Does your dream ego actually read?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dinosaur, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Myles Registered Senior Member

Has it occured to you that the language does exist? You cannot rule out the possibility that aliens are communicating telepathically with you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

At the risk of speaking on V.I's behalf, she communicates physically with the aliens, I mean she fucks their enormous brains out!

Back to the dreams.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Myles Registered Senior Member

You may or may not be right. Have you read " Possible Methods of Alien Reproduction " by Dick Stiffenheim ? He discusses the topic exaustively.

BTW this book will not be available in Australia during the Pope's visit. It will be removed from display to the stockroom during this time.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Why not?

The symbols aren't important, it's the meaning behind them that counts. Lets imagine I'm telepathic and I can beam meaning right into your mind. Lets say I want to tell you "The sky is blue", so I write you a note that says "jfilek mundaf jteiln", but at the same time I beam "the sky is blue" into your mind. Even though the note is complete jibberish you understand what I mean, and to someone else (who doesn't know I'm telepathic) watching this conversation it would look like the note is written in an actual language.

The same thing happens in a dream. Instead of decoding the symbols your brain just skips that step altogether, and goes straight to attaching a meaning to them. As if someone just beamed that meaning into your head.

Language is a lot stranger than it seems.

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

True, that makes sense.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Not into aliens, though I must say they're better looking than Myles.

9. Myles Registered Senior Member

You probably saw a full-face pic. I look much better in profile.

Before you go to sleep, don't forget to check for aliens under the bed. You might get lucky !

10. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

I dunno about "aliens," but I do think spiritual entities of either dark or light status can communicate to people their vulnerable dream states.

When I was young I had a shadowing ghostly black figure that would appear in my dreams every once in a while. Then one day I tried a new experiment that I had read about online: I gave the absolutely terrifying entity a hug.... haven't seen it since

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I have encountered several authoritative-sounding remarks saying that dreaming happens in a particular brain center, and that brain center doesn't have access to the part that can read. But I don't know if these were real authorities. I remember one was a Batman cartoon and they usually research those things pretty accurately because they take pride in them, but it could still be wrong.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Do deaf people dream in ASL?

13. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I have meditated into a sleeping-state and read a few times. I wish I had written down what was read but I remember the words flowing freely without any restriction - going forward without a thought to hinder them. And they made stories without any structure or end-purpose, and metaphors that sometimes hinted at a great deal of depth if I had taken more effort to analyze. It's extremely enjoyable actually.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm sure it's not exactly identical to the state you're in when sleeping and undoubtedly uses at least some different parts of the brain. So being able to do something in a meditation trance is not persuasive evidence that you should be able to do it while truly asleep.

15. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Agreed, it is only the beginnings of sleep. Not REM sleep. I think it is possible to read while sleeping, just not coherently or structured, or for very long.

16. Underverse Registered Member

The same thing happens to me most of the time. Once in a while when I focus in on print I think I can see some letters, maybe short words, but when I try to read the text from where a sentence and paragraph should begin it all seems to quickly dissolve.

I keep hoping that one of these nights I'll actually read something, and then I'll try to imagine it's a message I've sent to myself---which, I reckon it would be. But, I will have to jazz up the experience, add details, as I always do when recalling dreams.

Stay tuned for some really freaky stuff, I just ate a pepperoni pizza and I'm gonna take a nap.

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Haha, cool, tell us about it.

For some reason I get really sketchy dreams when exhausted. Once I'd been out on the town until 5am, and when I finally slept I had this really trippy dream. Not even a coherent dream, just red and yellow waveforms everywhere, no walls or floor just these oscillations.

Another one, my vision went like a computer screen with random letters and numbers.

18. Orbit A Service to the Blind. Registered Senior Member

I presume so yes. My boyfriend is blind and dreams in vivid images and sound despite the fact he has never been able to see. I guess the same goes for deafness. The brain makes these for you cos it knows whats normal. It doesnt know what realy words sound like, so similarly to the guys dreaming in different languages, the language is probably fabricated, but understood sub-consiously.

19. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I tried to read once, but it was dissolved into some weird dots and lines.

Another time I just simply knew what it stood so I didn't have to actually "read" it.

What I think happens, is that the action of reading changes the dream as you try to read, so that it blurs.

It's as if you invision a book page in your thought, and it has meaningful text in it (but you don't know forehand what the text means), try to look closer and read without making it up, you will see about the same effect as in your dreams. You have to know what is there, for there to be anything there

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!