Does the brain store memory in neurons?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Gravage, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Gravage Registered Senior Member

What I meant to say is that if there was no neurons there wouldn't be any memory to send to all other parts of the brain.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. a_nabacus Registered Member

You are right, neurons carry all (as far as we know) of the information in our brains. Memories are activations of reinforced "images" that have been mapped out in our brains. By 'mapped' i mean that a neuron cannot hold a memory, but it can modify an electrical signal (by either strengthening synapses-- connections between neurons--or growing new ones). This signal then is modified by another part of the brain or transmitted to sensory neurons to simulate a past experience.

There is temporary storage of memories in specified locations in some areas. Not everything is known about these loci--I wish I knew more--but overall, you are correct, memories cannot be stored unless there are neurons to be modified physiologically. Some memories are long-term, others are short-term. It all depends on the area of the brain the memory deals with and the ways it has been reinforced.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

Read Rupert Sheldrakes "Morphic Resonance - The Habits of Nature - The Lessons of the Past" who makes the point that the brain does not store information, which makes some sense. Consideraing all the memories of a lifetime theoretically available for recognition, Colors, smells, shapes changeing patternsns and etc., the brain doesn't have the storage capacity to store all known forms of memory that is using a computer/brain analogy.

Sheldrake make the analogy that the brain and a television set are comparable. A transistor goes out in the TV tuning cricuit and channel 19 and "The Best of the Beverly Hill Billys" doesn't come in, instead you get the Madrid Bullfights and "The Best of Matador El Cordobez" reruns.

Or some brain malfunctions gets you tapped into Napolean's memory source. This implies, obviously that the brain is no more than an antenna, to be sure a very complex and sensitive antenna. The "real" storage mechanism is "nonlocal" in the quantum mechanics theory" sense. This model would explain much of mental activity such as ESP, thinking you are Napoleaon, hearing voices, instinct, "ansers popping into consciouisness, listening to space men, intuition instantaneous message transmission, past life rememberances etc. (all very heretical for sure).

I understand from medical science that sever brain damaged functions can be assumed by other physical parts of the brain that are trauma free and still intact. In other words there is no absolutely invariant localized brain function that cannot migrate, at least partially, to other locations in the brain,

Any discussion on this?

Geistkiesel

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gravage Registered Senior Member

I doubt that brain doesn't store all memory,can you explain me why smell reminds me what happened 30 years ago?

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Because it stored all memory to start with but then selectively kept some and discarded others.

9. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

When a sound, for instance, reaches your ear, by the time it is recognized by you as a familar "sound" the wave form of the sugnal has been changed so many times that your would not be able to distinguish even two succeeding wave forms of the signal much less the fiorst and the last wave form.

You mentioned smell. There are two organs to consider here, at the very least, nose and brain. From studies of amputees and organ donor-donee-transplants, anputees sense the existence of the severed organ long after the event, includng pain; organ donees have reported conduct changes that would not have occured prior to the insertion of the particularr organ transplanted. A biker, a lover of beer and pizza, bought a farm going around a curve a high speed on the wrong side of the road when he was strained through the grill of a Mac Truck he met head on. An organ of the biker was transplanted and the receptor of the organ reported strange urges for beer and pizza, which had never been a part of her "personal makeup".

How did this happen? Suggestion? Coincidence" Hypnotism? Voodoo? Morphic resonance? Conscious lies?

Check out Rupert Sheldrake, "Morphic resonance- The Habits of nature - Presence of the Past" I am not Sheldrake's apologist, nor am I authorized to offer provide his disclamers, nor do I defend bringing the reference to your attention. I am just a messenger.

Geistkiesel