Dogs and chickenbones

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Syzygys, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Psssssssssssssssst! Y'missed out the bit about how he should also pay Mr Anonymous money as well as heed him......

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I rather like to chew on chicken bones myself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Heh.
    A friend of mine once decided to make some homemade chicken soup.
    Put all the chicken in the crockpot and cooked the hell out of it.
    It was tasting pretty good, but he thought that the longer it cooked the better it'd be. Slow crockpot cooking so everything would blend together into hearty goodness...

Well.
    Turns out that by the time we ate it, it tasted like elbow stew.
    All the cartilage had dissolved and likely a good portion of the bone as well.

Yummy.

Well. At least he tried. More than most people can say.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I can see here a major difference between cooking and boiling. So I would say that chickenbones in a soup are just fine. We also made a soup out of the leftover from the turkey, and although I thought the neck bones were just fine for the dog, wifey made me throw it out.
    The boiling process should soften the bones and make them less splitery...

8. valich Registered Senior Member

You're just speculating. Either way the fibulla in the hind leg bone is too small for any mammal to eat, whether it splinters or not. You owe Mr. A. $10.

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

hehe, I have just ran into the same problem again, so I researched it. I came up with a big pile of smelly doggy dodo... I would like to ask the non-American posters here, do they have the same myth about dogs and chicken bones in their countries? I bet this one was made up here in America, where dogfood is only 50 years old, so poor dogs had to eat raw or cooked chicken bones for centuries.

I also bet that raw chicken bones splinter easier than cooked ones. So the "cooked bones are specially not OK" argument is also bullshit. But argue away anyway!!!

10. LunarMoon Registered Senior Member

There is a good deal of difference between a typical domesticated dog and the predatory, wild wolves that you are familiar with. It’s believed that in the process if the domesticated dog’s evolution, certain feral breeds would scavenge off of human hunting remains, within such things as garbage lots. However, since this passive act of scavenging did not require the same intelligence and capabilities that the stronger wild dogs possessed, the less intelligent strains would live in this manner and form mutual alliances with human beings; such is a common theory of the domesticated dog’s development. Now, with that said, it is likely that certain environmental factor such as those mentioned in this thread could be the cause of the stated incompetence and veterinarians tend to “err” on the side of safety, anyway. Not all dogs are incapable of eating chicken bones though it’s probably best to keep them away from unhardened ones.

Domestication of the Dog:
    pbs.org/wnet/nature/dog/garbage.html

Dog Intelligence:
    'Wolves' (1989)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

This makes me remember the time last yr my dog Bruce ate almost 1/2 a chicken... bones and all lol

We had Swiss Chalet( might be a Canadian thing ) that night and left the table. I left the leftover whole chicken on the table and went to do something. Everyone else took off somewhere. Well when I came down I noticed the chicken was missing!! Then I heard this cracking and grunting kinda noises. I went behind the coffee table to find Bruce mowing down on the chicken carcus. I started yelling at him and got closer, he sounded like he was going to rip my arm off, all the while choking back the chicken lol

Anyway there was no getting it from him unless someone wanted to lose a hand. After that he layed on the couch, his stomache looked like it was going to explode. Nietzsche was so worried kept saying it is not good to eat chicken bones, it will cut up his stomache. Well Bruce was fine and left a hell of a load in the backyard lol

He also drinks from the toilet :bugeye: even though he has a water bowl.

12. Donnal Registered Member

i always gave my dogs chiken bones and me dingo she ate it never died from them
    dunno why i guess some cant
    and i thought originaly dogs were scavengers originaly hanging round man for scraps
    then became mans best friend
    easier to train for a bit of scrap or left overs

saw it on discovery channel

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Dogs don't often die while chewing on the bone. Remember, dogs are not like us, their throat doesn't close off while they're eating, so if something is stuck in their throat they can still breathe. What happens is that it gets stuck there and that causes complications like infection and the dog will die from that. Our vet says he pulls a chicken bone out of a dog's throat about once a month. That means that statistically your dog can probably eat chicken bones his whole life and never get one stuck. It's just a matter of risk analysis, something Americans are notoriously poor at.
    As I said, they don't die "suddenly" so you might not realize what the ultimate cause of death is. BTW, dogs are wolves (as recently discovered by DNA analysis) and coyotes and jackals are the same genus (Canis). Foxes are
    That's a question we'll never be able to answer. It's just as plausible that dogs were smarter and realized that forming the world's first voluntary multi-species community would work to the advantage of both species.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Regardless, the real issue is that the scavenger's diet that Canis lupus familiaris eventually had to adapt to does not provide as much protein as the hunter's diet that Canis lupus lupus eats. The brain requires a lot of protein to maintain so today the average dog's brain is measurably smaller than the average wolf's brain.

BTW, we cook our chickens in pressure cookers and then toss the whole thing into the food processor. The bones have been softened and it grinds up everything together. That way the dogs get all that nice calcium. We mix it with rice, pumpkin, fish oil, a vitamin powder, and glucosamine chondroitin. Homemade dog food, saves about 75% over the premium brands and is far more nutritious and safe than the cheap stuff. (We have 13 dogs so it matters.)

Still we know people who just toss their dogs a whole raw chicken. We've never met anyone personally who had a problem with a bone lodged in their throat. It's a low risk, but so is having an accident in your car and you still wear your seat belt. The probability is low but the consequences are too high to accept the risk.

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Folks, consider this:

In the last 3-4 THOUSANDS years, I am sure millions of dogs lived on food from the humns' table. Those bones were all kind, cooked, roasted, raw. I am also sure that people don't carefully put all chicken bones into their kitchen composter, because they didn't have one!!!
    So how and when this myth started? Sure, occasionally a dog died here or there, but the good old dogs KNEW how to chew! If a dog keeps just gulping down food, I can see that small bones without chewed up can be a problem. I guess darwinism quickly solved this gulper problem.
    Then companies started to make so called dogfood, which is mostly cheap garbage, if we analyze it. Now no dogfood can compete with a nice spicy KFC chicken bone specially that it is kind of free.Thus an enemy and the myth of the killer chicken bone were born...

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My husband is a firm believer that you NEVER give a dog chicken bones. I asked him why "Because that's what my folks said" I swear, he never questions anything....unless I say it.:wallbang:

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well I had always heard the same thing. We don't give our dog them. He has gotten a hold of them himself ( post above ) If you have seen them chewing on them the pieces look so sharp. My dog doesn't do the best at chewing up things either, he is in such a hurry he swallows stuff without even tasting it, it seems.

I had always heard that they will cut up their stomache :shrug:

I will give him a steak bone though. Or like the big bone from a Ham.

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Steak bone is an interesting issue, because once it splits, it looks just as sharp as chicken bones.
    One of my dogwalker friend is a vet assistant, and I am going to ask her about the emergency rate and occurance. By the way the reason why I asked non-Americans about the issue was, because until I came to America, I never heard of this chicken bone myth. I looked up a European vetsite and here is the vet's answer translated:

"You can give chicken bones to the dog, although the tube-like bones (leg,wing) can be avoided. Even those can cause a problem only very rarely. In my practice I have NEVER met with a intestine perforation caused by chicken bone. Feeding chicken bones should be done only 1-2 times weekly and in small amounts because this small sized dogs (this was an answer to a question) don't chew very well."

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  18. sharonbetts Registered Member

You say you use a pressure cooker. Can you elaborate? I have two large dogs and add chicken to their meals. I would like to include the bones for health, but am still "worried about the wives' tales".

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm stunned. Your dogs eat better than some Americans.

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Of course! He cares more for his dogs than he does for those other Americans. What more is there to say?

Baron Max

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Some ppl are like that. I wondered reading that if he breeds them or something considering he has 13 dogs!!

Even so that seems like a hell of a lot of work making that dog food. My dog just gets regular dog food from a bag, and the occassional scraps.

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

...and of course if Baron spends more then 23 cents on his catfood a day, he is a hypocrate, because for that much he could adopt a kid from Africa!

23. Zyxoas Registered Senior Member

Hey, Baron! Would you like to adopt me please? Okay, so I'm not technically a kid, but it sure would be GREAT!! :yay: