16. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I think animals smell bad even if you take care of them. When people show up at school with animal hair on their clothes, I want to puke. I guess I don't have much tolerance for dirt.

17. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I pay close attention to *not* take away any hair that is left on me from my cat.

18. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

You think YOU smell good? HA.... HA.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

19. Facial Valued Senior Member

I have a cat.

20. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I love both cats and dogs. I only have a cat because I don't really have room for a dog. But my landlord has dogs, so I pet and play with them whenever I can.

I can understand why someone might be indifferent to cats, but I've never understood the whole "macho cat hater" thing.

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I don't understand why people have to have "pets". Can't people just have friends they can be with instead of an animal? I mean why is it necessary to own an animal?

22. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

Good point, but if you were responsible and had time to take care of it, and you found one about to get euthanized, then wouldn't it be best to adopt it?

23. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

A pet is not a friend. In many ways, it's much more than that. Of course, a pet can't give opinions in important discussions. But it can be a subject of long-term love. A pet is more like a child, or a sibling. It depends on the owner much more than a friend ever would, and gives back much more attention and love.