Does time exist?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by Asexperia, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It isn't my hypothesis at all...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

From another source my understanding is that gravity and/or speed interferes with the mechanism of any sort of measuring instrument

From the instruments view point nothing changes. From the "stationary" view point changes occur. Each has to stay in its relative region and within its own frame for everything to be normal for everyone. The two bougie bad boys are gravity and the limiting speed of light both of which mess up measurements (measurements NOT time)
    Because time does not exist there is nothing to interact with. But our measurement equipment is a different matter

Make them heavier or lighter in a gravity field or by varying their speed and they go Cockoo GaGa and we have a hard time understanding them

Now I must get back to holiday

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Public forums such as this are open to all and sundry who can claim whatever they like, no matter how false, how stupid or how bizarre. Do you have anything to support your conjecture? Because as of 21/11/2017 both SR and GR have never been stronger.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

So the claim is that perceived mass is the culprit...

8. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

That's part of what I get a sense of from the book
    As are aware the faster you travel time is said to slow
    Which would mean even tiny tiny wennie discrepancies would be catastrophic
    In the dim dark ages of the vinyl records (and still current) the outer edge of the record travels faster than the inner part of the label next to spindle
    So why does the outer edge not slip into the past while the label next to spindle stays current or go to the future?

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Who's to say they don't? As you said, they are travelling at different speeds (albeit only minimally so) - I would be willing to bet that, if we had a sensitive enough chronometer, that difference could be detected. However, I would hazard a guess that it would be a difference of zeptoseconds or less

10. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

OK I think it would be a accumulative problem

Leave that aside. How about someone on equator and someone on the North Pole

How do they fare?

11. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

My clock shows 10:00 AM (event 2).
    This time (moment of the day) is in relation to midnight (event 1).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Probably the same as the record - the amount of dilation is minimal to the point of being moot, even over the course of a lifetime.

The time is not an event - the event in question is when you checked the time.

Even if you had not checked the clock, it would have continued to advance, uncaring of your presence (or lack thereof)

13. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

Event 1: midnight
    Event 2: the Sun is in a certain position in relation to the meridian
    of the Earth (10:00 AM).

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

May as well have said "Event 1: I took a dump" and "Event 2: My cat ate a mouse" for all the relevance there.

Again, you are instigating an event. Even if you were not there to witness the position of the sun, time would still go marching on.

15. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

The arrow of time is given by the material deterioration of things.
    Things go from being new to being old. Time flows in one direction.

16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

new to being old which is age not time

++++++++++

6.3.3 With a Cesium Clock
    The physical state of cesium atom evolves with the cycles it produces, which are
    observable realities, and this leads to the conceptualization:
    CYCLES OF A CESIUM ATOM (phenomenon) ) TIME (concept)
    This in turn leads to a definition of time:
    TIME IS A CONCEPT CORRESPONDING
    TO CYCLES OF A CESIUM ATOM
    Neither river floods, nor the celestial configurations, nor the cesium oscillations,
    which are phenomena, generate time units or time, which are concepts.
    Furthermore, changes in the state of a river, changes in celestial configurations,
    change in human-made devices, are not caused by time: no arrow of time acts on
    rivers, celestial objects, or human artifacts which might be used to define time units
    and time.
    Clocks are not powered by arrows of time. Some run fast, others slow, and
    without energy they would remain dumb, whatever the technology they use.
    Cesium is transtable. Its oscillations are yet another manifestation of the endless
    search for a state of equilibrium. And this provides a more coherent explanation
    than the metaphor arrow of time.

From

The Invention of Time and Space by Patrice F. Dassonville
    ++++++++++

17. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

The diversity of opinions about time is because it is magnitive.
    Time was ineffable because it isn't perceived with the senses.
    Clocks measure time accurately, but we don't perceive it in them.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

? What is it now?

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yes, the nature of time and its fundamental or otherwise nature, appears still open to debate to some extent. And added to that are the diversity of ratbag made up opinionated crap that one often here's espoused on forums such as this.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Throwing your pet pseudo words into the fray doesn't make them, nor you, any more credible

Just because you do not perceive the passage of time does not mean you speak for all of us; an older gentleman I knew a few years ago was accurate to the second without a watch or clock, no matter when you asked him. It was, simply, put, amazing to witness.

21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You guys are on your own.
    This isn't a discussion, it's a commercial for a crank and his website.

22. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Everybody does have their own NOW yes depending on their location
    Example
    Looking out at the landscape my NOW takes in all the close stuff out to the horizon
    If I was on the moon my NOW would encompass a lot more
    Outside the galaxy a whole lot more

Only watched a minute of the video as the hotel in Bali WiFi is Cowpat

Such as magnitive????

I've got flowing water on Iggy. I am not missing anything as I can guess what has been posted through others posted replies. I found my IQ decreasing with flowing water

23. river

The Universal Now , is all movement happening at the same moment , continuiously .

Looking inside the Universe , from outside the Universe , observer , all movement is happening at the same moment .

From the sub-atomic , to the Galactic Core .

Hence movement , therefore time , is based on position of which one finds its self existing .

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.