Dog drags woman in front of train

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by mikenostic, Jun 5, 2009.

1. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I have seen quite a few. And...sometimes AmStaffs are labelled Pit Bulls and they DO weigh upwards of 100 lbs.

True, but if the Pit had a competent owner, the Pit really wouldn't have a choice in whether or not it wanted to change plans quick.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

I've noticed a lot of pets are smarter than their owners

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How sad. What a horrible way to die.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

How in the name of shit was it his fault? Because he was the male, and therefore he was the powerful one while she was in a childlike or victim role?

Bollocks. It was HER dog. She should have taught it to walk beside her and stop when she stops.

Lots of other breeds have done things like that. Alsatians, rottweilers, all the big strong ones. Should they all be banned because in some cases their human didn't teach them how to behave?

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

He was on the other side of the tracks calling the dog's name.

9. justwonderingjoe Gosh,the weather is nice today Registered Senior Member

Click on the link, then the video link. The dog tried to follow the man that crossed first. She got dragged. Had he obeyed the RR guard....
    The way the facts of THIS case are, the dog tried to follow the guy.

It has nothing to do with him being "the man" and therefore he was in charge and shit like that.

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

So what if the dog tried to follow, it was her own dog, she should have trained it properly.

11. justwonderingjoe Gosh,the weather is nice today Registered Senior Member

I'm sure everyone wishes that too, right now, but the dog wasn't
    But think of this, the people must have known the dog wasn't trained. Why the the heck tempt that poor dog?

12. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't say that, I would say that the owners are stupider than the pets.

Then he should be held responsible for their deaths.

13. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Why the heck even have a dog like that if you aren't going to discipline it?
    It makes about as much sense as an inexperienced 16 year old who just got their license, driving a Ferrari Enzo.
    Just like an owner who doesn't discipline a high intensity dog, if an inexperienced driver gets behind a beast of a car like a Ferrari, things will probably not end well.

14. wise acre Registered Senior Member

Just so you know, it is amazingly easy to disagree without being insulting. That said...

Even when dogs know they are not the alpha they do not like groups to disperse, especially humans. They want the pack to be a pack. They will join up with the lead creature.

Sure. But I do not think everyone has to follow your rules with dogs. I think it is fine for some people to give their dogs freer reign. they should however make sure this does not get them pulled in front of trains or inconvenience other people.

I have done reading on the subject and also had life experience. I have owned a number of dogs going way back, including big high intensity ones.

Yeah. I like that guy. But again, if it is fine with you and other people it is not a problem. He is going in an training people who are not happy. They are not happy because they cannot control their dogs, often, ever. I let my dogs move ahead me. Except one where this was not OK. In the cases where I did it was fine. If I had to call your (appeal to) authority guy, Cesar, because I had problems, fine, but I didn't. And many don't, especially people who live in the countryside. But even in the city - big eastern ones - I have known people who had their dogs off leash. The dogs were allowed to be ahead and also behind. They tended to be very smart animals - I mean they'd have to be - who stopped at all intersections, did not engage leashed dogs or pedestrians.

You want one size fits all. I don't think this is necessary.

This couple needed a different relationship with their dog or boatloads of missing common sense in situations like the one she died in.

I am sure that's true. I probably don't. You started right in with being condescending. A sure warning sign that the discussion will be unpleasant. We disagree. I see a lot of possible successful human/dog relations. I have seen these from puppy birth to old age death. The dogs and humans and those around them were pleased with those dogs lives
    and the relationships were not run within your restrictions.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Is it possible they were out with the dogs on a training exercise? Or do you train a dog to heel in your living room?

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Just say what you mean

Come on, Mike, just come out and say it. The woman deserved to die, didn't she?

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

But that doesn't mean they will be IN FRONT OF the leader. Beside him, yeah. In front of him, no.

Nobody has to follow any rules. But if you don't follow those rules with dogs, shit like what just happened, happens.

Apparently not enough reading (but I guess these guys don't know what they're talking about either).

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/dogwalk.htm
    Take Cesar's quiz:
    http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/quizes/index.php

http://www.old-dog-treats-and-rawhide.com/dog-walking.html

http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/10-Dog-Walking-Tips.727831
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27053480/

I could take my 90 lb Doberman for a walk w/o a leash and he would be fine, but that doesn't mean I should. Just because the people you know have had their dogs off leash, doesn't mean that something bad won't happen someday.
    I could go get in my car and not put my seatbelt on and most likely not get into an accident. I could do that for months and nothing happen, but the first time I did get into an accident w/o the seatbelt, it will be much worse than if I had done what I should in the first place.

Those dogs sound like they've otherwise had a great deal of training. Otherwise I'm gunna have to raise the bullshit flag on this statement.

Can't argue with that.

And I've seen plenty of the total opposite happen when the relationships were not run with my restrictions.
    I can also run/drive my car for 15000 miles w/o changing the oil in it and the car be just fine, but that doesn't mean I'm going to.
    Dude, people like Cesar aren't insanely successful because they are incompetent and don't know what they're doing.
    And all the stuff Cesar teaches about dog walking, you can also find in Pet Smart and Superpetz training classes.

And I started in being condescending because you implied that I don't know what I'm talking about (i.e. not every dog needs those restrictions...uh, yes they do).
    Look I don't claim to know everything, but I'm not going to let someone tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about concerning things that I AM well versed in.

18. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

haha...isn't that what I implied with the Darwin Award honorable mention thing?
    J/K
    :roflmao:

But no, I don't think either one of them deserved to die.
    I just think people should be more educated on how to raise a dog.
    When you got people like wise ass saying that those rules shouldn't apply to every dog, then people get the idea that 'hey, he's right. I'm a great dog owner, those rules don't apply to MY dog. I'm not going to discipline my dog. I'll let it walk in front of me and give it the idea that it's boss'.

19. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

From articles: He owned the dog, but it was her dog and he and she were just friends.

What the hell does that mean? Moving on, He was on a bike. They were out together.

From this I am guessing she was jogging with her dog while he rode with them on a bike. In other words the three of them were a mixed species animal pack.

The dog and bike rider are fast but the the human attached to the dog is not so fast. The dog may forget how slow the running human is.

For the previous perhaps 1/2 hour they moved as a unit. The dog was not expecting the unit to split up when the somewhat scary train approached. Had the woman simply run with the dog and never tried to stop the dog from following the bike she would probably be alive now.

The bicyclist if he knew dogs would not have been surprised that the dog tried to follow him and if he knew the woman would not have been surprised that she would try to wait for the train.

That Is why it is sort of his fault. He probably had enough knowledge to do the right thing he just failed to access that knowledge. Of course I am making a lot of assumptions as I usually do. I just feel sorry for the guy because I bet he is beating himself up now emotionally.

20. Xylene Valued Senior Member

It would've been a smart idea to carry a sharp knife to cut the leash, seeing as she had it warpped around her hand and couldn't get it unwound in time.

21. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

The innocent victim in this is the dog, the idiots shouldn't have been playing chicken with a train in the first, and if she was going to start crossing behind someone else then she had to commit and do it, ofcourse the dog is going to follow the other people, she's paniced like an idiot and stopped and started struggling to get back and just caught both of them in the trains path. I doubt the dog would have been hit by the train if he wasn't strapped to a moron.

22. wise acre Registered Senior Member

That's why I mentioned with humans. With humans they tend to shoot past. Ever walk in the woods with dogs?

But that is not the case. Some people do not follow your rules and they do fine.

I am not saying they are wrong. I am saying there are several ways of being right. I am not telling you you should do things another way. I am saying that other ways can work for other people.

No, thank you. But I do like his work.

As I said. Birth to death without bad things. And bad things happen regardless. My kids will never drown if I teach them how to swim but then never let them swim, but then, maybe I like the idea of them being able to swim. I could give them curfews of 7pm through their teenage years. Life includes risks. Most people increase their risks to some degree to have their lives the way they want. In fact, everyone does.

The woman in the article increased her risks without increasing any joy or freedom. She was attached to a powerful animal who tugged her around. High risk, low joy.

Good analogy. But then driving is a HUUUUUUGE risk. But you don't stop doing that, do you? And sure, maybe you live where you have to have it. But you could stay off the road except when you absolutely had to drive. But you probably don't do that. You take risks in the name of freedom or pleasure, just like everyone else. I'll bet you drive sometimes when you don't really need to. You're not wrong if you drive only when you have to and you are not wrong if you decide you will only ride public transportation. And you are not wrong if you use your car a lot. Get it?

We used to let our cats out in the semi-city area we lived. This involved risks for the cats, risks they took with gusto. Complaints from neighbors adn we would have cut way down, but they didn't complain.

Yup. They had a lot of training. But they did not get trained the way you are saying all dogs have to be trained. They had different rules. I have also seen where older dogs can be transitioned into this. They needed a leash when they were young and frisky in the city, but as they grew older they could be counted on.

Of course. But we don't all have to live with restrictions that other people need.

I can go rock hopping in a stream or do some very light rock climbed where the fall is just a couple of meters. There are many people who should not do these things. However I will not live my life as everyone on earth or some median person should. That's my point. I am not saying that everyone should let their dogs run loose.

Some people shouldn't drive. But you drive. Some people should never drive 5 miles over the speed limit. I'll bet you do. Something could go wrong. Something could go wrong at the speed limit. Maybe you should always drive 5 miles under the speed limit.

I mean, I am pushing the point, not to be sarcastic but because I would guess that in general you actually agree with me.

Sigh.

I disagreed. There is a difference.
    That doesn't mean you don't know what you are talking about. And no, not all dog and dog owner pairs need those restrictions. I have lived this and I have seen others live this. And not just a few others.

I hope I didn't say you don't know what you are talking about. I really don't think I did. Your rules may be right even for a majority of dog owners. I just know they don't fit everyone and success can be had without them. As I said I lived this and I have seen it lived many times by others. That's all.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  23. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

people who allow their dogs to control them and their house hold are just as dangerous as drunk drivers.